Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

It's widely known that all ten of the Crostis were allocated en-bloc to Wellingborough, from May 1955 onwards, the last few arriving in July 1955. Here they stayed until their premature withdrawal, then storage and eventual rebuilding, after which they spread their wings. The only stray was when 92023 went for a short holiday to Carlisle Kingmoor for a few weeks, in November 1955, presumably on trial, although it was back home at Wellingborough by Christmas. My question is how were the new Crostis deployed from Wellingborough, working freights south to Cricklewood is pretty obvious, north to Corby steelworks with iron ore is another dead cert, but where else would they run to in the 1950s? I'd imagine a fairly tight rein was kept on these unusual machines, requiring specially trained crews. North to Toton is another possibility, but would they risk them further afield? Were they used on the east-west Northampton to Peterborough line, which crossed and linked with the Midland at Wellingborough? Has anybody got any storage and re-building dates for these locos?

Cheers, Brian.

Your right with your assumptions on their workings, I have pics of them at the locations you mentioned.

Most went into store about April/May 1959.

20 was converted 3-6/61

21 4-6/60

22 4 -6/62

23 6-9/61

24 12/59 -2/60 ( stored from 8/59*)

25 2-4/60

26 6-9/59

27 8-10/60

28 9-12/59 (stored from 8/59*)

29 6-8/60 ( stored from 6/59*)

Info brought to you via the Irwell Press publication 'The Book Of The 9F's' (1-903266-73-4), which I can highly recommend, and also includes the full story of the Crosti's.

* Info from RCTS 'BR Standard Steam Locomotives Volume 4'.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

Info brought to you via the Irwell Press publication 'The Book Of The 9F's' (1-903266-73-4), which I can highly recommend, and also includes the full story of the Crosti's.

Currently out of print and some book stores want silly money for used copies.

Time to start pestering Irwell to do a reprint.

• RMweb Premium

I wondered whether they might have got to Saltley but can only find later post Crosti pictures when some were allocated there.

I've had a good search on 't net and can only find Crostis further afield after they were "de-Crostified"

Many of the descriptions don't differentiate between before and after states.

Keith

My Crosti sightings were in the  gloom of the cathedral atmosphere of Leeds Holbeck 55A Roundhouse,  possibly in store, and  Summer 1967, I can still picture this from memory,  Crostis handling a small number of special freight  workings departing  Doncaster Belmont Yard heading north

Besides on Cricklewood - Toton axis, I have photos of original Crostis :

92023 at Rugby Test Plant (undated but 'The Book of the 9Fs' states it was allocated to the Test Plant 21 May 1955, before being loaned to Scottish Region (Carlisle Kingmoor) on 26 November and then allocated to Wellingborough 11 December 1955.

92022 at Derby on outside turntable 26.4.1957

I wondered whether they might have got to Saltley but can only find later post Crosti pictures when some were allocated there.

I've had a good search on 't net and can only find Crostis further afield after they were "de-Crostified"

Many of the descriptions don't differentiate between before and after states.

Keith

Rebuilt ones certainly did, my model of 92029 example is based on a Saltley loco quite often seen at Bescot. As Wellingboro' lost it's allocation because of dieselisation Saltley benefitted from having 28, and 29 for a while from April 64.

My Crosti sightings were in the  gloom of the cathedral atmosphere of Leeds Holbeck 55A Roundhouse,  possibly in store, and  Summer 1967, I can still picture this from memory,  Crostis handling a small number of special freight  workings departing  Doncaster Belmont Yard heading north

Rebuilt Crosti's allocated to Birkenhead were a common sight on Stanlow tanker traffic which included trips to Neville Hill right up to their final demise at the end of 1967.

