Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

44767 (and other locos) motion

You might want a look at this archived topic: 

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18522&sid=308736c43a11ba51deffa1ea08470662

I (very) vaguely recall a conversion kit done by someone (Crownline??) at least 20 or 30 years back??

That was me. It's still a work in progress, but put back due to other distractions. Phil Baxendale finished his version of 4767, also using Bill Bedford valve gear, which is now sold by Eileen's Emporium. I've seen it perform. It works perfectly.

Crownline never produced a Stephenson conversion kit, but they did kits for the Caprotti engines.

• Like 2

I have seen yours horsetan I must say it looks good really impressed

Unfinished, though.

If you do a search for "Philbax", you'll find he built his 4767 using most of a Brassmasters "LFB Black 5" plus the Bedford valve gear etch. Highly expensive way to do it, but very seductive.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be using a Hornby black 5 what has Gibbson wheels on I was thinking of using the comet fame kit but funds are a bit tight at present so one of my Hornby ones will do I will wait until the motion kit comes to start my little project then the fun will begin

Pics will be on when I start it so apologies for the wait

Mark

Mark

If this is Bill's kit you're referring to then it will not have instructions. You need a photo of the prototype and off you go using the etch you bought.....

Mike: it can only be Bill's etch. He was the only one who actually got as far as putting it into production. There are no instructions because Bill works on the IOI Principle.*

Strictly speaking, you should buy two, just in case you make a mistake.

*IOI = It's Obvious Innit.

Thanks both of you I have got a few picks of the motion I will be starting it on wed night when I am at work ( the joys of a signaller ) lol. I Will have to be taking my time with this build I don't fancy getting another kit but I will try and get it right

The kit is bills he is the only one to do it

HI

best of luck

I used two sets of bills valve gear because I wanted forked joints.If you have a selection of spares for valve gear then this may not be reguired.

The biggest issue I found was  trying to keep the valve gear within gauge, it turns out rather wide but then I was workin in P4.

As for the Long wheelbase option, i beleive that Comet? do a long wheelbase version of the CL 5 chassis but as the extra length of  4 inches equates to 1mm in 4mm sscale I chose to ignore it.

There my cover is blown!!!!!!

With the bits left over (Brassnmasters valve gear) I am now looking at another CL 5 based on a perserference chassis and an old Hornby body. So far removed the cab completely intending to use a comet cab, ready for plastc filling and detailed bits, this will have a self weighing tender. First build so far based on a Comet tender (note has the rivits in the wrong place but I can live with that) based on information on the rmweb. Unfortunately I now see after more research that I have the bunker too long as there needs to be the weighting mechanism behind it.

Will post pictures soon when I get back in the Uk

... Comet? do a long wheelbase version of the CL 5 chassis but as the extra length of  4 inches equates to 1mm in 4mm scale I chose to ignore it.

There my cover is blown!!!!!!

Yes, I thought it looked a bit short behind.

I went for the Comet LWB 5 chassis as soon as it came out. The smokebox should really be stretched by a scale 4" to correspond.