American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Came across a SOO logo I’ve not seen before: large white angular SOO on a black italic background with a thin black border.  Loco was a (model) SD40.  Loco was white with a red front low hood.  Just wondered what era it was from?  Keith.

Ah yes, the 'Parallelogram' slanted logo. I've used it on my Soo pick-up truck.

20200703_192705.jpg.c39644b16382f19a4fa7fbd669d872f7.jpg

Not entirely prototypical, it should be in white on the red door but I didn't have a white decal.

The logo was designed in the late '60s & applied to some locos & rolling stock in the early '70s. It was basically a big decal from 3M, the Scotchlite company, but it didn't last - literally!! It wasn't very resilient to either nature or the Soo's wash rack chemicals, so was abandoned by 1981/2-ish.

The design was revived in white with the new all-over Candy Apple red scheme for locos in 1989.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I posted pics of the 3D printed sacks & pallets I got off ebay. I have much bigger jobs I should be doing - engines in bits, half-finished freight cars, scenery, etc, but sometimes it's nice to just do a 'small' job.

I decided these sacks would likely be for something like drywall compound for a local Builders Merchants. I painted them an off-white, and drew up some very basic 'labels' to glue on the tops, as the printing was very 'stepped'; filler and/or filing smooth would take forever, but a paper label glued on top has hidden the effect, as has the shrink wrap.

The pallets were lightly washed too, & the sack 'stacks' glued on. I then cut long strips of kitchen cling film about the height of the stack, glued one end to one side of the stack, and wrapped the pallet just as they shrink-wrap (which is what it is called in transport/industry, not 'cling film'!!) -  the real thing. 

I also glued some of them in the doorways of one of my Hi-cube boxes. If I've done my sums right a double-stacked load of these pallets would not overload the car in real life.

20230903_221907.jpg.2e0cce120f9a4320fbccb95182afbea7.jpg

Setting up an 'unloading' cameo was a bit of fun...

20230903_221848.jpg.a90dab223d4159935faf10c7d77ad98a.jpg

In other news, at Stafford Guildex on Saturday I collected my pre-ordered Wickhams Trolley from Ellis Clark Trains. It was very much an impulse purchase a few weeks ago, made all the more surprising by the complete & total abscence of alcoholic influence when I clicked the order button!!

Being UK 1:43.5 scale it is slightly big for a U.S. 'Speeder', so the jury is out on how it looks with my U.S. stock at the moment....

20230903_221742.jpg.947df4e55df493fb341b235cf141c67e.jpg

As I bought a bog-standard 12v DC Trolley, & my U.S. layout is DCC, whether or not it looks ok is a moot point, as it can't actually run on that layout anyway..!! 🙄🙄🤦‍♂️🤣

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

20230903_221742.jpg.947df4e55df493fb341b235cf141c67e.jpg

As I bought a bog-standard 12v DC Trolley, & my U.S. layout is DCC, whether or not it looks ok is a moot point, as it can't actually run on that layout anyway..!! 🙄🙄🤦‍♂️🤣

Sounds like an excellent excuse to build a UK layout! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Sounds like an excellent excuse to build a UK layout! 

I've got two of those. 😉👍

Here's the trolley on one of them, next to my other Stafford acquisitions....

20230903_221538.jpg.54293ad8f5c3a78426924e0b8610d78f.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, jasond said:

Would anyone notice a DCC chip up in the trolley's roof-space?  Or in a crate on the trailer?  Aaah, projects, projects, ...

Jason

Considering it's available with DCC + sound factory fitted, they've obviously thought about where to hide the chip already. 😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Considering it's available with DCC + sound factory fitted, they've obviously thought about where to hide the chip already. 😉

So ring ECT and discuss how to move from a "Who" state to an all singing model.  You never know, Ellis might just sell the bits which are to be seen on the display stand....  or offer a decent exchange deal.  At least the ECT sound project does not feature seagulls like most sound fitted 37/4s.

I've always admired your US themed layout.  I must be careful because this looks so good I could be tempted.

It is curious that of all the model shows I've attended over here in the Montreal area and somewhat beyond, I have never seen anything other than that horrid 3 rail stuff.  It takes a UK modeller to show how it's done I guess.

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brossard said:

I've always admired your US themed layout.  I must be careful because this looks so good I could be tempted.