Thanks for the info everyone, particularly Bike2Steam for the conversion list, very useful. I mentioned iron ore trains to Corby Steelworks, well of course i could add that probably means steel trains out as well, to various delivery points. Being allocated to Wellingborough means the iron ore was their prime role, on the main line, smaller locos would have brought the ore off the various branches, but then again maybe the 9Fs could get up some of the better branch track? The Crostis arrival also seems to coincide with the demise of the Beyer-Garratts, hence Crostis on freight to Cricklewood. When the dodgy Crostis were put aside for rebuilding, they were probably replaced by 8Fs, proper 9Fs and then diesels, including the Co-Bos. I suppose the Crostis's sphere of operation was dictated by the extent of Wellingborough men's route knowledge, beyond that wouldn't be worth the trouble, with double-manning, etc. I'm sure i've seen pics of regular 9Fs on the Northampton to Peterborough line, so it's quite possible that early Crostis were used on it, perhaps even to fetch yet more iron ore?     

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Just coal and lamps to add, these will be done at a later date.

post-7000-0-15841200-1440943320_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-26220700-1440943336_thumb.jpg

I've given her another running in session on my layout and had her quite happily pulling a short rake (ducks for cover) of Maunsells at fairly low speed, with no stalling on points.

• Like 11

It's widely known that all ten of the Crostis were allocated en-bloc to Wellingborough, from May 1955 onwards, the last few arriving in July 1955. Here they stayed until their premature withdrawal, then storage and eventual rebuilding, after which they spread their wings. The only stray was when 92023 went for a short holiday to Carlisle Kingmoor for a few weeks, in November 1955, presumably on trial, although it was back home at Wellingborough by Christmas. My question is how were the new Crostis deployed from Wellingborough, working freights south to Cricklewood is pretty obvious, north to Corby steelworks with iron ore is another dead cert, but where else would they run to in the 1950s? I'd imagine a fairly tight rein was kept on these unusual machines, requiring specially trained crews. North to Toton is another possibility, but would they risk them further afield? Were they used on the east-west Northampton to Peterborough line, which crossed and linked with the Midland at Wellingborough? Has anybody got any storage and re-building dates for these locos?

Cheers, Brian.

I've recently seen a pic of one on Peterborough East shed (can't find it now though!). That to me is an excuse to invoke Rule 1 for East Anglia - likewise for BG's  working through to Whittlesey.

Stewart

Well here it is...

A review of another very much anticipated from Hornby and one I really have been looking forward too! The all new Hornby RailRoad R3273 BR 2-10-0 Franco Crosti Boiler 9F, in smart BR Early Black livery. 
The Franco-Crosti 9F’s were built as an experimental design, by British Railways in 1955, to see if the Crosti Design would improve the efficiency and energy consumption of a steam locomotive. A total of 10 locomotives where constructed at Crewe Works, that year.
Sadly the locomotives did not yield the hoped benefits for the class, with the efficiency of the locomotives not being increased sufficiently enough, to justify the increased costs and complexity of the design. With all 10 locos later being converted back in to operating conventionally, before all being scraped. 
Hornby really have done an outstanding job in recreating the prototype in model form! Although the model is branded as RailRoad it featuring a wealth of detail, including glazing, sprung buffers, plus more, and smooth and powerful running capabilities straight from the box. This model really is a must for any BR Steam Era Modeller or anyone interested in usual locomotive designs! 
Another 10/10 for Hornby! 

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjO4NHFm5eE

post-20663-0-57791900-1440947295_thumb.gif

Well here it is...

A review of another very much anticipated from Hornby and one I really have been looking forward too! The all new Hornby RailRoad R3273 BR 2-10-0 Franco Crosti Boiler 9F, in smart BR Early Black livery. 

The Franco-Crosti 9F’s were built as an experimental design, by British Railways in 1955, to see if the Crosti Design would improve the efficiency and energy consumption of a steam locomotive. A total of 10 locomotives where constructed at Crewe Works, that year.

Sadly the locomotives did not yield the hoped benefits for the class, with the efficiency of the locomotives not being increased sufficiently enough, to justify the increased costs and complexity of the design. With all 10 locos later being converted back in to operating conventionally, before all being scraped. 

Hornby really have done an outstanding job in recreating the prototype in model form! Although the model is branded as RailRoad it featuring a wealth of detail, including glazing, sprung buffers, plus more, and smooth and powerful running capabilities straight from the box. This model really is a must for any BR Steam Era Modeller or anyone interested in usual locomotive designs! 

Another 10/10 for Hornby! 

