Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Lovely coaches, beautifully finished. I suggest the underframes and ends should be weathered at least. The vacuum effect between coaches (and the fact that the ends were seldom cleaned and the underframes never) guaranteed that these parts soon lost their shine. If they were mine I would also look at the roofs - service on a Welsh valley line would expose these to a lot of smoke and rain....

Chaz

Edited by chaz

I agree that weathering is a must. The railway was an unbelievably dirty form of transportation which, if you were around at the time, was taken for granted because it had always been thus. But I know from my own company that people prefer their coaches clean. As models, they also stay cleaner if in a glossy finish. I spray my own coaching stock matt these days, but no one else wants them like that. 

• Like 1

There is much I could say, but I feel constrained by professional etiquette and good manners. So,  back to what this is really all about, which is building and running model railways. Here are some previously seen photos of Cwm Bach. Work progresses on Tonfanau Camp and there will be some more to read about that shortly.

Excellent work and not a pig to be seen anywhere -  'peppered' or not!

;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Minerva Panniers partying at Cwm Bach. A Minerva Victory and Peckett are trying to gatecrash. You can meet them all at Guildex Telford this weekend on stand 101.

Regards,

Chris

Great pictures, although the last one looks like you are thinking of modelling a through working to Woodhams scrapyard!

Presumably the 57XX welded tanks/top feed are still on schedule for the end of the year?

Regards

Steve (who definitely isn't interested in one, not in the slightest, couldn't be further from my mind, perish the thought, cross my heart and hope to win the lottery, never going to happen.....)

Great pictures, although the last one looks like you are thinking of modelling a through working to Woodhams scrapyard!

Presumably the 57XX welded tanks/top feed are still on schedule for the end of the year?

Regards

Steve (who definitely isn't interested in one, not in the slightest, couldn't be further from my mind, perish the thought, cross my heart and hope to win the lottery, never going to happen.....)

Steve,

The welded tank 57XX is scheduled for delivery in November (this year) and the riveted tank 57XX is due January 2018. Our surprise model will be uncovered tomorrow morning at Telford and is also scheduled for November this year.

Regards,

Chris

Steve,

The welded tank 57XX is scheduled for delivery in November (this year) and the riveted tank 57XX is due January 2018. Our surprise model will be uncovered tomorrow morning at Telford and is also scheduled for November this year.

Regards,

Chris

...and what was the 'surprise model'? 

Regards, Deano.

....and just as I had predicted in my earlier post @ 1643 pn  page 66. :sungum:

They did look very good with a nice weight to them.

Eagerly awaiting the next wagon choices so I can have a variety pick, particularly if I only pay one lot of postage on multiple wagons up to 5 I think.

Best

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been weathering my personalised Minerva 8750 for work on Cwm Bach. Number 3753 was an Aberdare engine. The only items that don't come with model are the number plates and shedcode plate (Narrow Planet), lamps (ModelU), route indicator discs (Roxey Mouldings 7A109 SR Headcode Discs), paint and weathering powders.

Looking forward to the 57XX next.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-92511800-1507304253_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-49904300-1507304258_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-93064300-1507304263_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-28131700-1507304279_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

There’s something wrong with that...

...it’s not mine!

I know where you can get one.

Superb work Chris, it all looks excellent & the dirty windows are outstandingly realistic!

Keith

Keith,

I applied some Maskol leaving the edges and corners of the spectacles exposed. After I airbrushed the general dirt colour, I peeled away the Maskol and gently softened the edge of the sprayed dirt with a dry cotton bud.

• RMweb Gold

Some of the 56/66xx in regular BR service ran with what I consider to be a rather natty flat toolbox up near the smokebox saddle.

Aberbeeg_Locomotive_Depot_%275600%27_cla

I know that 6695 currently has one fitted

SDR_2009Apr03_6695-1.jpg

Perhaps you might be persuaded to fit one to 5661?

we all know how much spare time you have on your hands!! :jester:

(Both photos from Google images)

• Like 1

Steam-fest at Cwm Bach with a line up of Welsh engines. Minerva RTR 3753, J&M kitbuilt 5661 and Dragon Models kitbuilt 373. They are all facing the wrong way down the valley, but were specially arranged by the district operating superintendent as a favour to the photographer.

To mis-quote:- How green is my valley envy?

Steam-fest at Cwm Bach with a line up of Welsh engines. Minerva RTR 3753, J&M kitbuilt 5661 and Dragon Models kitbuilt 373. They are all facing the wrong way down the valley, but were specially arranged by the district operating superintendent as a favour to the photographer.

Superb. Hope the DOS didn't have to send them too far to find a turntable/triangle to get them back the right way round.

I wish Dragon did "373" in 4mm scale too.

• RMweb Gold

Superb. Hope the DOS didn't have to send them too far to find a turntable/triangle to get them back the right way round.

I wish Dragon did "373" in 4mm scale too.

Probably turned at Pontypridd or Stormstown if the Ynyswbyl triangle was still extant.

Other than that it would have been a trip to Merthyr to use the turntable.

A few years back before I embraced  7 mm scale, a rebuilt Taff Vale A Class was on my list of must haves.