Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

No it isn't Mick. I did think about it but as I'm modelling early summer it probably wouldn't have been fastened over, unless it was raining hard.

All I did to the lettering was to brush it over with dry ground-up artist's oil pastels whilst it was still slightly sticky (ie before 'fixing' it with a light overspray of matt varnish).

• Like 1

I have now made and fitted the half-cab to the third one 65457 - it now awaits some cleaning up and weathering.

Getting there.

Added 26th February:  Am now unsure whether it ever carried this early lettering whilst fitted with the half-cab........research would seem to suggest this might have been fitted at the same time it received the cycling lion crest. May therefore have to change this one before getting down to the 'mucking-up' process, unless I can find any new evidence.

post-14917-0-63493200-1424886651_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-18476200-1424886672_thumb.jpg

Edited by orford
  • Like 15

Managed to pick up from eBay, 'Rebirth of an Engine - the story of our J15'  by Alan Warren of the M&GN Joint Railway Society, ISBN 0 904062 06 6, published 1978. 

Its main focus naturally is on 65462, although there are shots of other J15s too.  Particularly there are at least 4 useful photos of 65462 in BR days with its 'cut and shut' round window tender cab, plus another of 5452 in early British Railways guise with a rudimentary tarpaulin rail on the tender.

I may just have to buy myself another..................................... :locomotive: 

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

Go on Peter - do it!   

Interestingly, the half cab on 65462 was totally different to the one on 65457 (above) - taller with a more angular roof, as I am sure you have already realised, possibly kit-bashed from a scrapped different class of loco. I have a couple of further pics of it. If they would be of any use to you, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll scan them for you.

Incidentally, the same goes for anyone who wants blow-by-blow pictures of how I made the (standard) J15 tarpaulin rails ....or I can post them here if there is enough interest (see below).

- Don

post-14917-0-11398500-1424913718_thumb.jpg

Edited by orford
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Here's progress so far on 65389 - the one which had the wonky forward-leaning supports and additional wooden back plate during my 'period'.  Obviously some way to go on this one yet, including weathering and making/fitting the actual tarpaulin. 

For the tarpaulin itself I am planning to use 5 thou thick brass 'shim', which can be distressed, shaped appropriately and then soldered up so that it can just be dropped into place.

This one is being done based on numerous photographs of the prototype in the early 1950's - including the huge coal mound.  Seems to me pretty pointless having rear windows when they coaled it like this!  in fact, the window openings were invariably entirely covered by the tarpaulin draped over the front of the board/supports anyway and the driver/fireman simply peered around the sides when travelling backwards, also confirmed on several photographs.

That is absolutely brilliant!!..........did these beautiful creatures ever gravitate to the Derby area?

Rgds...Mike

Is it safe to renumber 65356 to 65361?  All my references seem to indicate it is, but...??? .

It lasted until 1962, so unless anyone has any input, there is a long weekend in WA this weekend, and this it one of the projects I hope to complete!

Cheers from a hot and sweaty WA,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

That is absolutely brilliant!!..........did these beautiful creatures ever gravitate to the Derby area?

Rgds...Mike

Well they made it to Kettering on the Midland Mainline on Cambridge-Kettering services.

Now do I remember a tale telling of the shed master at Kettering putting one a local service to Leicester to substitute for a failed 4F?

:locomotive:

Then again...... ;)

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well they made it to Kettering on the Midland Mainline on Cambridge-Kettering services.

Now do I remember a tail telling of the shed master at Kettering putting one a local service to Leicester to substitute for a failed 4F?

Then again...... ;)

Must have been an ex LNER man. :jester:

Does anyone know when the last of the GER wooden cab roofs were replaced ?

Yeadons part 11 says that 7212 and 7221 were withdrawn in 1944 still with their original cab roofs but doesn't say if they were the last.

I model 1948 and bought the LNER version as I don;t like having to carve off smokebox numbers and remove heavily tampoed BR emblems to renumber if I can avoid it, but in this case I neglected to do proper research, as 7524 was withdrawn in 1936, and the LNER modified the cab roofs from 1933, so being able to renumber 7524 to something in 1948 condition is probably very unlikely.

Anyone interested in a cab roof swap? :blind:

Go on Peter - do it!   

Interestingly, the half cab on 65462 was totally different to the one on 65457 (above) - taller with a more angular roof, as I am sure you have already realised, possibly kit-bashed from a scrapped different class of loco. I have a couple of further pics of it. If they would be of any use to you, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll scan them for you.

