Hornby Drummond 700

Robin Brasher

I had fancied the Dunkirk set, but felt the three Maunsells were in effect a bit pricey at £50 each, compared to the cost of a 700 in other liveries. So finding a Southern version in Paignton Model Shop for £99 clinched it.

Available for £199 at Scograil in Ipswich (no connection except I bought one).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Available for £199 at Scograil in Ipswich (no connection except I bought one).

Rather amused by this one which turned up on ebay UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Return-from-Dunkirk-Train-Pack-1940-Limited-Edition-OO-Gauge-/221812282110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item33a50ad2fe

£300 inc carriage (sent from OZ) plus UK import charges!

Why?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I have now fitted a Lenz Standard + to my 700 and it runs so smoothly.

Another top-notch release from Hornby.

Top off ready to fit chip:

I used the double sided pad to stick it to the contact rails

post-6208-0-01894000-1436977312_thumb.jpg

Tender top ready to go back on (the eagle-eyed amongst you will spot a very minor mod!):

post-6208-0-12668100-1436977425_thumb.jpg

Top back on ready to go:

post-6208-0-71160900-1436977510_thumb.jpg

Keith

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In case anybody's puzzled by the logistics of the fitting:

The ballast weight is three seperate pieces of about 1.6mm thickness each and totalling 32g.

There is already about 3mm clearance between these weights and the contact rails, but not enough for a decoder.

If you remove two of weights you gain another 3.2mm, which gives more than enough space, however you lose about 22g.

The solution is to add 22g lead in the space between the remaining weight and the tender top.

Result: decoder neatly fitted and no weight lost.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, finally picked mine up today. I have to say, I am not disappointed. What a lovely model.

Rob.

Unfortunately I received a very snippy reply (never before happened with Hattons in dealing with them for 30 years) to the effect that I had ordered the R3238 and if I was unhappy with my choice of the R3238 I could return it at my cost and they would send me the R3239 at my cost postage both ways.  This totally misinterpreted my email complaining that they had shipped the R3239 instead of the R3238. I even enclosed pictures of the R3829 I received in the Hattons Hattons shipping box in my reply to show they had sent the wrong item. It has been 10 days and I have received no return email. At this point I will just lump it and schedule the R3239 for retrofit to pre BR condition at some point. As I mentioned I was going to have to re-livery anyway to 1942-47 condition with a Sunshine SOUTHERN on the tender and SR engine number on the cab. I won't have to remove the SR  version lining either.

I too thought about the Return from Dunkirk set but the three extra coaches were not required for my North Cornwall setting and it was a bit expensive.  I have many of the low window Maunsell coaches already in olive that I am going to 're-varnish' to unlined condition for post war service when and if I get around to it. I have only done one coach so far.

Hattons finally re-assured me they had a R3238 set aside awaiting my return of the R3239. So it will go in the post on Monday. Will take 4-6 weeks for replacement. I didn't relish scraping the BR number plate off and drilling holes for the snifter valves.  The snifter valves will eventually go on my class N's  Now just wait a few months and Hornby will probably release the R3302 325 SR unlined black boiler with Bulleid sunshine Southern tender which is what I really want.

Edited by autocoach

• Administrators

Hi all,

Here are a few unused pictures from the Hornby Drummond 700 review that's currently in BRM's August issue, on-sale now. 

www.brmm.ag/BRMdigi

Steve

post-14186-0-28622800-1437640028_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-55612200-1437640044_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-51649600-1437640063_thumb.jpg

post-14186-0-82014200-1437640081_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Why is the pipes on this loco brass, never seen any photo with them fitted with brass pipe work?.

(1) you mean copper - which is what said pipes were made of.

(2) In many cases said pipework was not specifically painted in the same colour as the bodywork - it was simply the case that there wasn't the manpower available to keep them clean. A look at the contemporary heritage railways scene shows 8Fs, the WD, 9Fs, S15s, plus many others all with lovely polished pipework for example precisely because the manpower is available to keep such bits clean.

