The Furness Valley Railroad

chaz

I went to the Winchester Continental O gauge show on Saturday and bought these three Model Ts.

(how do I get rid of the horrid yellow background?)

post-9071-0-79163600-1508188698.jpg

£5 for the three. A bargain I think. The lurid colours will have to go. 

post-9071-0-48010900-1508188783.jpg

I made a start on the one above by flatting the shine and removing the Bird's Custard Powder transfer with a glass fibre brush. That yellow roof will have to go.

Chaz

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the track layout of Dixon

post-9071-0-06084400-1509267424.jpg

Switches sprayed with rust colour and ties painted with Humbrol natural wood.

post-9071-0-23912700-1509267579.jpg

The curve round from coal-mine junction laid and the first switch positioned. 

post-9071-0-34016500-1509267688.jpg

First section of the team track in place with the switch for the kick-back spur fitted.

post-9071-0-56907900-1509267816.jpg

The kick-back spur laid. Interesting that it looks a much sharper curve compared with the curve of the main line. This must be an illusion caused by the "S" alignment.

post-9071-0-87820200-1509267968.jpg

Team track nearly completed. The end point can't be decided until the depot building has been tried in place.

None of this is wired. As there is a wide shelf under these boards which will need to be removed all the wiring and the Tortoise motors will be done later. Every piece of rail has it's dropper wire soldered on and fed through a hole.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 5

Nice progress Chaz. I assume the shelf will be easily removeable for access to the tortoises.

Don

Yes Don. Just about everything on the shelf is in boxes, and the shelf and its supporting rails are fastened only with a few wood screws - it shouldn't take too long to move it all out of the way.    :scratchhead:

Edited by chaz

I am really enjoying hand-laying the track. I know I could have bought ready-made 16.5mm n.g. track that would have taken a fraction of the time to lay but I am finding it very satisfying to do it myself.

I had a conversation with a friend at a recent show and he suggested that I replace my timber ties at intervals with PCB ones. This has sped up the laying considerably. I solder the rail to the ties on a jig - both rails for straight track, one rail for a curve. For a curve I lay the incomplete track section in position and solder the second rail - once this is done the curve is set. I glue the timber ties in threes to the baseboard to fill the interval between the PCB ones and then place the track from the jig in place. The rail is spiked to the middle tie of each group of three. This shortens the laying and keeps the track very accurately to gauge as the spikes are less crucial, all they have to do is hold the track section firmly down. It does involve a compromise with the painted PCB ties looking different to the stained balsa and having the insulating gap in the copper foil which can be obvious in oblique lighting (memo to self - do not use oblique lighting).

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the PCB ties could be sacrificial. Attach the rail to the PCB sleepers as above but when laying place them btween where you want ties then fit in the timber ties and spike down. After that remove the PCB ones the extra time removing the PCB ones could save time on painting and detailing the track. Just a thought.

Don

I wonder if the PCB ties could be sacrificial. Attach the rail to the PCB sleepers as above but when laying place them btween where you want ties then fit in the timber ties and spike down. After that remove the PCB ones the extra time removing the PCB ones could save time on painting and detailing the track. Just a thought.

Don

That would certainly be possible Don, however I am relying on the PCB ties to maintain the gauge. I only spike the centre of the three wood ties on one side, and the next one on the other - so first on the left and then on the right - zig-zagging down the track. I think that if I weather some of the painted PCB ties so that their colour varies the problem will disappear. I suppose I could fill the insulating gap but I don't see this happening, there are just so many other things I would rather spend time on (there are an awful lot of them).

Chaz

Further progress with the trackwork for Dixon

post-9071-0-94511700-1509780978.jpg

All this track is spiked down, every rail has a dropper wire which is hanging below but not yet connected to anything. All the switches await their Tortoise point motors and the whole layout needs ballasting.   :O 

post-9071-0-09796400-1509781057.jpg

A view looking back from the far end. I regret that I don’t have the space to bring all the tracks back to a common spur so the layout has less of a U.S. look than it should. The spur beyond the release crossover is just long enough for a Bachmann ten-wheeler and the main track, inside the passing siding, will accommodate three Bachmann passenger cars. Compromises are forced by my lack of space.

There are two more switches to install in the area on the left where spurs will serve some industries and the tracks on and off the turntable need putting in.

I am not regretting my decision to hand-lay the track with switches built on a Fast Tracks jig. The track layout would have been complete months ago had I opted to use ready-made but the satisfaction of doing it myself is a big plus.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice trackwork Chaz. To me Handlaid track always seems to have a better flow. However the bit that really grabbed me was looking towards the buffers at the woods in the distance it may only be a narrow section with the track running through but from a distance it looks like a real wood and the sillouettes on the backscene help to create that effect.

Don

Nice trackwork Chaz. To me Handlaid track always seems to have a better flow. However the bit that really grabbed me was looking towards the buffers at the woods in the distance it may only be a narrow section with the track running through but from a distance it looks like a real wood and the sillouettes on the backscene help to create that effect.

Don

Thanks for the comments Don. I think that the track looks a bit too "obvious" at the moment,  but judging by what happened to the layout at Stoke's Ferry the ballasting will tone it down and the cork dust ground cover effect will also help to tie it all into the scene.

I'm really pleased with the wood myself, although most of the trees could do with being about twice as tall. There will be more trees when I have decided how many buildings to put in the town of Dixon.

Chaz

A big effort on the track at Dixon and here's the state of play...

post-9071-0-20665900-1510304144.jpg

The plan is that the spur on which the boxcar is standing will be inside a building.

post-9071-0-53158400-1510304237.jpg

Looking the other way reveals the large space to the right of the yard, before it fans out. I am thinking of a jumble of buildings to form a backdrop to the action.

