If you can't pull a crowd for Deltic, you shouldn't try. It's an "experience" thing. There was a post a while ago, about some sort of thunderbird operation on the FR/WHR using one of the big diesels; if my experiences of diesels covered that sort of thing, I'd pay to see them preserved too.

• RMweb Premium

If you can't pull a crowd for Deltic, you shouldn't try. It's an "experience" thing. There was a post a while ago, about some sort of thunderbird operation on the FR/WHR using one of the big diesels; if my experiences of diesels covered that sort of thing, I'd pay to see them preserved too.

The Deltic weekend was very successful, which is why the railway is doing another Diesel Gala.

• RMweb Premium

The Deltic weekend was very successful, which is why the railway is doing another Diesel Gala.

With respect that depends upon how you define "successful".

I don't doubt it was a financial success.  Some of the trains were crowded.  Not all.  The pub was packed and by late in the day I saw tray-loads of ales being carried aboard trains for the benefit of some patrons who, judging by their behaviour and attitude, had already had enough.  You don't normally get that on the Bluebell.

I was witness to numerous causal arrivals at Horsted Keynes who upon being advised there were no public steam trains running declined to pay for diesels and went away.  The "bellower brigade" were there though thankful not in the numbers sometimes seen on main line tours.

Three of us who were there despite the diesels (we had no choice of date and had arranged a reunion as university friends) vowed to never ever return to the Bluebell when diesels were running if that was the sort of patron the events attracted.  

So I don't doubt there will be many paying punters again but I ask the question "Are they the sort of people the Bluebell really wants to attract or is it about nothing more than the money now?"

From what I understand the Deltic event was a financial success, having taken in one day alone what they would normally take in a weekend of steam operation. I went with a partner because it was a chance to see and travel behind a Deltic without having to travel too far from home. I can travel behind a steam loco any day of the week.

But then I used to work on Deltics!

I don't doubt it was a financial success.  Some of the trains were crowded.  Not all.  The pub was packed and by late in the day I saw tray-loads of ales being carried aboard trains for the benefit of some patrons who, judging by their behaviour and attitude, had already had enough.  You don't normally get that on the Bluebell.

I was witness to numerous causal arrivals at Horsted Keynes who upon being advised there were no public steam trains running declined to pay for diesels and went away.  The "bellower brigade" were there though thankful not in the numbers sometimes seen on main line tours.

Three of us who were there despite the diesels (we had no choice of date and had arranged a reunion as university friends) vowed to never ever return to the Bluebell when diesels were running if that was the sort of patron the events attracted.  

So I don't doubt there will be many paying punters again but I ask the question "Are they the sort of people the Bluebell really wants to attract or is it about nothing more than the money now?"

Not this argument again Gwiwer......??????????????......IT WAS A SUCCESS - THAT IS WHY ANOTHER EVENT IS PLANNED FOR 2016.

.....don't tell me - you turned up for steam and it was the one weekend in 2015 when diesels were running.....so you try to make it sound everyone didn't have a good time.

We thought it was brilliant - I went for all 3 days last year and I took the family with me on the Sunday.....well done to the Bluebell.

....please,please,please it is only 3 days and if it makes money for the Bluebell then fine and everyone is happy bar one.

....my 5 year old girl and 14 year old boy went with me to see the Deltics - the engines her daddy used to watch by the ECML lineside in days gone by...,she loved them and has talked about her day at the Bluebell on a number of occasions since.

I have nothing against steam - I was a member of the Bluebell for many years but many railway people like preserved diesels too.

I have already put the 2016 dates into the calendar.

Here's to another successful weekend.

• Like 1

Gwiwer, on 02 Dec 2015 - 08:44, said:

If it was 'all about the money' the Bluebell would run diesels far more often as they're cheaper and easier to operate.  Simple.

Many of the sort of people you are talking about are "grown up" (perhaps using the term loosely) 80's 'bashers' whose shenanigans are widely documented, and it was one of those "you had to be there to understand it" things I guess - some have described it as almost 'cultish'.  I was around and spotting in those days but was never 'part of the crowd' although I would gladly window-hang to enjoy the thrash, and wind up Dr Death when the opportunity arose.

Right from day one they have tried to preserve the "rural steam branch line feel" - and think that as diesels never ran there when it was open, diesels have no place on the line now - yet happily run completely out-of-region stock (locos and coaches) because "its steam".  Enthusiasts are enthusiasts and some give others a bad name, whether steam or diesel fans. 

