Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Superb. Hope the DOS didn't have to send them too far to find a turntable/triangle to get them back the right way round.

I wish Dragon did "373" in 4mm scale too.

I once built the ex-NuCast cast kit in 4mm scale. It was not an easy build. I think there is on Mike Edge's Cwm Afon layout.

Regards,

Chris

I once built the ex-NuCast cast kit in 4mm scale. It was not an easy build. I think there is on Mike Edge's Cwm Afon layout.

Regards,

Chris

I've kept a look out for one of those kits but the only one I've seen on the well known auction site was a couple of years ago and went for more than I was willing to pay. I wonder if Southeastern Finecast will produce it now they have taken over the old NuCast range. Otherwise I'll have to scratchbuild one but my Rhymney P1 will have to handle the passenger traffic for a few years I suspect.

Regards,

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, the district superintendent of operations has slipped over to Tonfanau Camp to supervise the installation of a new security fence.

Are you sure?

I got the distinct impression he'd gone to harangue head office about some new 57xx panniers!

I got the distinct impression he'd gone to harangue head office about some new 57xx panniers!

"Are you sure?"...  no, I believe that the Suit has gone to see about the arrangements for the next installment of Peppa Pig and Pals visit Tonfanau for lunch at the local cafe.

• Like 1

T’would be a brave pig indeed that would go for lunch in a local cafe.

‘Specially a local cafe for local people...

I understand from Pippa's press agent that the Tonfanua Cafe is under new management...  a vegetarian menu guided by a 7mm railway enthusiast in the same trade

• RMweb Gold

Further to my comments on the smoke box tool boxes, I have now bought the two Irwell Press 0-6-2T Papers.

The auther, Richard Sixsmith, mentions that 40-50 of the class received these either during or shortly after WWII, and retained them until the end.

One, 6625, ended up with a toolbox on the lhs. of the smoke box.

This may be unique as the author cannot find any other photo evidence of such a toolbox being so fitted to either 56 or 66xx locos.

Edited by Happy Hippo

The auther, Richard Sixsmith, mentions that 40-50 of the class received these either during or shortly after WWII, and retained them until the end.

One, 6625, ended up with a toolbox on the lhs. of the smoke box.

This may be unique as the author cannot find any other photo evidence of such a toolbox being so fitted to either 56 or 66xx locos.

The two photos in my collection of 6625 in the 50s and 60s both show the LHS (edit!) RHS and neither shows a toolbox. I'll look at the rest of my photos and see what I find!

Dave

Edited by daifly

A couple of examples. 

post-5366-0-50925700-1508789137_thumb.jpg

post-5366-0-67367400-1508789187_thumb.jpg

Based on photo evidence from my collection, only about 10-15% of the 56xxs had them in the 50s & 60s (about 100 56xx photos)

A similar proportion of the 66xxs too - a further 100+ photos examined

post-5366-0-07578800-1508789527_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The two photos in my collection of 6625 in the 50s and 60s both show the LHS and neither shows a toolbox. I'll look at the rest of my photos and see what I find!

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's what we'd call Sod's Law :-)

6625 is definitely possessing the tool box when she was pictured at Westbury around 1954 if the photo in the book is to be believed.

Perhaps we'll find it migrated onto the starboard side eventually!

Thanks Dave, that's what we'd call Sod's Law :-)

6625 is definitely possessing the tool box when she was pictured at Westbury around 1954 if the photo in the book is to be believed.

Perhaps we'll find it migrated onto the starboard side eventually!

A closer inspection of my photos shows that I shouldn't do this when tired! Compare the profile below and to LHS of smokebox at Westbury 1962 here:

post-5366-0-63785800-1508794480_thumb.jpg

with this earlier one on Hatton Bank in the 50s (judging by the logo)

post-5366-0-44784200-1508794566_thumb.jpg

That's the same profile of toolbox showing in the earlier photo and it is on the LHS as you said!

Dave

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the index on page 12 has the layout listed as Cym Bach . . . . . but that doesn't take anything away from an excellent article that summarises what we have been reading about on here for rather a long while (first post January 2014) !!

Just to echo other sentiments Chris, great article in the Guild Gazette, I read it last night, and again this morning, that should inspire a good number of modellers of what can be achieved in 15' x 2' especially those who are thinking about dipping into the 7mm scale ....... Andy P "again !!!"

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the kind remarks about the article in the GOG Gazette. I must get Tonfanau Camp to a state where it can be similarly treated. In the meantime, the Minerva Iron Minks arrived this week so I have some parcels to pack and send. 

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for the kind remarks about the article in the GOG Gazette. I must get Tonfanau Camp to a state where it can be similarly treated. In the meantime, the Minerva Iron Minks arrived this week so I have some parcels to pack and send. 

Regards,

Chris

Any 57xx panniers hiding in the bottom of the box? :jester: