Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

• 2 weeks later...

The buckets supplied with the Minerva 57XX/8750 Panniers are now available separately. They have working handles and are supplied in packets of six for a Fiver plus £1 P&P. Holes  can be drilled to provide hours of frustrating entertainment for Liza. They are available from the Minerva stand at shows and directly by telephone, mail or from our webshop: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/product/6-model-buckets/

post-13142-0-49843500-1510734129_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Alternatively, I recall an article in MRJ many moons ago which showed you how to make your own buckets, using aluminium foil, pencils, pencil sharpeners, superglue and staggering amounts of patience, that would surely put Liza to shame.

Personally, a couple of bags of Chris’ buckets are on my Reading shopping list.

Best

Simon

• Like 3

With the risk of putting a hex on it, the Minerva 57xx pannier will be arriving next week, about 10 days before the Reading 0 Gauge Trade show on the 2nd December.

If anyone wishes to pick up and pay for their advance order for the 57xx on the 2nd December and save the postage, please email us at Minerva at

sales@minervamodelrailways.co.uk in the next week or so.

We have over 200, so help with the date the order was placed or the reference number will be gratefully appreciated!!

Please note that sound and plain DCC models will be shipped week commencing 4th December, and it is very unlikely that we will be able to supply any of these at Reading.

Thanks

Chris B

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With the risk of putting a hex on it, the Minerva 57xx pannier will be arriving next week, about 10 days before the Reading 0 Gauge Trade show on the 2nd December.

If anyone wishes to pick up and pay for their advance order for the 57xx on the 2nd December and save the postage, please email us at Minerva at

sales@minervamodelrailways.co.uk in the next week or so.

We have over 200, so help with the date the order was placed or the reference number will be gratefully appreciated!!

Please note that sound and plain DCC models will be shipped week commencing 4th December, and it is very unlikely that we will be able to supply any of these at Reading.

Thanks

Chris B

Sounds like my Christmas present to myself is going to arrive just in time.

Thank you.

The buckets supplied with the Minerva 57XX/8750 Panniers are now available separately. They have working handles and are supplied in packets of six for a Fiver plus £1 P&P. Holes  can be drilled to provide hours of frustrating entertainment for Liza. They are available from the Minerva stand at shows and directly by telephone, mail or from our webshop: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/product/6-model-buckets/

OOH NICE!   Would they do for fire buckets? I can just picture a rack with three on it outside the illuminated office under the canopy on Dock Green.

Chaz

• Like 1

OOH NICE!   Would they do for fire buckets? I can just picture a rack with three on it outside the illuminated office under the canopy on Dock Green.

Chaz

Chaz,

I intend to do some up as fire buckets for Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp. I'm in Eastleigh around lunchtime tomorrow so can drop some in if you wish. Would it make a difference if I said these were GWR buckets?

Chris

Chaz,

I intend to do some up as fire buckets for Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp. I'm in Eastleigh around lunchtime tomorrow so can drop some in if you wish. Would it make a difference if I said these were GWR buckets?

Chris

Yes please. I will ignore the suggestion that these buckets come from Swindon. I thought their origin was somewhat further east.......?

Edited by chaz

Yes please. I will ignore the suggestion that these buckets come from Swindon. I thought their origin was somewhat further east.......?

Were all buckets the same? I seem to remember a short parody of detailed research in the (I think ) December 1972 Model Railway Constructor. It suggested that the authors had discovered that bucket design on the LSWR showed variation dependent on the CME in charge. The number of rivets holding the handle varied, and there were left and right hand versions. The article was illustrated by photographs, and should, I am sure, be in the library of any serious researcher!

Tim Birch

• RMweb Gold

I recall a review of a book, something like, “An Illustrated History of GWR Fire Buckets” in the Modeller many years ago when the occasional glimpse of humour was still permitted, and thinking, “Dear God, they’ll write a book about anything Great Western.” Then I realised that the cover date was April...

• Like 1

Were all buckets the same? I seem to remember a short parody of detailed research in the (I think ) December 1972 Model Railway Constructor. It suggested that the authors had discovered that bucket design on the LSWR showed variation dependent on the CME in charge. The number of rivets holding the handle varied, and there were left and right hand versions. The article was illustrated by photographs, and should, I am sure, be in the library of any serious researcher!

Tim Birch

I recall a review of a book, something like, “An Illustrated History of GWR Fire Buckets” in the Modeller many years ago when the occasional glimpse of humour was still permitted, and thinking, “Dear God, they’ll write a book about anything Great Western.” Then I realised that the cover date was April...

Getting way off topic, but that reminds me of the classic "Smoke Theory" of Lucas electrical systems.  As soon as you let the smoke out, the electronics stop working.  Which led to this:

post-7591-0-16433500-1510933090.jpg

Never mind buckets, check this out:  http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/product/telegraph-pole-appreciation-for-beginners/

I think I'll order one for Christmas and "Pole of the Month" has nothing to do with eastern Europe. However, this does remind me that Cwm Bach is still in need of the telegraphic communications apparatus as well as point rodding.

• Like 1

Never mind buckets, check this out:  http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/product/telegraph-pole-appreciation-for-beginners/

I think I'll order one for Christmas and "Pole of the Month" has nothing to do with eastern Europe. However, this does remind me that Cwm Bach is still in need of the telegraphic communications apparatus as well as point rodding.

One doth wonder at what websites led you to that one.

Excellent site and I fancy sending someone one of those mugs.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

One doth wonder at what websites led you to that one.

Excellent site and I fancy sending someone one of those mugs.

Jinty ;)

I had the same thought. The recipient would have hours of fun trying to work out the hidden message behind the gift.

CK

That's to go beside the volume on railway telegraph insulators.

Back in my college days in Swansea I remember a couple of friends searching them out in the Clyne valley. (Honest)

Jonathan

That takes me back. During my PhD, I ran the hall of residence up the hill from the Clyne Valley. Spent many hours walking along the old railway track, both to Killay and along the sea front in to the city. Happy Days!