• RMweb Premium

Why is the pipes on this loco brass, never seen any photo with them fitted with brass pipe work?.

In Russell's Southern Locos there is a picture of 316 at Feltham, still in LSWR livery in 1924 (so not ex works) and the pipework is shiny.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

(1) you mean copper - which is what said pipes were made of.

(2) In many cases said pipework was not specifically painted in the same colour as the bodywork - it was simply the case that there wasn't the manpower available to keep them clean. A look at the contemporary heritage railways scene shows 8Fs, the WD, 9Fs, S15s, plus many others all with lovely polished pipework for example precisely because the manpower is available to keep such bits clean.

I think Darren meant they SHOULD be copper, rather than the brass finish on the model.

You're right though, they should really all be mucky black.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

In Russell's Southern Locos there is a picture of 316 at Feltham, still in LSWR livery in 1924 (so not ex works) and the pipework is shiny.

Keith

It could have been almost ex-works. LSWR locos receiving general repairs during 1923 seem to have retained (or even been repainted in) their existing livery until their next works visit but those so treated from early 1924 onwards did emerge in Southern livery.

This implies either that SR livery policy was not fully settled until the latter part of 1923 or simply that supplies of the new materials were not in place earlier.

In the photo cited, the pipe to the clack valve is reflecting light quite strongly, suggesting polished copper, though it could just result from the angle at which the light is striking the horizontal portion. The rest, along with the vertical pipe itself, doesn't look any different to the body colour, so both could well be painted (the only certainty is that neither are dirty). The handrail appears to be polished steel (and probably is) but, again, this could be caused by the angle of the light.

In the adjacent photo of No.700 (dated 1923) the vertical pipe appears to be polished metal but the handrail looks as if it might be painted. The photo of No.699 in SR livery but still with saturated boiler (dated 1927) is inconclusive on all counts!

All of which illustrates how difficult it is to interpret old black-and-white photos but also that it is dangerous to assume that, [a] locos emerged from works attention with a standardised finish, and  even if they did, that running sheds kept them that way. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It does  not matter whether the pipes are shiny or painted, what does matter is it is the wrong material which makes it the wrong colour. The pipes should be copper. Hornby have used brass which unless painted looks very wrong. Yes the fittings such as the clacks and other fittings are brass, and look fine. There are two on the top of the boiler that should probably be steel as the are extended tap shafts.

• RMweb Premium

So on the comments immediately above "The pipes should be copper ... brass unless painted looks very wrong" and "carefully applied paint will address these issues quite readily". What paint colour or colours do folk recommend for this purpose?

Also I'm not clear if the pipes on Southern locomotives were usually copper, or whether they were sometimes (often?) body colour, as also suggested above. Some hints from those knowledgeable on Southerm practice would be helpful.

John

Hi 

Every colour photo i have looked at of 700 , all the pipe work is black, the other thing i have noticed about the Hornby 700 are the numbers.

I have been numbering one up and have a large collection of photo to work from, in all the photo the numbers are quite large, on the Hornby model they seem a bit to thin?.

Also Hornby have missed putting on the builders plate on the middle splashier from there model?.

post-6929-0-90194200-1439723237_thumb.jpg

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Every colour photo i have looked at of 700 , all the pipe work is black, the other thing i have noticed about the Hornby 700 are the numbers.

I have been numbering one up and have a large collection of photo to work from, in all the photo the numbers are quite large, on the Hornby model they seem a bit to thin?.

Also Hornby have missed putting on the builders plate on the middle splashier from there model?.

Number size does vary, depends on which shed they were painted at etc. I think Hornby have just gone for a slightly generic size.

No Hornby haven't missed the builders plate, as it is very dependant on whether the plates had been removed or not, as per the real thing. One of the two I own has plates (EC one) the other does not.

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren

Many of the builders plates were removed around the mid 1950s Hornby have included the plate on all their versions except correctly the late crest version.

• RMweb Premium

The Colour Rail picture that accompanied Chris Leigh's review in Model Rail 212 shows 30699 ex works at Eastleigh in 1954, with the boiler pipework unpainted.