The track that remains to be done will all be connected to the turntable, so the engine yard and engine house will not require any switches (phew!). I did a small height test.

post-9071-0-11825300-1510304565.jpg

I followed the advice in the instructions in the turntable kit and used a length of code 100 Peco 00 track across the table deck, breaking the sleeper base away once the rails were spiked. The track in the yard is code 83. A potential mismatch in height needs sorting. The two pieces of white packing under the ties are from breakfast cereal boxes. They provide almost exactly the right height correction.

I need to decide how I will anchor the rail ends on the well rim. There isn't room under the rails for a piece of PCB so maybe a couple of pieces of brass sheet can be glued to the rim to which the rails can be soldered. Any expansion in the rail will be away from the table (a gap in the joint at the other end).

Chaz

PS - my Lumix compact camera doesn't seem to cope very well with colour balance under the fluorescent tubes. I think I must have a go with my Nikon to see how well that manages.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 3

Good progress Chaz. At the TT would a thin card sleeper and a small brass pin either side which the rail could be solderd to and painted could simulate the spike.

Don

Yes, Don, that would work. I haven't decided how to deal with the tracks onto the table yet.

Chaz

Some quicky low-relief building shapes to form a backscene at Dixon.

post-9071-0-71834400-1510387015.jpg

These are by no means accurate representatives of what I will build. Think of them as 3D sketches, Aunt Sallys to be mulled over and improved upon.

post-9071-0-78250600-1510387134.jpg

The canopy over the boxcar is rather too big, out of proportion with the building it's on, and will need some adjustment....

Chaz

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The mock ups look pretty useful for getting the idea of what it will look like and adjusting the buildings before taking a lot of trouble to build them.

Don

Edited by Donw

The mock ups look pretty useful for getting the idea of what it will look like and adjusting the buildings before taking a lot of trouble to build them.

Don

Exactly, Don. They can be tried out, adjusted quickly, carved about, junked and replaced until the arrangement appeals. I did think about drawing on doors and windows to give an impression of upper and lower storeys - and I may still do this. I did something similar in the early days of Dock Green, only I used Kappa board - rather more expensive!

Chaz

Chaz,

Came across this photo the other day - puts into perspective the different sizes of SG and NG.

attachicon.gifBoxcars.jpg

Also some interesting track.

attachicon.gifUS Mixed gauge.jpg

Thanks for posting those. The photo of the boxcars is particularly impressive.

Some modellers include a length of standard gauge track on their narrow gauge layouts so that they can stage just such a comparison. There isn't room for this on the FVRR and it wouldn't make sense - if an s.g. line had reached the top end of the valley where the coal mine supposedly is the FVRR would be out of business.

If I can hijack the thread for a mo, on Questa I have a short section of standard gauge track (old Triang Big Big track which is a good representation of spiked track) with a tank & stock car on it. It is useful for explaining to visitors that this is a narrow gauge railroad and show them the difference between standard gauge and narrow gauge, otherwise I am sure they are not certain what they are looking at (judging from the comments I hear).

post-10483-0-78241300-1510595796.jpg

Obviously this is not important on the Furness Valley as being a home layout anyone lucky enough to visit will know exactly what they are seeing.

Rgds Andrew

• Like 1

If I can hijack the thread for a mo, on Questa I have a short section of standard gauge track (old Triang Big Big track which is a good representation of spiked track) with a tank & stock car on it. It is useful for explaining to visitors that this is a narrow gauge railroad and show them the difference between standard gauge and narrow gauge, otherwise I am sure they are not certain what they are looking at (judging from the comments I hear).

attachicon.gifTolworth 01.jpg

Obviously this is not important on the Furness Valley as being a home layout anyone lucky enough to visit will know exactly what they are seeing.

Rgds Andrew

Your hijack is welcome. I do like the idea of the S.G. track for comparison and and your photo makes the point really well. I think that on the FV the buildings may well do the job. They will give a sense of scale to the scenes and point up how small the trains are, won't they?

Chaz

Thanks Chas

When I was looking at the buildings for Questa I kept thinking they were too large when compared with rolling stock. I had to keep bringing out the standard gauge wagons to get the right size. As it is I think some of the buildings are on the small size but they feel better in the limited space of the layout.

The warehouse was a K-line clip together kit that was butchered into something more useful.  These kits appear to be to a slightly smaller 1:50? scale.

post-10483-0-35627700-1510652167.jpg

post-10483-0-42385500-1510654910.jpg

Looking at it now I wish I had gone for a taller building.

Rgds Andrew

Edited by AJon30

Thanks Chas

When I was looking at the buildings for Questa I kept thinking they were too large when compared with rolling stock. I had to keep bringing out the standard gauge wagons to get the right size. As it is I think some of the buildings are on the small size but they feel better in the limited space of the layout.

The warehouse was a K-line clip together kit that was butchered into something more useful.  These kits appear to be to a slightly smaller 1:50? scale.

attachicon.gifk-line factory.jpg

attachicon.gifWarehouse.jpg

Looking at it now I wish I had gone for a taller building.

Rgds Andrew

Thanks for posting that. I am intending to scratch build some of my buildings but I would be happy to use any kits that would reduce the amount of work involve, if they can be chopped to fit the sites.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Chaz,

On Leesburg the Banta kits seemed on the small size but the Laser Art depot seemed too large - I queried the size of the doors (scale 9') with the kit manufacturer but they said it was copied from drawings....

I don't know about the American but a lot of architects drawings in the UK are 1:50  perhaps they used a 1:50 drawing thinking it was close enough. However if the car beds are lower on narrow gauge the building would be a bit lower and any overhanging awnings could be lower no point in wasting money on buildings. no bigger than needed to do the job would make sense.

Don