Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

Please tell me those ran on metals close to the GWR? I may be able to justify it...

Hi,

My Drummond 700 in late BR livery arrived today. There are 2 flaws:

1) 2 casting lines are visible behind the chimney running from side to side and a single line runs back to front on each side just below the smokebox door. You have to look closely to see them. The lines are pretty straight and could be mistaken for being present on the original model.

2) more annoyingly the number on the smokebox door is just very likely lopsided.

Performance out of the box if smooth going backwards, but there is some jerkiness on moving forward.

The model looks very good overall. I may decide to keep mine even with the defects.

Paul Bolger's allocation book shows 30306, 30316, 30350 and 30700 shedded at Eastleigh in 1950 and 303600 and 30316 shedded Eastleigh in 1959. Seems a safe bet they went north as well as south. I'm really keen to know if they went north via Winchester Chesil up the Didcot Newbury Southampton.

Decided to unbox both the Southern liveried LSWR 700s yesterday as I ain't properly looked at them since purchase this time last week... an excellent purchase!! Two different liveries, E695 in SR Black with Green lining and 325 in SR Black livery. A splendid duo...!! :)

post-605-0-42722000-1435948398_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-61939000-1435948409_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-96053700-1435948431_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-88190400-1435948440_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Looking nice, Ian.

Whose the chap in the beret, blazer and medals on the footplate?

Rob

post-14122-0-99870000-1435949087.jpg

• Like 4

Picked my Southern Livery example up from Peter's Spares today. Runs fine straight from the box in both directions. Haulage power was not quite what I expected but there is plenty of room in the smokebox and over the worm for some lead which really improves traction. It will get the usual crew, coal, headcode disks etc for use on a Portsmouth - Bristol cattle imported cattle train with loco change at Westbury.

Really pleased. Must build that DJH 0395 to go with it one day

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Picked my Southern Livery example up from Peter's Spares today. Runs fine straight from the box in both directions. Haulage power was not quite what I expected but there is plenty of room in the smokebox and over the worm for some lead which really improves traction. It will get the usual crew, coal, headcode disks etc for use on a Portsmouth - Bristol cattle imported cattle train with loco change at Westbury.

Really pleased. Must build that DJH 0395 to go with it one day

Mike Wiltshire

Didn't know they ran to Westbury.Interesting....

My own jottings of a review of the Black Motor can be read here http://grahammuz.com/2015/07/05/hornbys-black-motor-ex-lswr-sr-700-class-a-review/

Graham

Ah salt in the wound.......Your pictures of 695 here and on your blog site along with other pictures on this thread of the SR version.

Hattons made a rare mistake and sent me an R3239 instead of an R3238.  It will take several weeks to straighten this out from California. I am awaiting instructions for the return of the R3239. It's a pity but the R3239 must remain unopened. 

Actually if the R3302 were separately available (I have too many low window Maunsell coaches already and the set is pricey), I would have preferred that. Shame to have to paint over the lining but my SR period is similar to yours, January 1945-December 31, 1947. 

Oh well. This was scheduled to be a very occasional visitor to Padstow.  The Class C stand in will then be retired to the collection shelves. 

Edited by autocoach

I spent some time today comparing my 2 Hornby Southern Drummond 700s with my kit built version (Bec?) and also my kit built 0395 Class (DJH). I was aware the Bec model was perched on the chassis but only with it buffer to buffer with 695 did I realise how much!

I must say I am delighted with the Hornby models, which run very well DC and I have drop in TCS de coders on order. Crew and irons will make a difference but cannot claim to be too exercised about handrail knobs. Each to their own.

If I have the technology mastered there may even be a thumbnail below this post. In which case I may add others later.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/gallery/album_3677/med_gallery_4181_3677_59308.jpg

post-4181-0-23952000-1436122394_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Barry

The BEC kit was for some reason stretched in the vertical plane as I mentioned here http://grahammuz.com/2014/06/30/talking-stock-29-black-motors-drummonds-700-class/even with my old kits where I tried to address the buffer beam and running plate height the high boiler and too tall cab was still visibly wrong.

Hi Barry

The BEC kit was for some reason stretched in the vertical plane as I mentioned here http://grahammuz.com/2014/06/30/talking-stock-29-black-motors-drummonds-700-class/even with my old kits where I tried to address the buffer beam and running plate height the high boiler and too tall cab was still visibly wrong.

Thanks Graham. As a result of a conversation, with you I believe, I was hunting for a new chassis for the Bec to make it a little more acceptable. But frankly I will now just get rid of it.

Are you meant to be able to alter the tender coupling to the shorter distance? On first sight you can only detach it by unscrewing it from the loco, or can you detach the plastic pin on the tender to use the closer part of the 8-shaped hole? (probably makes more sense if you are looking at one).

• RMweb Gold

Rod

The pin on the tender is removable, it is an interference fit; as I mentioned in my review linked to in my post above that also includes a photo showing the comparison between the two settings

My BR late livery one arrived from Rails a short time ago. It is presently on the rolling road on DC. Even on the lowest setting of my old controller, it is racing away, albeit very smoothly. Initially it exhibited a slight side to side swaying but that seems to have mostly cured itself after an hour of running.

I managed to knock off one of the tender tool boxes before I had even got it onto the rolling road, while adjusting the tender drawbar to the closer setting, but all fixed now!! :rolleyes:

Next, I will have to do battle with the decoder fitting!

Edit: adding to the above:

I ran it for an hour in each direction on DC power on my rolling road, then fitted a TCS DP2X-UK direct plug-in decoder. 

It ran very sweetly indeed with the TCS decoder, with only the inertia/momentum settings tweaked, as is my norm. I used CV3 = 25 and CV4 = 17.

It ran in service for the first time hauling a parcels rake of mixed four-wheel and bogie vehicles. There were no clearance problems with my third and fourth rail installations.

Hornby%20700%20and%20Bachmann%20E4%20-%2

Hornby%20700%20and%20Bachmann%20E4%20-%2

All in all a very pleasing purchase. icon_surprised.gif

I spotted the crooked tool box in the tender in the photos. I have now straightened it up again. Sometimes these photos can be useful for showing such things where they would not otherwise have been noticed for goodness knows how long!

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you meant to be able to alter the tender coupling to the shorter distance? On first sight you can only detach it by unscrewing it from the loco, or can you detach the plastic pin on the tender to use the closer part of the 8-shaped hole? (probably makes more sense if you are looking at one).

The pin is metal not plastic and a very tight fit so you'll need a pair of pliers to remove it. 

Southern Railway 695 is a sheer delight. A "looker" with smooth,effortless haulage capacity.Another impressive model.I await the D16 with relish.

The earliest I can get mine to a working test track will be next Tuesday (14th). Damn, it's frustrating.

PB

• RMweb Gold

Southern Railway 695 is a sheer delight. A "looker" with smooth,effortless haulage capacity.Another impressive model.I await the D16 with relish.

Pity it's not going to be a D15. Sorry, mustn't be greedy............

John

Edited by Dunsignalling