HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

While searching for something else, I found these.  First a photo of my garden railway at my previous house, them some of the Harz in 2010.

attachicon.gifIMG_1555.jpg

attachicon.gif055.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1165.jpg

attachicon.gif065.jpg

If any of you would like to see photos of the Harz & Broken in the snow then here's my Flickr link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114678104@N04/albums/72157650883574751

Dave

• Like 4

...I'm expecting shops to have it around £290 which is comparable to the Bemo 2-8-0 ten years ago ....

If that's the RhB G4/5 you're referring to, I was stunned when I saw the original price tag on the box of one: £320!! And the thing is tiny!

Still, shouldn't be surprised when a Weinert SBB shunting tractor retails for upwards of £350, and that comfortably fits into the palm of your hand with room to spare.

Don't judge them on size. Look at any of the Bemo metal collection, most of the HOe Saxon locos are around the 650-750 euro mark and they are only Wee HOe locos! The unbuilt kits will cost around £250-300. Quality is never cheap.

I remember looking at my demonstration workbench at Glasgow once and realised I had about £7000 worth of stock on display! Scary stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If that's the RhB G4/5 you're referring to, I was stunned when I saw the original price tag on the box of one: £320!! And the thing is tiny!

Still, shouldn't be surprised when a Weinert SBB shunting tractor retails for upwards of £350, and that comfortably fits into the palm of your hand with room to spare.

Yes the G4/5 was the cheapest steam loco even at that price and they were going around £280 for a while ;)

I'm sure Tillig will put a dent in the sales of the others even at these prices as they are significantly cheaper than other options to model the Harz.

They do run very well and the detail is superb. I've paid an average of about £25 a coach by waiting for offers which is much cheaper than Bemo. The two special edition coaches are the most expensive as adding the metal wheels and bearings pushes them towards £40 each. Cheaper than Hornby ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it depends if those with money to burn prefer all metal, including bells & whistles, locos but as they were so expensive I rather think this will appeal to a different market. Additionally as they have been out so long I suspect they long ago made back the investment so if there is a dent it will be more of a ripple ;)

• RMweb Gold

No sound ones announced so far but it's a very easy installation on the 0.6.0 so it should be just as easy, if not easier, with a bigger loco. I actually prefer the fit it yourself version on the 0.6.0 as the factory one used the cab glazing as the speaker box so you can't have a driver hanging out the window.

I was wondering about that. I'd like to put sounds into a few more of my locos. Do Tillig do the sound chip loaded with the Harz 060 sounds as a stand alone part? It's a pretty good generic chuff and the whistle and bell fit very well with the narrow gauge locos.

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering about that. I'd like to put sounds into a few more of my locos. Do Tillig do the sound chip loaded with the Harz 060 sounds as a stand alone part? It's a pretty good generic chuff and the whistle and bell fit very well with the narrow gauge locos.

The 0.6.0 is file 94808, I've also used the BR91 & BR98 for other NG locos and there's also a generic 99 file 54801 (micro chip) showing a pic of 6001. Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Go to the download tab on the ESU home page and select sounds and you can filter each category by country and loco type and yes you'll need a lokprogrammer or just specify the file when ordering the decoder ;)

If you go to the files you can listen to a sample

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Just make sure you know if it's a v3.5 or v4 chip and select the right file for micro, standard or XL as it matters ;) you'll see several codes for some files and if you hover over them it'll say which they are. You can download the lokprogrammer software and the files and then just borrow his unit to upload the file.

Oo, that's handy to know. I didn't realise you could get the chips pre-loaded with library sound files.

If they do do the 2-10-2s with sound, I hope they include the customary clonk when it's put into gear. It's loud and distinctive.

I have myself been struggling  to obtain sound files for Narrow Gauge locomotives for use with ESU decoders. I have however used http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk for specific narrow gauge locos that sounds were not available for commercially. They can also customise sound files to suit your needs eg. Put different whistles, airpumps on etc.

If you contact them I'm sure they will be able to supply sounds to your needs.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time for the next section of the Sud Harz, this will be the forest section and Brunnenbachs Muhle Junction.

Here's a refresher of the overall plan

post-6968-0-79600400-1474451865_thumb.jpg

and the rough of the forest section with a basic scene for the operators only to represent the Wurmberg Station and goods siding.

post-6968-0-76545100-1472262372_thumb.jpg

Brunnenbachs Muhle

post-6968-0-02544300-1472262374_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5