LSWR/SR BODMIN TOWN STATION

N15class

Hi 

I am thinking of basing a layout on Bodmin Town station. I just want to find out if I am barking up the wrong tree. Has anyone got a track plan I could look at. I have some in my books in the UK. Dont want to get them here if it is not going to work. Have other more pressing requirements for sending here.

I know the area around the platform will work nicely, but I cant remember the rest of the station. There does not seem to be anything online, unlike the North Cornwall stations. 

Another question the the 4th line over from the platform is next to a raised platform was this a loading dock or a cattle dock?

I am looking at modelling circa 1930.

Thanks John

I forget to search things like signal box diagrams will book mark your link.

Peter,

John has just beaten me to it! The 4th line over was a cattle dock.  The SRS signal box diagram shows the pre 1937 layout with double trap points by the over bridge .  The www.signalbox.org diagram shows the two sidings west of the signal box.  As the point was not controlled from the box, it is not shown on the SRS diagram.  PM sent.

Thanks Paul

It is such a pain not having all my books with me. 

That is the photo I saw that started me thinking again.  I would like a layout, and always thought it would be based on Corfe Castles track plan. But I do not have the space. This I can have the station up and running in my room. Use it to test locos etc. Then if I want to run the whole thing I add the other boards.into SWMBO space.

Peter

Is this going to be in 7 mm scale?

I love the place, and spent a nice day in the summer with an all day ticket (my wife spent the day at the local historic house near by) enjoying seeing the line several times over,

Will make a super layout, but 2 double and a single slip interesting piece of trackwork

Peter

Is this going to be in 7 mm scale?

I love the place, and spent a nice day in the summer with an all day ticket (my wife spent the day at the local historic house near by) enjoying seeing the line several times over,

Will make a super layout, but 2 double and a single slip interesting piece of trackwork

Yes it will be 7mm scale. I will just be loosely basing the track on Bodmin. I will probably us the station building too. As for the others I am not sure will look to see what takes my fancy. They will of coarse be LSWR buildings.

In his book "The Steaming 60s, No. 4" (Irwell Press) Peter Coster points out that these days it's known as Sainsbury's. Could be an interesting (?) alternative take.

I know the site since the railway went, My mum lives close by. May take another look next time I am over.

There was always a cattle pen at this location, the original LSWR pen was renewed by the SR some time in the 1930s.

​I queried it only because a 1937 signal plan did not have it there. I suppose it was on a ground frame rather than controlled from the box.

The station featured in Modeller's Backtrack, with prototype track plan and a condensed model version. Not sure which issue, but it was 20 years ago!

I believe the South Western Circle may have drawings of some of the buildings.

As with any layout based on a rel place, it is worth paying a visit to old-maps.co.uk

Simon

I am getting looking at maps at the moment. My thoughts at the minute are to use the track plan adjusted to fit my space. I like the station building so will probably use it. but goods shed etc will more than likely be other LSWR structures. I do not feel I would be able to the station justice being to far from easy research.

Coal for gas works rarely travelled further on rail than it had to. If a port was closer than a suitable colliery, then the coal would almost certainly have been brought to that port by coaster and then tripped from there to the gas works by rail. I assume that in the case of Bodmin the coal might well have been landed at Wadebridge Quay (from South Wales), coal certainly being handled there. I would have expected the gas works to have a small number of PO wagons of its own for such traffic, the alternative being the use of "pool" railway company open wagons - I have seen a pre-1914 photo of LSWR wagons at Bodmin loaded with large coal that was unlikely to be for domestic use, which might support the use of "pool" wagons in SR days.

Coal for gas works rarely travelled further on rail than it had to. If a port was closer than a suitable colliery, then the coal would almost certainly have been brought to that port by coaster and then tripped from there to the gas works by rail. I assume that in the case of Bodmin the coal might well have been landed at Wadebridge Quay (from South Wales), coal certainly being handled there. I would have expected the gas works to have a small number of PO wagons of its own for such traffic, the alternative being the use of "pool" railway company open wagons - I have seen a pre-1914 photo of LSWR wagons at Bodmin loaded with large coal that was unlikely to be for domestic use, which might support the use of "pool" wagons in SR days.

