Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Gold

My Crosti arrived from Rails this morning.  I was interested to sit it against one of my Bachmann 9f's to see how it compared.  I thought I'd post the photographs for those who might be interested.

post-7653-0-30881900-1440700563_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-02009300-1440700566_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-20872500-1440700625_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-38681600-1440700628_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-53086500-1440700633_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-47437000-1440700645_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-95296300-1440700647_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-84082200-1440700657_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-07388700-1440700667_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-55562900-1440700670_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-21688100-1440700673_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-42928900-1440764714_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 5

How does it pull ?

I have 3 Railroad 9F's and after adding more weight to the boiler this increased their pulling power considerably (same for the Railroad Black 5). Does the Crosti need more weight ?. The Bachmann 9F will pull the side of the house away as bought !!.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• RMweb Gold

Because for the todays price you get a decent model. As for the break gear I am thinking of a simple break gear riging which would attache by the keeper plate screws with alan Gibson plastic break shoes to cut out any electric shorts. Should look ok from the 3ft range.

As for the rest of the model with the adding of cab doors and lamp irons she holds her own next to the Bachmann 9f taking the price difference into account

Edited by farren

I know. I was just wondering why.

I  think that as a eagerly anticipated model that has been on a lot of peoples want list for some time, it was always going to sell. I guess at the end of the day if you want something long enough, when it finally arrives you may be prepared to spend a bit more money and accept the fact that their may be some compromises. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you pay your money and make your choice etc. etc.

I suppose there are a lot of people who really wanted a crosti and will actually do a bit of modelling on the basic model to make it better ( I bet we see some cracking ones on here in the next few months) and there are probably just as many who are just happy to have it trundling around as is.

But I do agree that a lack of brake rods etc seems a bit odd, has anybody looked to see of they are taped to the back of the styrene box like the A1's etc.

• RMweb Premium

I think that as a eagerly anticipated model that has been on a lot of peoples want list for some time, it was always going to sell. I guess at the end of the day if you want something long enough, when it finally arrives you may be prepared to spend a bit more money and accept the fact that their may be some compromises. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you pay your money and make your choice etc. etc.

I suppose there are a lot of people who really wanted a crosti and will actually do a bit of modelling on the basic model to make it better ( I bet we see some cracking ones on here in the next few months) and there are probably just as many who are just happy to have it trundling around as is.

But I do agree that a lack of brake rods etc seems a bit odd, has anybody looked to see of they are taped to the back of the styrene box like the A1's etc.

It's not just the brake rods, there are no brake blocks for the rods to go into.

• RMweb Gold

I have no plans to purchase one. I was just wondering why it wouldn't have them that's all. I think it's a magnificent model.

Budget constraints is a more logical explanation. Also the existing 9F in the Railroad range doesn't have them

Judging by the detail on the chassis some sacrifices had to made to keep it as a Railroad model.

post-7000-0-39854900-1440761222_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-24010700-1440761417_thumb.jpg

I've dealt with the pizza cutters ;)

post-7000-0-36373600-1440761401_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've just taken delivery of a late emblem Crosti, overall impression is good, although this does appear to be a rather strange Railroad/finescale hybrid? The bodywork and plumbing is exquisite, but below the footplate things are more basic, although the valve gear is nice and fine. The front bogie is pure train set, complete with bogie mounted front steps, to deal with sharp curves (fair enough) and the bogie wheels seem to have particularly coarse flanges, which could be turned down in a lathe, or else replaced. I think i will cut off these front steps, and re-mount on the footplate, filling in the missing gap at the same time. The other big no-no is the complete lack of loco brake gear (well it is Railroad-ish), i'm already wondering if i can add some brake blocks from black plasticard, plastic so as not to short things out, pull rods and cross supports can be metal. I'm not so bothered about lack of tender brake gear, it hardly shows, but i will want to bring loco and tender closer together. I say it's a strange hybrid, this is Railroad, and yet it's still got the elsewhere dropped sprung buffers, fine valve gear and separate boiler handrails (although the demo pic on the box looks as though it has moulded handrails, a late spec change perhaps?). Overall i'm 85%(!) pleased with this, and most will be happy, if prepared to make a few alterations, the only add-on goodies are a vacuum pipe and a spare coupling.

Oh, and by the way, it runs beautifully, rock steady, no wobble and fairly quiet, with plenty of pulling power. I'd be surprised if Hornby did a "finescale" chassis for the Crostis and their regular 9Fs, Bachmann have already cornered that market, i'd be happy with a future Hornby "de-Crostied Crosti" on this chassis for the price (these are big choo-choos).

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Brian Kirby
  • Like 1

... I'd be surprised if Hornby did a "finescale" chassis for the Crostis and their regular 9Fs, Bachmann have already cornered that market, i'd be happy with a future Hornby "de-Crostied Crosti" on this chassis for the price ...

There was no brake gear with the old Airfix now Dapol kit, in any version that I have seen. And it is difficult to apply brake gear anyway to the Hornby chassis, because of the compromised wheel spacing. What Hornby have done (in round numbers) is space it 22+21+21+22 mm, (the photos in post 507 show the effect very clearly) for a net coupled wheelbase of 86mm, close enough for the prototype's 21'8".

(The Bachmann is actually slightly less accurate in overall coupled w/b, symmetrical spacing at 22mm, for a net 88mm wheelbase. But that does win enough space to get the brakegear in. I am always very interested in the subtle compromises that the designers make to deliver workable commercial RTR - never seen a single adverse comment about this aspect of this model - so it was a well judged decision. Who'll be first to do a mechanism transplant then?)

• RMweb Premium

Budget constraints is a more logical explanation. Also the existing 9F in the Railroad range doesn't have them

Judging by the detail on the chassis some sacrifices had to made to keep it as a Railroad model.

I didnt realise the other 9F didn't have them either