LSWR/SR BODMIN TOWN STATION

N15class

• 3 months later...

I have been playing with templot again and think I have come up with a workable track plan. Not quite sure what the planning department will say. I am at 5.6 metres without the fiddle yard, at least trains are short, I should not need it any longer than 1.2 metres.

Now how do I fit into a 3 metre room? I am quite looking forward to tackling the task. It will again be a slow project as I have to do the baseboards and a quick count up I think the track work from C&L will be over £200 without ant point motors etc. I will design the boards so that the fiddle yard will fit on any board. This would mean I can have two consecutive boards in my room and the fiddle on the end so I can play at any stage of construction etc. Being that the track plan is very I think this will be fairly straight forward, especially if I have a traverser fiddle.

Well here is a Templot sketch showing the basics. The viewing side will be from the top of the picture.

post-13601-0-75971900-1410032372_thumb.png

So why do I pick a track plan that includes 2 double and a single slip when I have not built any track work for 20 years.

Any thoughts will be gratefully received, as it is a while since I have had a layout, and never one in 7mm.

I have been playing with templot again and think I have come up with a workable track plan. Not quite sure what the planning department will say. I am at 5.6 metres without the fiddle yard, at least trains are short, I should not need it any longer than 1.2 metres.

Now how do I fit into a 3 metre room? I am quite looking forward to tackling the task. It will again be a slow project as I have to do the baseboards and a quick count up I think the track work from C&L will be over £200 without ant point motors etc. I will design the boards so that the fiddle yard will fit on any board. This would mean I can have two consecutive boards in my room and the fiddle on the end so I can play at any stage of construction etc. Being that the track plan is very I think this will be fairly straight forward, especially if I have a traverser fiddle.

Well here is a Templot sketch showing the basics. The viewing side will be from the top of the picture.

attachicon.gifbodmin_6.png

So why do I pick a track plan that includes 2 double and a single slip when I have not built any track work for 20 years.

Any thoughts will be gratefully received, as it is a while since I have had a layout, and never one in 7mm.

Peter

Are you aware that there are some 7 mm common crossing and check rail chairs available in Shapeways. Not bought any myself yet, the 4 mm Exactoscale ones are super, in 7 mm scale they should be stunning

Peter, great start. Bodmin North wasn't a small station when you measure it up was it?

Hi Chris

No it was not, I think ideal layout material being long and narrow. I don't think my shortening has upset the operating potential. The platform is about 7feet long which will look good with a 2 coach train in it. The siding platform side at the end will hold 7 wagons. Which is my stock at the moment. I like it as there will be lots of coal wagon pushing and shoving.

Peter

Are you aware that there are some 7 mm common crossing and check rail chairs available in Shapeways. Not bought any myself yet, the 4 mm Exactoscale ones are super, in 7 mm scale they should be stunning

Thanks for the pointer, C&L who have exactoscales stuff do not do common crossing or check rail chairs in 7mm. I will take a look at shapeways.

attachicon.gifbodmin_6.png

Pete

I have very limited experience with 7 mm track, however what I have built has been very pleasurable. On the negative side when filing the rail as it has nearly 4 times the mass than 4 mm you have 4 times the metal to remove and you have to be more precise, this is more than repaid by the look of the work where the extra effort in building really shows up. The chairs are far easier to thread and it is possible to partially make some of the block chairs by chopping up standard ones.

The Shapeways special chairs look very good, here are a couple of links. Sadly at the moment LNER & GER chairs, 1-6 crossing and still waiting for additional switch chairs

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2465&forum_id=6&jump_to=16793#p16792

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/otr?s=0&section=Chairs

Pete

I have very limited experience with 7 mm track, however what I have built has been very pleasurable. On the negative side when filing the rail as it has nearly 4 times the mass than 4 mm you have 4 times the metal to remove and you have to be more precise, this is more than repaid by the look of the work where the extra effort in building really shows up. The chairs are far easier to thread and it is possible to partially make some of the block chairs by chopping up standard ones.

The Shapeways special chairs look very good, here are a couple of links. Sadly at the moment LNER & GER chairs, 1-6 crossing and still waiting for additional switch chairs

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2465&forum_id=6&jump_to=16793#p16792

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/otr?s=0&section=Chairs

I had a look at them they look very good. But the crossing chairs are rather expensive to cut up when you need 14 sets of them. But it may be worth getting the check rail chairs as the do 1.5 spacing for 31,5 gauge.

There is a rather macabre anecdote that the B&W ran excursion trains from Wadebridge to Bodmin to enable the public to watch open-air executions at the gaol from the station.

PB

That was in the days when all executions were public. I was surprised how recently they stopped being public.

• 7 months later...

Peter, are you aware that the current (May 2015) BRM has a 7mm layout based on Bodmin North as the lead article?

Mr York has taken some great photos of it. 

Yes I was Chris I was going to get a digital copy, But some kind soul has saved me the bother just need to look at it properly now.

Peter

Though I am not building Bodmin or any other Cornish layout just about to order an 0 gauge loco kit. At St Albans show I spent 2 days next to the Roxey Mouldings stand and their 0 gauge tank locos were very tempting. Now I am still leaning towards the SR P class tank, as its so small and I have a Wills model to build. Having said that their Beattie well tank is so tempting, a bit bigger but oh so tempting. Just asking how many of the add-ons to buy 

Peter

Though I am not building Bodmin or any other Cornish layout just about to order an 0 gauge loco kit. At St Albans show I spent 2 days next to the Roxey Mouldings stand and their 0 gauge tank locos were very tempting. Now I am still leaning towards the SR P class tank, as its so small and I have a Wills model to build. Having said that their Beattie well tank is so tempting, a bit bigger but oh so tempting. Just asking how many of the add-ons to buy 

I would go for the BWT but be careful as it was rebuilt a few times the Roxey one is suitable from the early 1930's. I would use as many of Laurie Griffins casting, they are really good. The only bit I am not to sure about is his slide bars and crossheads, they seem a little big.

O gauge is very addictive I had to build a loco for a friend, once I started the build all my 4mm stuff was pensioned off and I have not built a 4mm loco since.

Archived