Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peak 45015

Mikeym

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for photos

Its finished, done, beyond help & reasonable restoration.

We've lost historic ships in better condition.

Let's move on!

Dava

All very good, EXCEPT we don't own it! It's not OURS to do with what we will.

I used to know the chap who did own it, and yes he was a dreamer and was told it was all a lost cause, but you know what? At least he HAD a dream. You never know what's going to happen in the future and no matter how far gone something is, while it exists it can at the very least inspire others. Once it's scrapped that's the end of it, no matter what. One hope left, Bob.

After all, why bother searching for, digging up and then re-burying some old King's bones? Were never going to bring him back to life are we? (I'm glad they did though).

Fair enough - but there are a couple of further issues with the old girl. One, it doesn't give a good impression to folk, particularly 'normals', as they go past. (Yes, other lines have similar issues). Secondly, the asbestos issue is a public health matter, and I can see 'authority' stepping in before too long if the corpse starts leaking asbestos in any quantity. That would inevitably force scrapping costs up, as is usually the case when 'authority' gets involved...

Sigh...25901 and pheaton, you have the patience of Saints. To go over all this, again, I salute you.

Shall we recall to the assembled why a "dreamer" (I'd prefer a determined realist to be in charge of any preservation project I got involved with, but maybe that's just me) thought it a good idea in the first place to endeavour on the preservation of this particular locomotive?

Well number one was few 45/0s were around, fair enough, but an eth Peak without external jumpers is as good as any. Unless you REALLY want to get a working boiler in it, what's the difference...

Point two (and bearing in mind I remember the appeal on Preserved Diesels) was the USP. It was the only surviving 45 to be built with split boxes AND connecting nose doors. Well whoop-de-doo. He could have saved himself, the Battlefield and anyone remotely interested 133 tons of grief by just asking Toton to lop off one cab and stick it on a lowloader!

Nightstar, you're a sweetheart. Not only do you believe this demic not beyond resurrection, but would be keen to add to the final bill with OTMR, TPWS, modern standard fire suppression equipment and the kitchen sink, incredible.

BTW, I'm looking to source a Class 56 and Class 58 locomotive to recreate 56042. Who's in?

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thats a peak thats been carefully stripped, by a lot of preservationists prior to its purchase, i know the boiler room roof is running around on another peak....

but you can see from both photos of the electrical cubical that both the reverser and traction motor contactor assemblies are missing, along with the associated air pistons, the engine itself is devoid of pistons and both cranks will be too badly pitted to use, the engine also has a yellow stripe accross it indicating its on oversize bearings so the crank cannot be reground....

Intercoolers are still present but these only fit 45 engine as they are smaller than a 47s....

more importantly the reason the loco hasnt been scrapped is clear on the boiler....on the large ratangular outlet is white asbestos!

for those interested ill be starting a blog on 26043, which is currently under repair for leaking radiators, and this is an operational locomotive but it has a lot of gremlins..but hopefully it will give people an insite in to not only restoring a locomotive but keeping it running....

Thats a peak thats been carefully stripped, by a lot of preservationists prior to its purchase, i know the boiler room roof is running around on another peak....

but you can see from both photos of the electrical cubical that both the reverser and traction motor contactor assemblies are missing, along with the associated air pistons, the engine itself is devoid of pistons and both cranks will be too badly pitted to use, the engine also has a yellow stripe accross it indicating its on oversize bearings so the crank cannot be reground....

Intercoolers are still present but these only fit 45 engine as they are smaller than a 47s....

more importantly the reason the loco hasnt been scrapped is clear on the boiler....on the large ratangular outlet is white asbestos!

for those interested ill be starting a blog on 26043, which is currently under repair for leaking radiators, and this is an operational locomotive but it has a lot of gremlins..but hopefully it will give people an insite in to not only restoring a locomotive but keeping it running....

I know one person who got his hands on some bits of her, I know as I found his torch that he left behind with his name on it, I let him have it back once I had flattened the battery lol

The one's at March were not stripped carefully, was a case of get it while you can and quickly

Just of interest are 26 rads the same as 33's

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

regards the rads... i dont know, in theory being the same builder and bodyshell they should fit.....i know 08 radiators fit and at the same time i know class 31 radiators do not fit.....

