The Furness Valley Railroad

chaz

I opened up the tender of #29 and found that it had been fitted with a Zimo twin sugar-cube speaker, which might have quite a lot to do with the excellent sound quality. These go for £20 but are worth every penny IMO.

Chaz

Having spoken to Paul Martin at the Reading trade show I now own the 2-8-0 #29 with the TCS WOW sound decoder fitted. After the dust has settled on the Peterborough show next week I intend to get going again on the FVRR. There are rather a lot of jobs to be done but high on the list are #29, the Mogul #12, finishing the last two hopper cars and - a major project - building the engine house kit and working up the engine yard around it and the turntable. Not much chance of getting all that done before Christmas but I can make a start!

Chaz

• Like 2

I was at the Peterborough show for the weekend with Dock Green. Walking round on one of my "off duty" moments I saw a copy of the Colorado Rail Annual No. 12, entitled "The South Park Line - a Concise History". I bought it and have been looking at it ever since I got home. It's a fascinating book about a railroad that I knew very little about. It had a chequered history and it's poverty and light construction meant that small light locomotives worked on it until its demise in the thirties. It never had anything as big and powerful as the DRGW Mikados. 

One locomotive type that has intrigued me as I read is the Mason Bogie. The 2-6-6T DL&G No. 57 (DSP&P No. 24) features in several photos in the book and is the subject of an article of its own. Does anyone know of a drawing of this machine - possibly in an issue of the NG&SLG? 

Chaz

Silly me! A Google later on today brought up http://ross-crain.com with lots of drawings, pictures etc of Mason Bogie locomotives.

Edited by chaz

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got Decoder Pro and SPROG to talk to the Economi decoder in #25 (a Bachmann ten-wheeler) after installing the latest version of Decoder Pro. After resetting the chip to factory defaults I spent an enjoyable hour or so setting the top speed, acceleration and deceleration rates and the various sound volumes. next step is to to move the loco from the programming track to the layout and see how well the settings work in traffic.

As I don't intend to make any changes to the detailing of this locomotive apart from some more convincing coal on the tender and a crew  this would seem to be a prime candidate for my next weathering project. When I do the weathering I will post a note here and you can use the link below to jump to my weathering projects topic.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have weathered #7 - the 2-4-0. Here are three photos of the loco switching some flat cars at Stoke's Ferry.

post-9071-0-04580600-1546645970.jpg

post-9071-0-57294600-1546646035.jpg

post-9071-0-01748300-1546646056.jpg

For a few notes on the weathering follow the link below to my weathering topic.

Chaz

post-9071-0-04580600-1546645970.jpg

post-9071-0-57294600-1546646035.jpg

post-9071-0-01748300-1546646056.jpg

• Like 6

One locomotive type that has intrigued me as I read is the Mason Bogie. The 2-6-6T DL&G No. 57 (DSP&P No. 24) features in several photos in the book and is the subject of an article of its own. Does anyone know of a drawing of this machine - possibly in an issue of the NG&SLG? 

Interesting loco. With the long solid frame, I would expect cornering ability to be compromised and rear overhang to be excessive.

Interesting loco. With the long solid frame, I would expect cornering ability to be compromised and rear overhang to be excessive.

As I understand it the engine is pivoted (the pivot being on the centre line of the cylinders), so is in essence a bogie and with the six wheel rear bogie also pivoted there should be no problem, it will track just like any other vehicle with two bogies. 

I am going to investigate making a model using the front engine of a Bachmann mallet*. Excessive rear overhang is something any Bachmann Forney owner will know about!

*might well have to source a six-wheeled 16.5mm gauge motor bogie to power the whole caboodle - any ideas?

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

The forney is rather like a Fairlie then. I have a Roundhouse Taliesin live steam with the driving bogie able to swivel despite the steam pipes. I seem to remember a discussion with either Colin Binnie or Don Borham about such locos. One common solution seems to build the bit with the driving wheels as a bogie with a sort of frame piece over the mechanism. The attachement to the body is via a pivot at the top of the frame piece allowing all the working bits to swivel. Ideally the motor needs to be mounted vertically to allow full swivel.