It is curious that of all the model shows I've attended over here in the Montreal area and somewhat beyond, I have never seen anything other than that horrid 3 rail stuff.  It takes a UK modeller to show how it's done I guess.

John

Thanks for your kind comments John. It does seem that 2-rail O Scale is something of a rare beast in the USA, although it does exist! My layout is nowhere near as realistic as others I've seen, but it's far from complete, of course.

• Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, Western Star said:

So ring ECT and discuss how to move from a "Who" state to an all singing model.  You never know, Ellis might just sell the bits which are to be seen on the display stand....  or offer a decent exchange deal.  At least the ECT sound project does not feature seagulls like most sound fitted 37/4s.

There's something in the paperwork from ECT, which naturally I've only skimmed through very briefly, cautioning about using the DCC version with a DC controller. Something about the motor being coreless, too, so cautioning against older DC controllers too for the basic 12v DC version.

The recommended DCC decoder must be pretty tiny! I've no idea where it should go, but as my British stuff is staying 12v DC, I'm in no rush to find out.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Thanks for your kind comments John. It does seem that 2-rail O Scale is something of a rare beast in the USA, although it does exist! My layout is nowhere near as realistic as others I've seen, but it's far from complete, of course.

I had a quick look round and found that there are manufacturers who do 2 rail, Atlas and MTH for example.  I've no idea of the accuracy or fidelity of these models.  Prices seem comparable to British 0 gauge.

I decided early on that my 0 gauge layout would be to a "nice" standard.  There are better ones for sure.  Mine is the only British 0 gauge layout in Quebec as far as I know.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the dim & distant past, around Jan 1st, possibly this year, I resolved to try and finish projects before I start another one.....

Yeah, right. This week yet another madcap project gets under way, inspired by the bad influences of RMweb & the American O Scale in UK Farcebook group.

First off, a fourth complete Atlas Plymouth joined my fleet (as opposed to a bits collection like body shells & sideframes I already have)...

FB_IMG_1694017638169.jpg.a7c386fbb4d2783ab57e2a2b12e4f55b.jpg

However, this one is going to be a bit different; tonight's test shows the way things are going....

20230915_205816.jpg.b9f709e7e8b2ed891e2270f8ddfcf3ca.jpg

Missing a wheelset?? Yes, Sir!! It seems it will convert easily enough to an 0-4-0, and of course, will have to be, erm, "adjusted" to suit. 😉👍🥳

Have been scouring t'Interweb for inspiration, & there's some cracking examples out there, real & model. 

As I named two of my other Plymouths in honour of inspirational modellers, I don't think it's too early, or out of place to say that I shall be naming this one....

Please step forward & take a bow; "Northroader Bob"  🤩🤩🤩

That's as far as I've got for now. Off on holiday for a week tomorow. No I can't take it with me.... 😱🤣

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Aw, shucks, Jordan, I’m touched. And deeply honoured of course. Hope you’re going somewhere nice, that isn’t burnt down, covered in mud, or on strike. Look out for some RMT body shells, Jason’s right out. Have a good one!

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2023 at 08:18, Northroader said:

Aw, shucks, Jordan, I’m touched. And deeply honoured of course. Hope you’re going somewhere nice, that isn’t burnt down, covered in mud, or on strike. Look out for some RMT body shells, Jason’s right out. Have a good one!

Nowhere burnt, muddy or on strike, but wet - definitely!! 🙄😂

So still in the UK, Cornwall to be more precise. Still about as far from any RMT body shells as anyone else, sorry...!! 🤦‍♂️😁

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

With very quick shipping across The Pond, my new sets of Kadee 70t trucks arrived today, direct from Kadee & avoiding the attentions of HMCustoms to boot!! 🤫🤣

At nearly $40 a pair they're not cheap, but the roller bearing types DO have rotating bearing caps. 👍

20230925_202317.jpg.42974bec2c5970dee625ae2bfa24f36f.jpg

Tonight they have replaced the trucks on my two Atlas Trainman 50ft cars, which possibly because they have to suit 3-railers too, ride a couple of mm too high on Atlas trucks.

Here, the CSX car has had the Kadee trucks, which have lowered the car by just the right amount - the SOO car is higher (note the couplers), still on Atlas trucks.

20230925_205118.jpg.674661b407b2e5acd5d1126bc0698637.jpg

After doing both cars, they now ride at the right height. Happy bunny.