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjO4NHFm5eE

Thanks Callum, you didn't disappoint, another superb review on a quality product.Well done..... 

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that the RHS crest on the late version faces forwards? The short-lived variation of this crest.

Sad news today, I shall have to contact Hornby as mine now has a serious failure. The 1st spur gear (driven by the worm) is actually a double gear. The output gear, (smaller than the input) has started to strip its teeth and jams. I can't really return the model as I've done some work on it. but if I can get a gearwheel I can easily replace it.

Stewart

I have studied the review,  The Crosti may be in a Railroad box, but the model is not trimmed to Railroad specification.

Why has Hornby done this? It must be psychology, if your expectations are  "£5" and the contents are "£10", you are not going to  complain.

• RMweb Gold

I have studied the review,  The Crosti may be in a Railroad box, but the model is not trimmed to Railroad specification.

Why has Hornby done this? It must be psychology, if your expectations are  "£5" and the contents are "£10", you are not going to  complain.

Was there ever then such a thing as Railroad specification.If so,then 'twas a moveable feast ?

• RMweb Gold

... Also has anyone got one running with a decoder?

Yes. The socket is in the loco rather than the tender. I used a Lenz Standard +.

It seems smooth enough running backwards and forwards on a straight test track that I use. I'll see how it performs on my layout tomorrow.

Tony

If Hornby is following this thread, I hope they act on what has been said seeing as most of the posts are about converted Crosti's. Not too surprising seeing they were around a lot longer and got a lot more publicity. I would imagine the 'ex-Crosti' would outsell this one, as it would draw in the 1960's modelling camp (currently excluded).

Edited by coachmann

If Hornby is following this thread, I hope they act on what has been said seeing as most of the posts are about converted Crosti's. Not too surprising seeing they were around a lot longer and got a lot more publicity. I would imagine the 'ex-Crosti' would outsell this one, as it would draw in the 1960's modelling camp (currently excluded).

I very much hope that your right about this totally agree. If anyone from Hornby is following this thread I'm sure there will be a buz in their office on Tuesday morning like I said in an earlier posting this is the best review of a new model Hornby have had in years ...and it's being do by the customer ..... and remember it's only in the Railroad range  :O

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that the RHS crest on the late version faces forwards? The short-lived variation of this crest.

Sad news today, I shall have to contact Hornby as mine now has a serious failure. The 1st spur gear (driven by the worm) is actually a double gear. The output gear, (smaller than the input) has started to strip its teeth and jams. I can't really return the model as I've done some work on it. but if I can get a gearwheel I can easily replace it.

Stewart

Be very interested in how you get on in obtaining the replacement gear ....... Strangely enough I had a similar problem in my Bachmann 9F....must be just toooooo much raw power 

• RMweb Gold

I very much hope that your right about this totally agree. If anyone from Hornby is following this thread I'm sure there will be a buz in their office on Tuesday morning like I said in an earlier posting this is the best review of a new model Hornby have had in years ...and it's being do by the customer ..... and remember it's only in the Railroad range  :O

Please don't forget the lovely little J15 0-6-0. It also had very good reviews as well. :)

With best regards,

Market65.

• Like 2

Be very interested in how you get on in obtaining the replacement gear ....... Strangely enough I had a similar problem in my Bachmann 9F....must be just toooooo much raw power 

May be the same as the normal 9F....worth checking the service sheets on the Hornby site.

Lendons of Cardiff site also has the service sheets as well as the spares they have in stock listed.

Edited by pete55

Thanks Callum, you didn't disappoint, another superb review on a quality product.Well done..... 

Thanks ever so much again Black 5. Really means a lot  :)  . I'm glad my reviews are of help, and it's a joy to do them. Wonder if anyone from Hornby has seen any of them? Now that would be something!  

• RMweb Premium

May be the same as the normal 9F....worth checking the service sheets on the Hornby site.

Lendons of Cardiff site also has the service sheets as well as the spares they have in stock listed.

Peter's Spares have these for the "normal" Railroad 9F:

http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x9909-gear-set-for-railroad-9f-evening-star.ir

Are they the same?

Keith