Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

I like that Chris I've never bothered doing any compensation but that is so simple it's worth doing retrospectively to my limited stock.   A few oz's of weight per wagon should do the trick.

Mind you I have a lot of work on just presently so they may have to wait until the track is "base painted" and I've installed my now bench tested Megapoints system. 

That is going to be a bit of a surgical process to separate the Hoffmann/Lenz decoders kit and replace with the Megapoints modules.

Best

Basic painting on the Parkside LMS 5 plank open wagon was completed today. The most difficult part is the unpainted planks on the inside face. I find unpainted wood very difficult to simulate with paint. My basic method is to use Humbrol enamels with the base colour M103 Cream mixed with M64 Light Grey and a hint of M98 Chocolate. This goes on in one coat that I don't dilute with thinners as the brush marks usefully simulate the grain. I then vary the mix of grey and chocolate to give slight vatiations to other individually painted planks. Hopefully, the photo gives an indication of what I'm trying to achieve. Weathering will of course tone down the rather raw effect. Later on I'll paint the black patches that will provide the backing for the numbering and lettering. I never use the rather odd black decals supplied in the kits for this purpose.

As an aside, I find Humbrol M98 Choocolate to be a very useful colour. It almost perfectly simulates weathered BR WR chocolate brown without any mixing with other colours.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-25049700-1440871277_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Work started today on the coaling stage for the Cwm Bach colliery loco depot. It is a very simple structure built from balsa wood to simulate redundant railway sleepers. There really isn't very much to say. The old sleepers were embossed with my special tool to represent the marks where the chairs were once positioned. What will be the coal mound is scrap balsa coverd in a ready-mixed Polyfilla type product bought from Poundland. I had intended to use air-drying clay, but when I eventually remembered where I had stored it it turned to be, well, air-dried. The chunky appearance of the stage makes an interesting contrast to the finer girder work of the water tower. I will stain it tomorrow.

post-13142-0-20375700-1440874620_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-59417500-1440874638_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-96422100-1440874648_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Chris

I have found a source of colouring for weathered wood to be the decks of trucks, which I think somewhat grey.

I am too young to have any recollection of unfitted freight wagons, (particularly the interiors!) but I expect the unpainted woodwork would be quite similar.

HTH

Simon

• Like 1

I like your LMS wagon and I hope that the one I am building turns out as good. So far I have only used the "floppy" Parkside D's system which to date has worked without any problem. I too might try your idea of compensating them. Looks simple and effective.

Rod

Unsurprisingly, photographs of the innards of goods rolling stock are uncommon. However, this photograph of a goods train at Quakers Yard Low Level in South Wales is rather useful. It shows a rather clean ex-GWR 5 plank fitted open and the unpainted planks on the inside are quite yellow. They are quite a contrast to the well-weathered grey of the Eastern region unfitted wagon behind it. This is useful reference photo and appears in  "The Heyday of Steam in South Wales" by Derek Huntriss and published by Ian Allan.

post-13142-0-85568600-1440943328_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So as long as we achieve a colour somewhere between yellow and grey it would probably have been right at some time. Now you need to find a late build number for the wagon you built. (Don't tell anyone but I am a bit lax on wagon numbering well I never bothered with them when I was a young spotter). Very useful photo Chris. The exterior paint looks quite new on the 2nd wagon and very weathered on the third.

Don

Thanks Chris

You're right about the contrast - suggests the fitted wagon had been re-planked, which I suppose must have happened from time to time. The other wagon seems much more the colour I expected.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Unsurprisingly, photographs of the innards of goods rolling stock are uncommon. However, this photograph of a goods train at Quakers Yard Low Level in South Wales is rather useful. It shows a rather clean ex-GWR 5 plank fitted open and the unpainted planks on the inside are quite yellow. They are quite a contrast to the well-weathered grey of the Eastern region unfitted wagon behind it. This is useful reference photo and appears in  "The Heyday of Steam in South Wales" by Derek Huntriss and published by Ian Allan.

Or High Level even?

(Looking at the bracket signal for the ex TVR line under the viaduct)  :jester:

PS That location is now covered by a housing estate, and the waste tips on the skyline have all been removed.!

Edited by Happy Hippo

The filler on the coal stage has not fully hardened so I was unable to start colouring it. Meanwhile the LMS 5 plank open progresses. Decals were applied today, but not after a Homer Simpson moment. Most of the Parkside kits I have built used press-fix style decals, which, of course, appear in reverse on the carrying paper. However, the decals supplied with this model were not reversed. "Odd" methought, "must be a printing error". So I set about making up press-fix numbers from surplus characters from other kits. I had applied three digits, when the little grey cells started to emerge from their post-prandial somnolence and realised that the decals might just be of the waterslide variety that were so familiar during those Airfix kit days of the 1960s and 70s. It would have helped, of course, if the instructions had been updated to reflect the new style. The wagon is now ex-works and will start progress through the weathering process tomorrow and I'll probably do the two Lionheart 16 ton minerals too. 

Picking off some of the other comments:

- Happy Hippo -  It is indeed Quakers Yard High Level.

- 2ManySpams - I will be at Telford on Saturday on the Minerva/Dragon Models stand 24. Chris Basten will be there on both days.