Thanks

Simon

when 45105 eventually gets scrapped, its just 'when'  lets hope a lot of useful parts can be saved to go to other "peak" restorations,  especially 45149 !!   in several years time I expect to see 45149 running specials on the main line !!

I would like to see 45109 externally restored and maybe used asa 'gate guardian',   

it worked with a lot of aircraft,  but even these only last for several years  because of the alloy used..

• RMweb Gold

I can pretty much confirm 45149 will not be returning to the mainline any time soon :)

although its had quite an extensive restoration,  it's not thorough enough to allow a return to the mainline, which would involve new bearings for the engine, and an overhaul of all of the electrical machines, and repairs to a few "non serious" cracks in the bogie frames.....

And that's before we look at TPWS OTMR and GSM Radio....

Edited by pheaton

I can pretty much confirm 45149 will not be returning to the mainline any time soon :)

although its had quite an extensive restoration,  it's not thorough enough to allow a return to the mainline, which would involve new bearings for the engine, and an overhaul of all of the electrical machines, and repairs to a few "non serious" cracks in the bogie frames.....

And that's before we look at TPWS OTMR and GSM Radio....

...and ETCS by the time she's ready....  :angel:

• 3 weeks later...

She's been absorbed into the landscape of Leicestershire more like!

I would like to absorb her with several tons of scrap into a furnace and end this farce, doesn't help the railway and the other diesel owners on site never mind the bad PR that this gives diesel pres, in general

Edited by 25901

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that it'd probably be easier to build a new Peak a la Tornado than try and restore 45015. The best you could hope for unless you had limitless funds, time and the right expertise would be a purely cosmetic job so it would look nice on the outside.

As an aside I do worry about the long term viability of many preserved details in terms of running. Diesels aren't steam engines and without access to spare parts it'll be very difficult to keep the engines running. Making parts to order is hideuously expensive and assumes that you have suppliers capable of making the parts. All of the engines in preserved locomotives were obsolete decades ago (one reason even the RN finally abandoned the Deltic engine was that they just couldn't support them in service) and I'm guessing if you went to ask Winterthur about some of those old Sulzer engines you'd struggle to find somebody who knew what you were talking about. Sadly I foresee a time when all of these preserved diesels are stationary exhibits, maybe being fired up every now and again.

• RMweb Premium

An old Canadian warship has recently been sunk as a divers exploration wreck. A solution for 45015 involving a flooded quarry comes to mind, Stewartby brick pits being beside the MML?

Dava

• RMweb Gold

An old Canadian warship has recently been sunk as a divers exploration wreck. A solution for 45015 involving a flooded quarry comes to mind, Stewartby brick pits being beside the MML?

Dava

With all the landfill over the years they are a new mountain range in Bedfordshire, covered in pipes to extract the methane too.

Scrap it, the only thing to do.

I've a better idea. Dismantle it for any spares that other preserved loco's may require.

But I do have a question. When looking back at the loco's BR purchased in the modernisation plan, there has turned up some interesting facts over the years. Like brush did offer a option to use EE power units instead of sulser that would have been lighter and cheaper than what BR did end up with. Another thing that appears with hindsight is that the CP electrical systems did perform better than the specs said they should. Also, the bodyshells of the peaks must be lighter than that fitted to the whistlers, ADHD to the fact that the sulser engine is heavier than the EE unit. My question is if you used the peak bodyshell with CP electrics, and a EE power unit with the Co Co bogies off the LMS twins, would you have ended up with a better loco that what BR ended up with. If you dismantled this loco, could you use the bits to make a what if loco?

Some brave souls have suggested that before to create a replica of 10203, the LMS 10000 group even found an EE 16svt Mk2 while searching for their Mk1. But you would still need most of the electrical system.

Yes, any spares would be helpful to any Peak owner but 45015 would only give up a pair of bogies that would still need a lot of work on.

Having been part of the original team who helped get 45112 running I can tell you more time was spent on getting spares off other Peaks while we could as we knew that with time this would be a issue.

A few who post on here know that all diesel loco's need spares and all will have hard times finding spares not just Peaks