HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Q-decoder? Or would that be too complicated?

If I knew what a Q decoder was ;) Do you have a link to what it is and what it can do?

I've just about figured out their basic signalling, I think. I'll dig out my basic guide later and post it here in case someone can improve on it.

• RMweb Gold

Give ’im a chance, Ivan! Paul has built this into an impressively long and decently scenicked layout in no time at all. The fact that signals and lineside signs are in place at all puts him ahead of many of us who take years over such details, if ever..

Ta Ian :)

And Paul does know a bit about signals.......

Shhhh! Don't tell 'em that they might actually believe my waffle :)

Which reminds me I need to go and do some of that button pushing later ;)

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't appear to do a timed switch still. As my operators only get to practice at shows I need it to be really simple. I want it to be switched to green by either tapping the screen icon or a push button then revert to danger ten seconds later. The only other way is that any conflicting route switches it back to red but it will still often leave a green departure signal with a train heading back into the station if the route hasn't changed.

• RMweb Premium

There is an educational ready mono flop board using a 555 available from rapid electronics - I have 2 at home and will see if I can find a link for that. Advantage is you get all parts, a nice PCB board and you have fun in soldering all together - for as little as 3£ per board... Will come back to that later - now I have another 7 minutes to work :-)

• RMweb Gold

Well some nice pics surprisingly fast from Andrew :)

Loco diagrams fettled after testing to destruction by my select crew ;) I know you're lurking a Iain!
Ok so here are my notes so far on Harz signalling, be gentle ;)

post-6968-0-48720900-1523312565.jpg

post-6968-0-71313300-1523385556.jpg

post-6968-0-70479400-1523312586.jpg

post-6968-0-76271900-1523312598.jpg

Updated to include revision to L crossing board.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well even if my car would be the only one in MK I wouldn't make it.... :-)

Here we go

https://www.rapidonline.com/rk-education-555-monostable-project-economy-70-6012

A bag of these turned up today so I'm going to try and get at least one up and running for Globalrail as an experiment.

Additionally 7238 is currently on the third hour of running in circles, in different directions and turned each way, to try and get rid of the jerkiness. It's improved but still a bit lumpy at low speed so on it goes . . .

post-6968-0-77849300-1523554925_thumb.jpg

On a positive note I shared some pics from NGSouth with Tillig as they'd been helpful with several things despite 7238 ;) and they asked for more so they might use some in future ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Got fed up and went back inside and found a tight spot

post-6968-0-59896400-1523559820_thumb.jpg

Then I went further! Everything rotates fine individually :(

Took everything out and cleaned it.

post-6968-0-26398300-1523559806_thumb.jpg

Put it back together and there is a very slight tight spot but a fraction of what it was and now I'd accept the slow running. So running in again to see if that helps further.

The valve gear is extremely delicate so take a lot of care if you do this.

Anyhoo I will count that as a success, let's hope it lasts ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So a mini review of the weekend.

1. It worked! It all went up easily and fits within the planned footprint. Splitting the points off onto a separate bus meant we didn't push the limits of the Z21. No major failures apart from shorts occasionally.

2. The loco diagrams worked quite well with action balancing fairly well so trains were moving at various places most of the time within view. I have clarified the diagrams so the unused passenger train isn't left in the station but shunted to the yard and the loco picks up the alternative train. I guess it's really the operators too used to picking up another train from a fiddleyard rather than working a diagram with a loco.

3. The Token sections seemed to work very well in preventing single line issues and everyone used them all day. :)

4. Two of the 2-10-2's, the 0-6-0's and Kamel ran well all day. A couple of coaches got coupling droop but I have enough to swap them out and sort later.

5. The operators seemed to find the pace more relaxed and four of us just about coped ok with minimal breaks for one day. It definitely needs 6-8 for a long two day show though as we were just a bit knackered by the end.

6. It all fitted back in the car and small van.

7. It all got home in one piece :)

So stock needs weathering, Signals need powering up, Brunnenbachsmühle needs a bit more weathering too and the light rig needs to stretch another 24ft as it covers just under half the layout at present. On the operational side I want to introduce the wagon cards for the goods stock so they move between specific locations, I thought it would slow things down too much with the skeleton crew last weekend.

It has done what I intended and nice surprises were that it generated three way meets at Brunnenbachsmühle without actually trying to set them up.

Onwards :)

39495803230_cd62a7eba2_h.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

• Like 6

There is certainly a turntable at Wernigerode shed and track plans I have (dated 1946) also show them at Nordhausen shed and Westerntor works.  Although I've been round the works several times I don't recollect seeing one so maybe it's no longer there.  The Nordhausen based loco works chimney first uphill to DAH where it swaps trains with a Wernigerode based loco so it doesn't have to go up the Brocken bunker first. 

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Yes there's the turntable to turn locos back from overhaul or that have gone up the Selketal via the loop but haven't returned via the loop at Stiege ;)

The main thing is they have to face uphill for the Brocken so that dictates the 2-10-2's way round on the Süd Harz due to the junction at Sorge. It's a trailing junction at Sorge so the HSB train reverses and arrives at Brunnenbachsmühle bunker first :) 99 222 is allocated on a rolling diagram so remains the normal way round for the Brockenloks.

The 0-6-0's, in my world, are allocated to the SHE so they turned them for variety ;)

Edited by PaulRhB