20230925_211645.jpg.f84e9eaa5cdd7e5a7d257625afecfedb.jpg

I have some 100t trucks on order too, but via Ebay as Kadee's website sold out before I got confirmation the caps rotate. They were a few bucks cheaper on Ebay but VAT was then added. Shipping is about the same cost, but could be slower. At least with ebay adding the VAT they should also avoid further charges on arrival in the UK.

Meanwhile, Kadee restocked on their website!! Oh well..... 🙄🤦‍♂️

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

On 15/09/2023 at 21:26, F-UnitMad said:

This week yet another madcap project gets under way...

20230915_205816.jpg.b9f709e7e8b2ed891e2270f8ddfcf3ca.jpg

Missing a wheelset?? Yes, Sir!! It seems it will convert easily enough to an 0-4-0, and of course, will have to be, erm, "adjusted" to suit. 😉👍🥳

I haven't yet started any actual hacking about yet on this shortening project, but am still at the Theory & Planning Stage.

To get a balanced look to the body over such a short 0-4-0 wheelbase, the body is going to be set back on the frame so the back of the cab is nearly level to the rear pilot beam, and the hood will be shortened to just the 3 side panel doors, removing the front 'boxes', and the frame shortened so the front pilot is just proud of the radiator grill, losing the front walkway. This will retain one of the two pick-up retaining clips, and 4 of the 6 screws that hold the keeper plate on underneath. 👍

As well as some cut'n'shut work on the hood & frames, some serious carving will need doing to the metal chassis lump as well, most likely involving 'proper size' tools like an angle grinder 😱🤪😎  I think (hope!!) this work will retain some balance in the weight distribution too.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Back in 1980/81 when the Airfix Model Trains mag was on the shelves, almost every other issue seemed to feature the razor saw of Editor Chris Ellis, plunging through the bodywork of some hapless model, either to correct inaccuracies or convert it to something else.

Tonight I have "done a Chris Ellis" and taken my razor saw to the bodyshell of what will become "Northroader Bob". 

"Shortliner Jack" behind for comparison. No turning back now!! .....

20231001_215317.jpg.4155ae754e0d314422d6ef88ebe9778e.jpg

Hood shortened by removal of the 'side box' section, with a bit of a back cut to keep the headlight molding intact. I've also started to remove the exhaust stack. The bodyshell is the easy bit, though. The chassis block is stripped down & marked up ready to be attacked sometime soon....

20231001_215341.jpg.9325d803072a8894c3ab2c70a6c74903.jpg

The whole front section is to go, with a cut-out for the headlight, and the front of the large in-cab block, so that the body can sit further back and looked more balanced over the wheels. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6

This afternoon the chassis block met Mr Angle Grinder & Mr Reciprocating Power Saw.... :)

20231004_150028.jpg.b4ccc2b3e06932ad3b89c1b7f4698bab.jpg

20231004_150054.jpg.ea0d9f4bd663c80c14ca9e931ec5d3dc.jpg

A notch has been cut in the front top for the hood headlight. Further work will be needed down below to make space for the front coupler box.

Next up will be to shorten the footplate & frames.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on Shorty Plymouth "Northroader Bob".

The footplate & sideframes are now cut, by keeping the front 'porch' I've been able to keep both original coupler pockets which will help no end later.

Here the main components have been treated to some filler. The molded treadplatedetail will be sanded off & I have my eye on some etched replacements.

Coming together now...

20231014_144010.jpg.efed8b7c773a1620146dccb2bbffa4af.jpg

20231014_144053.jpg.b060004ec7aa81d13f452617244e37fb.jpg

20231014_144109.jpg.9b1ab707d7e4afcfbbe211ff16a827ab.jpg

Meanwhile, I can't recall where I saw about Tunnocks caramel Wafers being an ideal load for a Centerbeam Flat. Being poor/a cheapskate, Lidl's Own Brand have had to do.

'Tis the Silly Season 🤣🤣🥳 and Shortside Yard's staff just stand in despair.... 

20231014_141039.jpg.72f8d968b43d901bd97ea3c7909d8a45.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

I was looking at some early tracklaying just now:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=297524898087001

It worked, didn't it??!! 🤣🤣 Even got the rails sagging under the train weight, which I haven't been able to do, and as for climbing over the fallen tree...!!! 🤯🤯🤯🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Was that a Buster Keaton film?