LSWR/SR BODMIN TOWN STATION

N15class

I have just done a Templot drawing for Bodmin North which will form part of a layout (EM gauge) I am building for a customer, below is a pgn of this. i can Email you the Templot file if you PM me your Email address. I also have a lot of scanned photographs.

attachicon.gifbodmin_n.png

Michael Edge

PM sent

Templot is now downloaded. Time to see if I can work out how to use it to build up my track plan. Don't hold your breath it may take a while. I am a bit slow with these things.

Peter

To start with when laying out the plan use diamond crossings (they are on an auto picklist in tools) instead of slips, to save you making the slips then have to move them about

Hi all

I would like to find out what the LSWR and SR plain track sleeper spacings are. I have the 1919 spacings for 45 foot rails, but I would like to know the 60 foot rail spacings for both LSWR and the SR (1930's).

Thanks in advance.

I have been playing with Templot. I have enjoyed the process even if it was a steep learn curve for a computer neanderthal like myself.

Well my ideas have worked, the one down side is it is a little longer than I wanted, but I can live with that. The picture shows what I have come up with. it still needs refining and the slips are just crossing at the moment. I was slightly disappointed because I needed to use A5.5 turnouts as using B6 ones just made it too long. I do not think it will be a problem as most if not all my loco stock will be short wheel based. I may have another go and see what I can come up with B6 to see if I can accept aome more compromise..

Time to think about a layout thread. How soon that will start I am not sure as it will be a while before an start is made. Base boards can be made, but I have no track components to build with, these may have to wait until I am in the UK with the poor postal services here.

post-13601-0-20628600-1391294853_thumb.png

Peter

Its looking very good, I have just started using some Exactoscale turnout parts for my clubs O gauge layout. I have found that it is a nice change from 4 mm scale and making up the lengths or rail and chairs very satisfying. The Vee's and switch blades do take a bit more work, but do look the part

Its a pity they do not do the additional switch, crossing and check rail chairs, as they do in 4 mm as they would really stand out in 7mm. Having said that a few bits of Microstrip should be better than just chopping up chairs. However looking at a few photos I have from various preserved railways the common crossing chairs seem to vary region by region

I have been playing some more on Templot. This plan is using B6 turnouts and 1 in 6 diamonds. I still have not changed the diamonds to slips. That will come after I have finalized what I am doing.

Comments are very welcome

post-13601-0-62281000-1391385719_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the tutorials but they just confused me. I just pressed each button in time and tried to remeber what it did. But I think it was easier for me as it was all straight. I did enjoy it more than I thought I would. I just find double slips a pain in the A to do. Mine will de added only to the finished plan.

Just need to persuade SWMBO that it will extend out of the room when fully erected.

Peter

Nice to see someone else battling with Templot and getting there.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

Have you printed the function key chart, its very useful when you have a brain like mine. Sometimes its better to watch the tutorials after you have used it a bit and got used to it

Sorry for the slow response.

No I had not printed it on my screen the function key list was at top of page.

• RMweb Premium

Peter, are you sure it's all on the top of your screen? There's a 1 page F function table to print and then a document which is something like 10 pages long listing all the keyboard and mouse commands. Both docs are useful but probably not essential. Learning a few keyboard commands does speed up repetitive tasks though.

Peter, are you sure it's all on the top of your screen? There's a 1 page F function table to print and then a document which is something like 10 pages long listing all the keyboard and mouse commands. Both docs are useful but probably not essential. Learning a few keyboard commands does speed up repetitive tasks though.

My mistake. I was just thinking of the function keys. Which are listed. Not the function of all the keys.

Not sure if a printed list would suit me. I would start to look for something get board and see one that interested me, have a play and forget all about what I am supposed to be doing

• RMweb Premium

My mistake. I was just thinking of the function keys. Which are listed. Not the function of all the keys.

Not sure if a printed list would suit me. I would start to look for something get board and see one that interested me, have a play and forget all about what I am supposed to be doing

i read through it once and made my own, much shorter, list of shortcuts that I thought would be useful...

Peter

Its the 1 page sheet 'Templot Function Key Chart' which is very useful for things like Slide (shift + F9) which was called slide through peg. Or Ctrl + shift + F10 to move the page origin for printing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to tomanyspams of this parish I have a load more useful photos.

However if there are any of the platform side of the station building square on without a train in the way. Also the unloading facility for the gas works at the end of the station platform.

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found an aerial veiw of Bodmin SR dated 1932. It seems of changed they way I thought the developement went. See here You need to register to be able to zoom. But it is well worth joining.

It no seems from the evidence I have. The turntable was removed prior to 1932. But the track work was not changed, except for the extension of the rail over where the turntable had been. The kick back siding was still in place.

The next change came I pressume in 1935 this change shown on the Southern Railway Groups plan of the stations layout.

Now this askes the question when was the table actually removed. It is at least 3 years earlier than the track plan was altered. Unfortunatly the 1928 shots on the site do not show enough of the station to see if it was there or not then.

Well it looks like I can move my track plan to nearer to the 1930 era I model, and still not have to worry about making a turntable.

It also show a nice row of railway workers cottages between the station bildings and the gas works.

• 1 month later...

I have been researching the buildings for Bodmin. I see that the South Western Circle do some.

I wondered if any one has copies of these. SWC make it very difficult to become an overseas member, they still work by cheque which is no gaood at all from where I am.

Thanks for any help in advance

Archived