Incidentally, the same goes for anyone who wants blow-by-blow pictures of how I made the (standard) J15 tarpaulin rails ....or I can post them here if there is enough interest (see below).

- Don

Hi Don,

Yes, I for one would like to see the method used, another bit of inspiration never did anyone any harm (except the wallet!)  Sent you an email re your kind offer of more pix.

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

I'm modelling a 1959 period fictional (but mooted in reality) extension of the Hadleigh branch.

With Paul G's invaluable advice, I intend to swap the tender on 65445 for the one with D holes and early logo giving me a more accurate Colchester/Parkeston loco (same engine features on the cover of the Harwich and Hadleigh Branches book BTW).

This leaves me with the early numbered loco with the lozenge holed, late crest tender.

Whilst the printed number and crest are not beyond being changed, can the collective knowledgeable souls gathered here suggest a suitably tendered prototype engine, shedded at preferably Cambridge or Ipswich, or at a push another Parkeston loco during 1959?

I realise I ask much, sorry, I do have the '59 Ian Allan combi (bible) at home which gives allocation info, but it doesn't go into details of tenders!

Appreciation in advance, C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

65312 is the only steam braked example I can fine with the lozenge tender slots - but unfortunately it was scrapped waaay before late crest days.

Only about three steam-only braked examples appear to have survived into late crest days (just - with the exception of 65389 which lasted until the very end of steam in East Anglia) but they all appear to have 'D' slots.

Edited by orford

Here's the latest 'progress pic' of 65457. Once again the loco chassis still has to be weathered, as do the buffer beams, etc .....and of course the big bit of yellow tape in the cab is only temporary!

I was going to ask in "Modelling Questions” but here seems opportune, Orford, whose Westinghouse pumps do you rate highest/fit for purpose? I've got a B12 to do as well as perhaps both of my J15's and the 'Claud' when it comes if not already fitted. A highly rated friend of mine has suggested Dave Alexander items.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium

Here's the latest 'progress pic' of 65457.   Once again the loco chassis still has to be weathered, as do the buffer beams, etc .....and of course the big bit of yellow tape in the cab is only temporary!

Ah. I thought it was a footplate inspector in a hi-vis just making sure all the work was in order.........but of course such vests weren't around in those days, silly me.....

Izzy

• Like 1

Classsix - So far as I know the only really accurate GER-style pump (which by comparison with most were rather on the 'plain' side) is the fairly recent offering from Markits. Certainly spot-on for the B12, although unfortunately much too big for the little J15's.

The Claud comes already fitted and the pre-production shots suggest the pumps on these will be fine (pic below).

Here's a picture of one of mine.........

post-14917-0-11025200-1424984337_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-08181900-1424984499_thumb.jpg

Edited by orford
  • Like 2

I have now made and fitted the half-cab to the third one 65457 - it now awaits some cleaning up and weathering.

Getting there.

Added 26th February:  Am now unsure whether it ever carried this early lettering whilst fitted with the half-cab........research would seem to suggest this might have been fitted at the same time it received the cycling lion crest. May therefore have to change this one before getting down to the 'mucking-up' process, unless I can find any new evidence.

The Gill Sans livery looks brilliant, historically correct or not!

• RMweb Gold

Now do I remember a tail telling of the shed master at Kettering putting one a local service to Leicester to substitute for a failed 4F?

Then again...... ;)

That's that then........Kettering/Derby Veeery close!!!! Then again I do live in Oz where someone living 100 miles away is close :jester:

Rgds and Thanks..........Mike

• Like 1

Really a me too post this one!

I have had both early and late crest models in my possession since midweek, thanks Rails and Hereford, but only got to open and play with examine them today. Absolutely superb!!!

Beautiful slow running, good gearing, I have added the details and they now await a full testing.

MOY??, possibly, perhaps the D16 might even top them!

Thanks to Orford for the pix of 65361, another little job to do.

Well done Hornby, and thank you!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby J15 trio - Finally ready for service just as soon as the lamps are hung on........

A whole week's work - how idle can you get ?

I like the chap on the platform looking at his watch:

"I've been waiting ages for a J15 and three come along at once! :jester:

Keith

BTW nice work Mr Orford sir!

• Like 1

C6T

Regarding you query above (can't seem to get the "reply quoting post" to work), I've a photo of 65431 at Colchester, no Westinghouse but has D tender-frame, so for my Colchester layout plan to re-number 65356 accordingly.

Paul