Don

PS perhaps a Bullant might be what you need http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/bullant%20intro.htm

The forney is rather like a Fairlie then. I have a Roundhouse Taliesin live steam with the driving bogie able to swivel despite the steam pipes. I seem to remember a discussion with either Colin Binnie or Don Borham about such locos. One common solution seems to build the bit with the driving wheels as a bogie with a sort of frame piece over the mechanism. The attachement to the body is via a pivot at the top of the frame piece allowing all the working bits to swivel. Ideally the motor needs to be mounted vertically to allow full swivel.

Don

PS perhaps a Bullant might be what you need http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/bullant%20intro.htm

Yes, Don. IIRC the original Forneys, which ran on the 2 foot gauge Maine NG lines were based on the Welsh single Fairlie. If I build the Mason bogie I may well leave the engine unpowered and drive the loco with a powered six wheel bogie. The prototypes were not very powerful, a couple of passenger cars was about their lot so a single power bogie with a reasonable amount of weight over it should suffice.

Chaz,

Here's an interesting deal. Bachmann used to do a 2-6-6-2 of similar but haven't seen it for sale lately.

https://www.micromark.com/Bachmann-Spectrum-On30-Narrow-Gauge-2-4-4-2-Painted-Black-Unlettered-Steel-Cab-DCC-Equipped

Yes Jeff. I will be hoping to find a 2nd hand Bachmann 2-6-6-2 which I can pull apart to provide the engine bogie.

Chaz

I checked out the Bullant link that you gave me, Don, as it would be a possible for the six-wheeled carrying bogie - however the max' wheel size of 11.4mm rules it out as the prototype wheels scale at 14 - 14.5mm diameter.

I am following up other possibilities - no rush, this is a long term project.

Chaz

Probably a VERY silly question, but could you have the drive to the rear (tender-end) wheels, as a separate bogie, leaving the "drivers and cylinders" on a centrally-pivoted "swivelley-bit" to themselves? Somewhat like a very close-coupled version of one of the LNWR steam-motors .Just my illogical lateral thought process!

Edited by shortliner

Probably a VERY silly question, but could you have the drive to the rear (tender-end) wheels, as a separate bogie, leaving the "drivers and cylinders" on a centrally-pivoted "swivelley-bit" to themselves? Somewhat like a very close-coupled version of one of the LNWR steam-motors .Just my illogical lateral thought process!

That is my current thinking, a three-axle motor bogie. It will avoid cluttering up the daylight between the boiler and the engine ("drivers and cylinders") with the motor and drive and there is a coal bunker/water tank in which to hide it. 

However the engine will not have a central pivot. The pivot on the real thing was on the centreline of the cylinders, presumably to facilitate the flexible steam pipe connections. 

The mechanical connection from the reverser to the valve gear was routed from the top of the boiler to minimise the problems involved when the engine unit pivoted on a curve. That might cause problems on my two foot radius curves!

Chaz

That is my current thinking, a three-axle motor bogie. It will avoid cluttering up the daylight between the boiler and the engine ("drivers and cylinders") with the motor and drive and there is a coal bunker/water tank in which to hide it. 

However the engine will not have a central pivot. The pivot on the real thing was on the centreline of the cylinders, presumably to facilitate the flexible steam pipe connections. 

The mechanical connection from the reverser to the valve gear was routed from the top of the boiler to minimise the problems involved when the engine unit pivoted on a curve. That might cause problems on my two foot radius curves!

Chaz

Ah so the silly old s*d is not quite as silly as he thought - thanks for setting my mind at rest  :senile:  [Not sure if that moves me up with "Great Minds....",  or drops you down to my level!]

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Ah so the silly old s*d is not quite as silly as he thought - thanks for setting my mind at rest  :senile:  [Not sure if that moves me up with "Great Minds....",  or drops you down to my level!]

