Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

Following my review of the Hornby Franco Crosti 9F, in BR Early Black Livery, here's a quick running session featuring her hauling a period rake of BR Grey Un-Fitted Mineral Wagons, with BR 20 Ton Brake Van.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling rake of 19 mixed mineral wagons and 20 Ton Brake Van with ease, whilst running smoothly and near silently at the same time. 

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFd888rx8wM

post-20663-0-99826200-1441378950_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Tomming Tank weekend..... :whistle:

attachicon.gifWEB Cushti Thomas weekend.jpg

One day Sir Topham presented a new engine to Thomas and all his friends.

"This is Franco, a new engine who is going to help us with the increasing freight trains" he said.

The other engines looked on shocked "but sir, he is ugly" they gauffled!

"Being ugly is what makes him efficient" stated the fat controller.

Later that day Gordon had a problem, he could not pull the express.

"B-----r" said the Fat controller "Henry and James are on the other side of the island".

"What about Franco?" Said Gordon's driver.

"That is good idea, go and fetch him at once".

Later Franco was backing up onto the express train when he heard all the coaches complain.

"We are not coupling up to that ugly thing" they quivered. Franco most depressed, he had been dreaming of pulling gorgeous coaches for ages. Suddenly he heard a voice coming from the coach shed.

"I will couple up with him".

Franco felt proud "who is she?" he asked.

"That is old slow coach" said the coaches. And she was brought out of the shed and added to the train.

"I am not coupling to that" declared Franco "she is ugly".

"Now now" said Gordon "Being ugly is what make's her efficient".

Suddenly the Fat controller poked his head out of the office. "I want that express train away efficiently" he said.

"Right sir," said Franco "I might be ugly but at least it makes me efficient" and off he went efficiently.

The end.

Got my Crosti today too. Very smooth runner, no tight spots.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived from Hatton's today (5 days delivery to OZ) but was hardly out of the package when her indoors swooped and declared I was not getting my Christmas present early. :nono:  :triniti:  :nono:  

Peter

Makes sense to at least examine it and give a test run before the OH squirrels it away for 3 months though.  Otherwise phoning up Hattons 3 months after delivery to report damage/defects/poor running probably won't get you very far....

• Like 1

Has anyone looked for a source of brake blocks, and brake gear that could be added to this?

I had a look at the Dapol 'Evening Star' kit, but that also lacks brake gear, as does the Dapol 'Standard Mogul'. Plastic molded, or etched brass, either would be a nice addition to make. I know I could scratch build it, but it would very close to the wheels and I would hate to foul them.

I think it is a lovely looking model, especially above the running plate. The molded pipe work looks pretty good to me too (much better than on 71000), and the weathered examples I have seen around really bring it to life.

Any thoughts?

Jamie

I've started adding brakegear to my Crosti, but it ain't gonna be easy. I've added cross shafts from brass rod, but the extra side-play on the axles causes problems, the cross shafts mustn't be too short, or the brake blocks will foul or rub on the wheel flanges, they can't be too long, or they'll foul the coupling rods. It will be best to eliminate the train set style side-play on the outer driving axles, reduce it on the second and fourth driving axles, and for obvious reasons the middle axle will look after itself. It really depends how sharp your minimum curves are, as to how much side play you reduce? I'll do some pics later today.  BK

I've started adding brakegear to my Crosti, but it ain't gonna be easy...

It certainly isn't, because the Hornby model is incorrect in the coupled wheelbase department, spaced 22+21+21+22mm. (Look at the picture in post 664 just above, and the effect is visible.) This makes the brake hanger and shoe fit both sides of the flangeless wheelset very difficult.

The Bachmann 9F axles are spaced uniformly - as the prototype - but steals a little more space, ending up 6" overscale for coupled wheelbase: a compromise that I assume the designer incorporated to aid getting the brakegear in as a practical commercial production job.

• Like 1

Thanks for those replies about the brake gear.

Although perhaps a door to some frustration, I would imagine detailing up this loco would be a fun project, and one I think I will have ago at.

I will be very interested to the progress of how others do this. Are people replacing the wheels to have ones with less prominent flanges as well?

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for those replies about the brake gear.

Although perhaps a door to some frustration, I would imagine detailing up this loco would be a fun project, and one I think I will have ago at.

I will be very interested to the progress of how others do this. Are people replacing the wheels to have ones with less prominent flanges as well?

Jamie

I think the bogie wheels would definitely be changed straight away. Look like a pizza slicer lol

For those wishing to add brakes and rodding there is another source that you may not be aware of from the American firm Precision Scale.  They have both long and short locomotive brakes listed on the Walthers web site https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/585-31106 and https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/585-3323  and  https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/585-3322   .  post-18794-0-12213600-1441454263.gifpost-18794-0-01517800-1441454264.gifpost-18794-0-79783200-1441454264.gif

Good luck to those that want to add the brakes. The hangers aren't very obvious on the 9F, and will need to go behind the wheel flange, there needs to be a spacer between the hanger, and brake block to avoid the flange, and if your running on fairly tight curves - there could be problems. Can't wait to see pics of the finished job - quite frankly I wouldn't bother ( not enough hours in the day), I admire those that succeed - I wonder how many are determined now I've said that :sungum: . 

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone looked for a source of brake blocks, and brake gear that could be added to this?

Jamie

Maybe a partial answer, but here's my old Margate-era 9F with added brake gear from various bits of plastic card. It doesn't stand really

close scrutiny but its OK for normal viewing distance, and there's still plenty of lateral movement to get around curves.

post-6720-0-16238900-1419020905.jpg

• Like 8