RMweb

Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Gold

That looks VERY much like the one I built for Gavvy2 of this parish about a year ago .....

post-6717-0-88278800-1390684011_thumb.jpg

spec is right, number is right, Roomey's weathering is right too ;)

Having had a closer look at the Hatton's pics, I'm 100% certain it's my work, hope Gavvy2 is ok

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So who's going to be the first to figure out how to put a smoke generator in these?

When I built the last pair the subject of smoke did arise and I discussed various options, but the consensus was that you'd need to have the smoke generator in the firebox or maybe the preheater area and route the smoke via a tube to the side chimney. The likely cost of this and the difficulty in filling the generator killed off the idea.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

No!!!! Look at the size of that coupling........ Let's hope something more appropriate will appear on the loco when released....

Keith

Indeed, the rest of the model looks remarkably good for a Railroad model and how many ever thought to see a RTR Crosti 9F, it'd be terribly sad if they ruin it with a 1960's style Triang coupling. Hopefully it'll have an NEM type coupling box.

No!!!! Look at the size of that coupling........ Let's hope something more appropriate will appear on the loco when released....

Keith

It was mentioned very clearly during the 2014 Announcements that the model is being made from scratch. The image shown on Hornby's facebook page (i.e. the CAD) image shows that the model has a fully retooled chassis and has narrow NEM couplings. It was very clearly said that this model is being retooled fully and will not share anything from the 9F.

Indeed, the rest of the model looks remarkably good for a Railroad model and how many ever thought to see a RTR Crosti 9F, it'd be terribly sad if they ruin it with a 1960's style Triang coupling. Hopefully it'll have an NEM type coupling box.

There is no need to hope. Go have a look at the main announcement and you will see that it is a complete retool.

I think it is fairly easy to deduce. The shell is a 3D printed sample, the chassis is from an old 9F, the tender chassis is 3D printed and the tender is from an old chassis. Fairly easy to understand it is an early pre-production sample to test etc. 

• Like 1

Interesting if you take a peek in the 2014 catalouge that evening star is listed as new this year. Maybe the whole 9F range, Crosti and original are being retooled as they did the railroad flying scotsman last year.

Are you referring to the R3288 Evening Star?

http://www.Hornby.com/catalog/product/view/id/4331/category/302/

There was no such mention of a re-tool or upgrade to the chassis so I doubt it. Almost everything is termed as NEW each year and other theings are termed as NEW TOOLING etc.

Just asking: What retool did the "Flying Scotsman" get last year?

Edited by Jeffery B

I'm sure I read in a mag that the railroad scotsman had a re-tool/makeover. As I remember I bought an original railroad one for my son then the said they'd re do it. Typical!

Apart from changing the motor i.e. tender drive to loco drive, adding NEM couplings, adding an 8-pin DCC socket and wire handrails along the boiler I doubt any changes were made. And I think these changes were made a couple of years or more ago. I have a 2012 Hornby catalogue which had these features.

Apart from changing the motor i.e. tender drive to loco drive, adding NEM couplings, adding an 8-pin DCC socket and wire handrails along the boiler I doubt any changes were made. And I think these changes were made a couple of years or more ago. I have a 2012 Hornby catalogue which had these features.

The first Railroad Flying Scotsman R2675 was basically the older tender drive version with a new loco drive chassis and the guts removed from the tender drive.

The latest Railroad version R3086 is a completely retooled model.

http://www.mremag.com/news/article/Hornby-railroad-a1-4-6-2-r3086/12344

Steve

The first Railroad Flying Scotsman R2675 was basically the older tender drive version with a new loco drive chassis and the guts removed from the tender drive.

Steve

Thanks! :)

Steve

Yet thats what I was thinking. Maybe the 9f is getting its upgrade.

• Like 1

Given there was a picture of the EP in the announcement thread, you can pretty much judge most of this apart from the finish. The only Railroad feature of that is the Railroad loco chassis to my eyes (no more former ringfield tender :) )

Sure looks like an EP to me...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-1-0-98317600-1387185748.jpg

Certainly that's not a CAD image or a CG rendering.

Until we have real evidence to the contrary, I disagree. 

Disagreed to your posts because you claimed you were professional at 3D CAD stuff. I think Hornby_FAN was correct. Here is your proof.

PS: Apologies for replying to a really old post, frobisher wanted proof and seemed adamant when it was being pointed out that it was a CAD image not EP

post-21774-0-19633100-1405331162.jpg

Keith

What you're looking at here is an early body - probably what Hornby calls a stereo - popped onto whatever chassis was available. Showing these advance 'proofings' on forums is all very well but unless the viewers understand what they are looking at, all it does is prompt a load of pointless comment. In addition to posting the images, manufacturers really need to post a one or two line explanation of what they are showing, what's been altered and what can be ignored as not being relevant to the finished model.

• Like 1

What you're looking at here is an early body - probably what Hornby calls a stereo - popped onto whatever chassis was available. Showing these advance 'proofings' on forums is all very well but unless the viewers understand what they are looking at, all it does is prompt a load of pointless comment. In addition to posting the images, manufacturers really need to post a one or two line explanation of what they are showing, what's been altered and what can be ignored as not being relevant to the finished model.

Thanks for the clarification Chris - previously I stated that it looked like it was using previous underpinnings (the front coupling and rods/cylinders suggested that to me). My apologies for the misinformation.

Disagreed to your posts because you claimed you were professional at 3D CAD stuff.

With respect, try reading what I wrote in those (and other) posts...

Perhaps what you meant to say is that you disagreed with those post because you didn't share my opinion with the hindsight of more current information.

I think Hornby_FAN was correct. Here is your proof.

PS: Apologies for replying to a really old post, frobisher wanted proof and seemed adamant when it was being pointed out that it was a CAD image not EP

If Hornby (I presume) have said it was a CAD render, then fair enough. That's actual provenance. I'll not rake over the coals of this any further, but I stick by what I said at the time.

• 1 month later...