I couldn't possibly comment but I will say that I'm not sure yet that anything will come of all this. Firstly it depends on finding a 2nd hand Bachmann 2-6-6-2 that I can cannibalise and then on a suitable 3 axle motor bogie. I am at present talking to Mark Clark about a 3D printed bogie. 

Chaz

• 2 months later...

In fact progress on the layout has stalled in favour of getting some of the locos into service. Following on from #7 I next worked on #10.

P1080851.jpg.c9a4dca090f6733357e9f3206a44c13a.jpg

Headlamp bracket removed and lamp re-positioned

pilot with non-working coupling replaced with the Bachmann upgrade

cab side windows plated

TCS WOW decoder in cab roof with keep alive behind side sheet and sugar cube speaker in smokebox - sounds excellent!

weathering done with powders

P1080859.jpg.ffb15ec1e282afe70dca41002b2a7d30.jpg

coal plate added across tender top

Woodland Scenics coal lumps to improve plastic "coal" effect

P1080853.jpg.3f31936d304a0685a4f5b7467c4abeac.jpg

P1080856.jpg.ccabca3f6c5759ab4d6b0dc6fc40746e.jpg

Bit of a sweety? Wheels and rods still to be weathered.

Chaz

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

15 hours ago, James Harrison said:

What is that barrel for on top of the boiler?  Backwoods feedwater heater? :lol:  Either way, a very interesting little loco and brilliant work. 

It's an air tank for the air brakes. I am told it's a very unusual position for it - it was more usual for it to be under the running boards or on the tender. In fact I was told that there was only one railroad and possibly only one loco that used this arrangement. But as I pointed out to my informant he was wrong, the Furness Valley definitely had a couple of moguls with tanks on the boiler top - and I am modelling them! Rule One always applies.

Chaz

• Like 4

My latest work has been on a Bachmann 2-8-0 - A Consolidation (or Conny).

XIWgvJ4.jpg

Same techniques that I used on the Mogul

1. gloss varnish on the panels where decals are to go (2 coats of Vallejo thinned 50/50 applied with a brush)
  2. transfers added and allowed time to dry
  3. matte varnish (Vallejo again) airbrushed onto the whole loco except the wheels and rods and allowed time to dry
  4. weathering powders brushed on - colours - black, smoke, dark earth, rust, greys and white.

hwIYDiS.jpg

P9OdolG.jpg

l1rGATr.jpg

From some angles the camera is very unkind in spotting the edge of the decals. Watching the loco run from a reasonable viewing distance the effect is negligible.

The running and sound from a TCS WOW chip is excellent and the bundled keep-alive makes stalls from dusty track a thing of the past.

Chaz

• Like 5

#29 joins #27 on the FVRR roster ( #28 awaits some parts missing from the pilot beam).

P1080879.jpg.ba024aab8818198a5250beb1954542ba.jpg

2 coats of Vallejo matte varnish (magic stuff) airbrushed on to provide a key for the weathering powders.

P1080880.jpg.9bf5264408bc7cc022fc6b82cdcfc768.jpg

As so often seems to happen the camera has reduced the effect of the weathering - still I think the model looks good, certainly better than it did straight out of the box....

P1080572.jpg.6904ab765c159236e5ff46c54fedfa3a.jpg

All that white paint just had to go!

Chaz

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/03/2019 at 09:12, chaz said:

#29 joins #27 on the FVRR roster ( #28 awaits some parts missing from the pilot beam).

P1080879.jpg.ba024aab8818198a5250beb1954542ba.jpg

2 coats of Vallejo matte varnish (magic stuff) airbrushed on to provide a key for the weathering powders.

P1080880.jpg.9bf5264408bc7cc022fc6b82cdcfc768.jpg

As so often seems to happen the camera has reduced the effect of the weathering - still I think the model looks good, certainly better than it did straight out of the box....

P1080572.jpg.6904ab765c159236e5ff46c54fedfa3a.jpg

All that white paint just had to go!

Chaz

Thanks for posting the shots.

I asked you sometime back if you would and you have.

Love the weathering jobs, very discrete!!! No29 now looks like a used working locomotive, marvellous job.

• Thanks 1