Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, I've just received a revised kit from Golden Arrow with just the parts to make a rebuilt Crosti. The kit is designed to fit the older tender drive Hornby 9F, but as it will not have the preheater etc will just drop onto a Railroad loco drive 9F too.

Progress in the build will appear in my modelling blog, but as it's primarily aimed at a magazine article I will not post too much detail here ;) I can say though that as I'm awkward I will be grafting it to a Bachmann 9F :lol:

Chris will be selling these kits at £45 including p&p, this does not include a tender body, if your donor does not have a BR1B tender then Chris will sell you a resin tender body for £10 if it's ordered at the same time as the body kit

Edited by RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

Got my copy, and it looks good. Distinctly railroad, with what looks like the current RR 9F front bogie including steps and mounting lugs for the good old big coupling. The front "smokebox" looks cast metal from the pics but it could just be a trick of the light. Only grumble is a handrail present on the LHS by the lighting up chimney - should not be there IMHO

Got my copy, and it looks good. Distinctly railroad, with what looks like the current RR 9F front bogie including steps and mounting lugs for the good old big coupling. The front "smokebox" looks cast metal from the pics but it could just be a trick of the light. Only grumble is a handrail present on the LHS by the lighting up chimney - should not be there IMHO

Hi Ian

Another loco up there with the Beyer Garratt in terms of desirability for me personally. Pity it's going to be Railroad quality though.!!

I'm hoping that with copious weathering it might lose most of the RR looks, what do you think.??

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

From Hornby Magazine's facebook page.....

Looks absolutely AMAZING!!

I'm in total agreement, this loco looks incredible, I suspect it will be well up to the standard of the Railroad P2, will my wallet cope in 2014/15 ????? :imsohappy:

I sincerely hope that Hornby fit a new front bogie and an NEM aperture/ coupling rather than what is shown  in this picture as it spoils the model IMHO !!!!   

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Have they already 'promised' both original and rebuilt versions? The front portion of the smoke box looks like a separate fitting (different colour), could be to accommodate one without the pre-heater? Just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

It's not that simple. The Rebuilt version needs the vacuum ejector on the rhs of the smokebox and the associated pipework cover running from the cab. Hornby would need a brand new body tool. As it is my belief that the preheater is part of the chassis casting they might need a new chassis too.

As it stands at the moment Hornby have stated that they are not producing the rebuilt version in any case. Best bet for one is to use a Golden Arrow conversion kit on a Railroad 9F. I am currently doing one for a mag article but typically am making life difficult by using a Bachmann donor. Chris will be releasing a cut down budget kit with just the bits to do a rebuilt version - watch my blog after RMweb Live ;)

That bogie is a throw back to Triang days. Can't they give us seperate steps to fit later like they normally do?

This really ruins the look.

I can quickly see myself switching that over for the normal 9F bogie.

Apart from that, looking great....

• RMweb Gold

I'm in total agreement, this loco looks incredible, I suspect it will be well up to the standard of the Railroad P2, will my wallet cope in 2014/15 ????? :imsohappy:

I sincerely hope that Hornby fit a new front bogie and an NEM aperture/ coupling rather than what is shown  in this picture as it spoils the model IMHO !!!!   

Nothing a five minute encounter with a hacksaw won't cure!

John

It's not that simple....

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Ian. Yeah, I realise that there are other differences, I was just curious about what seems to be an oddly separate front end and the possible reasons for it. Edited by Arthur

• RMweb Premium

This looks terrific for a Railroad model and provided the paint finish (and there's not a lot for them to do on that with a 9F!) this looks more than good enough for me to buy and be very happy with. Given it is not the sort of choice I imagine will be top of many train set want lists or the sort of passing trade wanting a Flying Scotsman I found it odd they did this as a Railroad model rather than as a main range model however I am extremely happy they are doing a Crosti 9F and if the Railroad model cuts the mustard as a good model regardless of being in the downspec range then I guess we should pay a bit less than the alternative and still get a good model so all good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After looking carefully, the bogie is the standard 9F one from the railroad range.

And why wouldn't it be? the loco is a Railroad model after all. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if this is the production bogie as Hornby seem to want to stick with the traditional large coupling in the RR range. Happy to be proved wrong though :)

And why wouldn't it be? the loco is a Railroad model after all. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if this is the production bogie as Hornby seem to want to stick with the traditional large coupling in the RR range. Happy to be proved wrong though :)

The stupid thing is, I actually feel the RR version bogie looks better with the huge tension lock in place! I can understand if it ends up using the same chassis as the normal 9F however. Either that or they have a new chassis for both under way which we have not seen yet. Anyway, as someone else said, "nothing a hacksaw could not fix in 5 minutes".