At the end of the day it's the Bluebell's own railway, which they can run any way they wish (I'm not a member so I have no say) but that doesn't mean that they are always right in the decisions they have made.  There are certain iconic Southern locos such as the 33 or 73, Thumpers and similar that are perfectly suited and entirely appropriate for the Bluebell, and far more than some of the visiting steam that has graced its rails.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Didn't you say this ages ago.....

But - It was a success, the railway was happy with it, so are putting on another event in 2016.... and have already pencilled in the date for 2017.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Enthusiasts are enthusiasts and some give others a bad name, whether steam or diesel fans. 

This is why I've stopped going to galas of all kinds. Some right ignorant weirdos come crawling out of the woodwork. Shame really. I was once waiting to board a train at Levisham during a gala and as I stopped forward some photter - we've all encountered them - screamed "GET OUT OF THE ******* SHOT!!!!!!!!!" at me. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to turn and wave at him, but I was so taken aback that I let him get away with it.

Edited by papagolfjuliet

Hope it's alright if I share one then, albeit nowhere near the Bluebell...

925 Cheltenham, at Swanage:

attachicon.gifSwanage Railway Spring steam gala 18,04,2015-5 - 1.jpg

Regards,

Matt

As this is the Bluebell thread, I wonder if Stowe will be put back together in the next two years?  SO's niece is a pupil there and she'd love to see it before she leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas of what might be on the Diesel menu next year? Got to be something different, hydraulics sounds a good idea. They produced two good large events this year with the Diesel weekend and Giants of Steam, I was looking forward to seeing Britannia but seeing Bittern down the Bluebell was quite an event, perhaps 4472, 102, 502 or 60103 or whatver re-incarnation it arrives as would be a good. Whatever, where would you see something like this, I've been behind a tender, bunker or smokebox door on many occasions but behind the nose of a Deltic, absolutely magic? 

post-7553-0-02363200-1450386881_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Right from day one they have tried to preserve the "rural steam branch line feel" - and think that as diesels never ran there when it was open, diesels have no place on the line now - yet happily run completely out-of-region stock (locos and coaches) because "its steam". 

I suppose that us why they are yet to reinstate some third rail...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any ideas of what might be on the Diesel menu next year? Got to be something different, hydraulics sounds a good idea.

As I understand things, responsibility for organising the diesel gala (in the sense of selecting visiting locos and getting them to the railway) has been given to GBRF to sort out. This might sound strange but when you consider that there are more than a few Bluebell volunteers (including the loco department) have day jobs with said company, the fact that GBRF are the preferred company to deal with when it comes to stock movements and non steam charters on / off the line and the the fact GBRF were the ones tasked with moving the waste out from the Imberhorne cutting during the building of the extension. Most importantly though, and something the Bluebell themselves admit, they are not very good when it comes to all things diesel - being a 100% steam worked line the rest of the year 

What traction GBRF may sort out is not known at this stage and I'm sure the Bluebell has suggested some possibilities - but whatever er does come must be vacuum braked as the Bluebell does not have any air braked stock.

• Like 2

As I understand things, responsibility for organising the diesel gala (in the sense of selecting visiting locos and getting them to the railway) has been given to GBRF to sort out. This might sound strange but when you consider that there are more than a few Bluebell volunteers (including the loco department) have day jobs with said company, the fact that GBRF are the preferred company to deal with when it comes to stock movements and non steam charters on / off the line and the the fact GBRF were the ones tasked with moving the waste out from the Imberhorne cutting during the building of the extension. Most importantly though, and something the Bluebell themselves admit, they are not very good when it comes to all things diesel - being a 100% steam worked line the rest of the year 

What traction GBRF may sort out is not known at this stage and I'm sure the Bluebell has suggested some possibilities - but whatever er does come must be vacuum braked as the Bluebell does not have any air braked stock.

Or, use another engine as a brake translator. This happened at Swanage Railway's Diesel Gala last year-GBRF 66 with a 73 sandwiched in the middle for brake translation.

Regards,

Matt

The other advantage to using GBRf to organise the gala will be in that they too have plenty of staff with Pres Connections within the business, let alone from the locos that they have in the past hired in themselves. The 73s can also act as translators too, this having successfully been proven at many Swanage galas over the years.

I know I wouldn't mind a Wizzo on the line too!

• 2 weeks later...