- DonW - the running numbers on the model were supplied by Parkside so hopefuly their research is correct. I usually apply different running numbers on either side.

post-13142-0-17589700-1440954711_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

So what does one do on a miserable, wet, cool August bank holiday? Lunch, of course, at The Empress of Blandings in Ower where hot, hearty, wholesome winter fayre was on offer. There appeared to be quite a few other refugees from the nearby New Forest sheltering from the weather. Then back home to work on Cwm Bach. The coaling stage was painted and coaled up. I need to add some steps and maybe toss a couple of rusty fire irons on the coal. The photos show the whole colliery loco depot ensemble and I think the site is now ready for the groundwork. I don't expect to get much done now as the next three weeks are very busy at the day job culminating in the annual Reinsurance Rendezvous in Monte Carlo. I also have Telford on Saturday where we will have two of the decorated samples of the Minerva Peckett on show. We're on stand 24 so do drop by if you are at the show.

Regards.

Chris

post-13142-0-73169900-1441047643_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-56134200-1441047646_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-31305400-1441047649_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Chris

The coal stage looks really nice. I think you're right about the contrast with the water tower - looking forward to seeing the ground works.

Having ordered my Peckett, (the Fowler was in need of some 0-4-0 support) I was wondering if you have any indication of likely arrival date. Should I give it to MrsD to gift wrap for Christmas?

Best

Simon

Time to move on from our discussion about noxious substances. I should be working on the coaling stage for the colliery loco depot, but I am busy with work and Peckett preparations for Telford. However, I found this Parkside LMS 5 Plank open wagon that I built some time ago and decided to finish. Today, I fitted my simple 3-point compensation lash-up that I use on Parkside wagons. It is simply a length of 0.9mm brass wire bent to shape, soldered to a piece of copper-clad sleeper strip and mounted on the floor centre line under one of the axles. The wire pivot can be gently tweaked to the right height. The other axle is then levelled up and fixed in place with MEK. Simple, but effective. Later on I shall add ballast weights from lead flashing and then it's off to the paintshop.

Hi Chris,

Nice work!

I have always used Parkside's version of compensation, yet when weathered the axleboxes sometimes gum up a bit.

Can I ask why you have chosen to add the system that you use - were you unhappy with Parkside wagons in terms of the way in which they run?

Basic painting on the Parkside LMS 5 plank open wagon was completed today. The most difficult part is the unpainted planks on the inside face. I find unpainted wood very difficult to simulate with paint. My basic method is to use Humbrol enamels with the base colour M103 Cream mixed with M64 Light Grey and a hint of M98 Chocolate. This goes on in one coat that I don't dilute with thinners as the brush marks usefully simulate the grain. I then vary the mix of grey and chocolate to give slight vatiations to other individually painted planks. Hopefully, the photo gives an indication of what I'm trying to achieve. Weathering will of course tone down the rather raw effect. Later on I'll paint the black patches that will provide the backing for the numbering and lettering. I never use the rather odd black decals supplied in the kits for this purpose.

As an aside, I find Humbrol M98 Choocolate to be a very useful colour. It almost perfectly simulates weathered BR WR chocolate brown without any mixing with other colours.

Regards,

Chris

Like you I always paint on the black panels - makes life easier.

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Chris

The coal stage looks really nice. I think you're right about the contrast with the water tower - looking forward to seeing the ground works.

Having ordered my Peckett, (the Fowler was in need of some 0-4-0 support) I was wondering if you have any indication of likely arrival date. Should I give it to MrsD to gift wrap for Christmas?

Best

Simon

Simon,

Our aim is to have them for the Reading GOG trade show. We're on schedule so far, but there is always the risk of Gremlins interfering.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Nice work!

I have always used Parkside's version of compensation, yet when weathered the axleboxes sometimes gum up a bit.

Can I ask why you have chosen to add the system that you use - were you unhappy with Parkside wagons in terms of the way in which they run?

Like you I always paint on the black panels - makes life easier.

Kindest,

CME

I just prefer a proper three-point system or springing and I do think wagons so fitted roll better. The Parkside system reminds me of Winston Churchill's rejoinder on being introduced to a lady who rejoiced in the name of Bossom, "Ah, I see, neither one thing nor the other."

I just prefer a proper three-point system or springing and I do think wagons so fitted roll better. The Parkside system reminds me of Winston Churchill's rejoinder on being introduced to a lady who rejoiced in the name of Bossom, "Ah, I see, neither one thing nor the other."

Thanks Chris, I see what you mean and indeed 3 point compensation is better - your idea is a beautifully simple and effective solution.

BTW I love the Churchill quote! LOL!!

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

We weren't sure if the black and green 2nd engineering prototypes of the Minerva Peckett would arrive in time for Guuldex at Telford this weekend. As a contingency plan, I painted the 1st EP GWR unlined post-1928 green, which will be one of the three livery options. Here it is on Cwm Bach, but remember tyhis is the 1st EP and the faults have been corrected. . Photos of the black-liveried 2nd EP at Guildex can be viewed in the Minerva section of RMWeb. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96810-minerva-model-railways-a-new-o-gauge-manufacturer-is-launched-and-announces-peckett-e-class/page-13

post-13142-0-52257400-1441547554_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-03962500-1441547557_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-14747300-1441547562_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-92008700-1441547564_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-28096900-1441547567_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

It was delightful to see the 2nd Engineering Prototype - with the few concerns I had had very nicely addressed - and looking to have a clean bill of health, if one can be so bold.....

It's true to say that these ready-to-run locos are just getting better and better in quality.

• Like 1

Looks very nice in the green Chris. You've done a good job of the paint there! Looks a little drab in plain black, that's a much better advert for the quality of the model.

Comparing this one to the photos of the 2nd EP it was definitely the right choice to retool the wheels, they are much improved on the other one. Can't wait!