I would also like to see that I think I need to be doing some more searches.

Peter,

Will have a detailed study over a coffee or two ... five....over the weekend. :) Will report back.

Thanks Paul

It would be so much easier with my books here. At least you can get a magnifying glass to a picture, on here you zoom in and end up with a blurred mess.

They are similar in character, but different in detail. The SWC can provide extensive drawing coverage of Bodmin, and I believe that Wadebridge drawings have been published, (though not immediately to hand).

Thanks.

I used to be a member. I was thinking of joining again, but they make it for overseas members by only doing cheques. I will have to hope I can get the information elsewhere.

Study over a couple of coffees has revealed that the only similarity is that they are both single story and stone built.  They are somewhat different, especially from the forecourt aspect.  

Bodmin was a longer building and had a simple hip roof.  The position of the forecourt entrance with associated canopy was offset to the left and it had more windows (11) than Wadebridge (5), mainly in pairs.  At the west end, there was a dormer louvered vent in the roof and at the extreme east end, a third chimney for a fire located on centre of the east wall.  The style of the canopy is different.  It had a steeper pitch than Wadebridge and triangular cut-outs in both ends, but they were also rounded at the lower ends.  It appears to run the full length of the building.  On the platform, the arrangement of the doors and windows appear different from Wadebridge.  Both buildings suffer from a lack of photos in my books from the station side taken at 90 deg to the running line.

The front forecourt wall of Wadebridge had a recess of about 18" in the middle, but the two wings either side were not symmetrical.  This resulted in a very unusual design for the roof from that side. If you go to Google maps here: 50.515097,-4.83441, you can see the roof layout, but additions to the building at the front mean you can no longer see the original front elevation.  The dormers in the NW and SE roof faces appear to be post closure additions.  The three chimneys in the roof, all rose out of the central section of the hip. The forecourt entrance was by a door on the left had end of the recess and had a small canopy. The plstform canopy did not run the full length of the building and was of a shallower angle than Bodmin and had no cut-outs in the ends.

Thanks Paul

The only photos I can find online, of the right sort of age are all at 45 degrees or more, and not very clear. The building when on the layout will be in relief so it is only the platform side and ends. My thoughts as to whether they were the same, was if they where research for me would be easy as I would get my sister to take a photo two with her weekly shop.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been studying the track plans and a selection of photos kindly sent to me by PD&SWJR. I now think I can use the track plan, I will have to shorten it to fit what I have available. I will be able to retain all the details of the layout though. Whether or not I copy all the buildings I am unsure. I will most definitely use the station building and try to copy the wagon unloading for the gas works. As for the goods shed, and signal box. I may use ones from other locations. But then again we need to wait and see.

Now I need to download Templot and see if there is any chance of me being able to work it. The track is interesting as I thought there were 2 double slips and a single one. The double nearest the end of the line, looks to be more like an outside slip (I think that is what they are called). I could be wrong as there are not may pictures it can be seen in.

The basics will be the platform run round will hold two 48 foot carriages maybe with a 6 wheeled brake. the spur will take a 0-6-0 and I might be able to stretch it to take a 4-4-0 and 8 wheeled tender. This will take a bit more research. The platform itself will be 6 to 6.5 feet long so two 48s will look right in there. Over all the scenic part will be 16 feet long. From the gas works it will go down hill 1 in 50 towards the bridge. There will be plenty of space for wagons and lots of shunting to supply the gas works with coal. All this in a width of 2.5 feet. All in 7mm scale.

Once I am sure I can do the plan on Templot I will start a thread for the layout. In the mean time I am still looking for photos of the goods shed, signal box and any coal pens for the local merchant etc.

• RMweb Gold

I have been studying the track plans and a selection of photos kindly sent to me by PD&SWJR. I now think I can use the track plan, I will have to shorten it to fit what I have available. I will be able to retain all the details of the layout though. Whether or not I copy all the buildings I am unsure. I will most definitely use the station building and try to copy the wagon unloading for the gas works. As for the goods shed, and signal box. I may use ones from other locations. But then again we need to wait and see.

Now I need to download Templot and see if there is any chance of me being able to work it. The track is interesting as I thought there were 2 double slips and a single one. The double nearest the end of the line, looks to be more like an outside slip (I think that is what they are called). I could be wrong as there are not may pictures it can be seen in.

The basics will be the platform run round will hold two 48 foot carriages maybe with a 6 wheeled brake. the spur will take a 0-6-0 and I might be able to stretch it to take a 4-4-0 and 8 wheeled tender. This will take a bit more research. The platform itself will be 6 to 6.5 feet long so two 48s will look right in there. Over all the scenic part will be 16 feet long. From the gas works it will go down hill 1 in 50 towards the bridge. There will be plenty of space for wagons and lots of shunting to supply the gas works with coal. All this in a width of 2.5 feet. All in 7mm scale.

Once I am sure I can do the plan on Templot I will start a thread for the layout. In the mean time I am still looking for photos of the goods shed, signal box and any coal pens for the local merchant etc.

I think it may be a bit of a battle to fit it into just 16' length and keep any sort of proportion to it. 2'6" width may be a bit tight as well.

Martin Wynne, in another thread, points out that Templot is optimised for designing pieces of trackwork rather than for layout planning. That said, on my second try at Templot, I found that it could be mastered well enough to draw layout plans fairly easily. If you don't manage it, PM me and I will do it on Trax2 which I can still do a lot quicker than Templot.

An outside slip could be a space-saver on the layout (wider crossing angle = shorter length). I can't see any obvious reason why it would need one on the prototype.

I think it may be a bit of a battle to fit it into just 16' length and keep any sort of proportion to it. 2'6" width may be a bit tight as well.

Martin Wynne, in another thread, points out that Templot is optimised for designing pieces of trackwork rather than for layout planning. That said, on my second try at Templot, I found that it could be mastered well enough to draw layout plans fairly easily. If you don't manage it, PM me and I will do it on Trax2 which I can still do a lot quicker than Templot.

An outside slip could be a space-saver on the layout (wider crossing angle = shorter length). I can't see any obvious reason why it would need one on the prototype.

Hi Joseph

I have not got the space to get the track plan done to scale. But I have got enough space to get all the track layout in, but it will be shortened I have done the sums and it will fit. As for the width there is at the station four tracks set not much more than normal running distance apart. I will have the station building in half or quarter relief and the cattle dock on the other side. Space for the goods shed will be tight I may just need to use a little license on that one.

Once I have sorted train lengths I may be able to grab a few more inches in length, as I have allowed 4 feet for the fiddle yard, which will either be a cassette system or traverser.

Thanks for the offer I want to have a go to see if I can work their CAD program. But will keep your offer in mind.

Peter 

Super idea, any chance of seeing what you have in mind and then how the plan/idea develops

Hi John

I will start a layout thread once I get my head around Templot and can design the baseboards. I will have to do the design in such a way that I can have 2 boards up in my room at a time, I want to keep the station boards up at all times and use it for testing and photography. This may take some time.

I had always wanted to use Corfe Castle track layout. Although long and narrow it is a through station which makes it very long with a fiddle yard at each end. Having just remembered Bodmin I thought it needed some serious research, it all looks as though it will work nicely.

• RMweb Premium

I have just done a Templot drawing for Bodmin North which will form part of a layout (EM gauge) I am building for a customer, below is a pgn of this. i can Email you the Templot file if you PM me your Email address. I also have a lot of scanned photographs.

post-1643-0-94211000-1389619719_thumb.png

Michael Edge

Archived