HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Also good to see Pfiffi and Fiffi getting some mileage, despite the availability of the 2-10-2s. I take it the latter all behave as intended now?

Pfiffi and Fiffi run so well it would be a crime not to and they are the perfect size for the local trains. Two of the three 2-10-2's run well now 247 after the mods and 222 has run perfectly out of the box. 7238 is still a dog to be honest and is going to get attention now the main build is done.

• RMweb Gold

Pfiffi and Fiffi run so well it would be a crime not to and they are the perfect size for the local trains. Two of the three 2-10-2's run well now 247 after the mods and 222 has run perfectly out of the box. 7238 is still a dog to be honest and is going to get attention now the main build is done.

I found 222 and 247 running well on my couple of yards of track, but 0243, the oil-burner, seemed a bit noisy. Pfiffi has been a bit fragile, and I’ve had to rebuild the valvegear a couple of times. Fiffi, bought in the goods set as ‘new other’ on ebay, may get a run when I get home this week. I hope to really make a start on the layout now the weather is a bit warmer there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Running them in on a loop really helps with the noise, rollers don't work so well with the 2-10-2's due to the articulation setup. The plastic valve gear is fragile I agree but I've only ever had one bit come unclipped.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully :) Andrew is also a Harz fan and when I accosted him about 009 at Swanley he said so when can we get some pics of yours. I said I need to finish the full concept first ;)

• Like 1

I found 222 and 247 running well on my couple of yards of track, but 0243, the oil-burner, seemed a bit noisy. Pfiffi has been a bit fragile, and I’ve had to rebuild the valvegear a couple of times. Fiffi, bought in the goods set as ‘new other’ on ebay, may get a run when I get home this week. I hope to really make a start on the layout now the weather is a bit warmer there.

Wiil you model the Selketalbahn?. I´m thinking seriously about modeling that railway in the DR time.

• RMweb Gold

Wiil you model the Selketalbahn?. I´m thinking seriously about modeling that railway in the DR time.

I definitely favour the DR period, I think, although I am not keen on weathering locos and stock. Buildings are another matter, though. Alexisbad is an attractive prospect, having a slightly more operable junction layout than Drei Annen Hohne, because you can have simultaneous departures to both routes. And Stiege is enormous fun, with the real world balloon loop. But I have yet to finally decide location, which is likely to be fictitious. Both Selketalbahn and Harzquerbahn have stretches outside the forest, and that appeals to an extent.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I definitely favour the DR period, I think, although I am not keen on weathering locos and stock. Buildings are another matter, though.

Ooh in the DR period you are going to need some stock weathered although when there were celebrations they did seem to clean up the stock quite a bit. Maybe just some weathered freight stock ;)

Alexisbad is an attractive prospect, having a slightly more operable junction layout than Drei Annen Hohne, because you can have simultaneous departures to both routes.

Yes and I was sorely tempted to add another board in at Brunnenbachsmühle to get a bit of run in for the parallel departures but it wouldn't fit in the cars! Something for the one day permanent set up.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel trains were shorter in the DR period, although I hope to be able to run 6-cars, which is nearly long enough for today. I also think the Selketalbahn still has shorter formations. The Brocken remains the big prize for the system - and that was off-limits in the DR era, I think.

• RMweb Gold

Yes Brocken was shut down although I understand they did run some heavy supplies up to build the base. In photos one or two coaches wasn't that unusual in DR days. I standardised on three coaches plus a van as suitable for 6101/2 and 6 coaches for the HSB mainline service as it makes the stations look bigger than using the full length. I can run standard 8 coach sets if the mood takes me.

• Like 1

Thanks, lots of bits to fettle and detailing to do. Also the operation worked well but one or two things need clarifying to prevent jamming up loops at Braunlage. Oh and the light rig needs to cover the new bit :)

Video looks alright. Was the signalling non-operational?

• RMweb Gold

At the moment, I'm still looking at decoders that will do what I want to do and decide if I use dcc for them too. Ideallly I want them to clear when the operator presses the button before departure then revert to danger automatically. I could use the Heathcote units with push buttons on the layout too. It's all on the list of jobs to do this year ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

At the moment, I'm still looking at decoders that will do what I want to do and decide if I use dcc for them too. Ideallly I want them to clear when the operator presses the button before departure then revert to danger automatically. ...

Q-decoder? Or would that be too complicated?

• RMweb Gold

Video looks alright. Was the signalling non-operational?

Give ’im a chance, Ivan! Paul has built this into an impressively long and decently scenicked layout in no time at all. The fact that signals and lineside signs are in place at all puts him ahead of many of us who take years over such details, if ever. And Paul does know a bit about signals.......

• RMweb Gold

On our first trip to the Harz system in 1989 the trains terminated at Schierke on the Brocken line.

Some trains we used on that trip were only two or three coaches and on one train there were the two of us plus a West German railfan.

• Like 1