Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

Classsix - Hope you do better with your pump than I did when I bought my Sandringham from Hornby a year or two back.......One of the valve chests on that was completely missing and when I contacted Hornby the response was "sorry - nothing we can do - we don't have any spare parts"!

In the end I made one, which was easy as it is dead square and flat - so just spare bits of plastic card and I had the one on the other side to copy. A pump would not be so simple, because all of the commercially available ones are either completely the wrong design for GER locos - or (for instance the superb recent example from Markits) unfortunately way too large for the J15.

Cough, splutter, ahem. I was hoping no-one would bring that up again as it's all a bit embarrassing!

I'd bought my two locos, both of which got tested on the in shop roundy then got them home. 65445 went straight in Dad's display cabinet, facing left, driver's side(?) showing.

Even after all this and doing the tender swap on 65445 it occurred to me after seeing the superb weathering and detailing you chaps have done I thought "has mine even got a donkey pump on it?" Of course rather than ACTUALLY having a dekko at the thing (and upsetting the feng shue of the cabinet) I asked the question, sure in my own mind no such molding existed on my 65445. Lo and behold upon turning the little sod through 180 degrees, there it was, bold as a black plastic thing on a black painted thing can be...sigh.

You know those SpecSaver adverts? That's me...

C6T.

• Like 2

Ken - I'll do a video and put it up on You Tube so you can see and hear it for yourself - but give me a day or two as I'll be up to the neck all day tomorrow doing a report for work.  I'll let you know when it's up.

Sorry for delay to respond, but thanks for the info. I expect its too late to get one now as I'm sure all the first batches will have been sold, but it will be the late crest model which can be reverted to late LNER period,that  I should go for. It has all the fittings rather than having to fit them to the basic model..I think I have convinced myself now.....?

Tod

Hi, we have one BR early crest and 2 BR late crest left in stock both priced at £99.00. www.sawyermodels.co.uk if you fancy taking a look at them. 

cheers

andy

&*$%#*&!!!!

Hattons just canceled my R3232 late crest saying that no resupply was expected so they went ahead and shipped the R3231 early crest.  I did find a R3232 at Rails of Sheffield, I've never dealt with them before so I hope their shipping is reasonable.  Affordable shipping is one of the main reasons I generally use Hattons.

I wonder if Hatttons got bad information on the resupply or if they are being throttled by Hornby?

• RMweb Gold

&*$%#*&!!!!

Hattons just canceled my R3232 late crest saying that no resupply was expected so they went ahead and shipped the R3231 early crest.  I did find a R3232 at Rails of Sheffield, I've never dealt with them before so I hope their shipping is reasonable.  Affordable shipping is one of the main reasons I generally use Hattons.

I wonder if Hatttons got bad information on the resupply or if they are being throttled by Hornby?

Rails are equally good,so no worries there. Hattons frequently pull a stunt like the one you describe.Nothing whatsoever to do with Hornby. Probably means they have sold out and can't get any more for the time being.There are other suppliers,e.g. Arcadia Rail,The Track Shack and the one mentioned above.Hattons are good but they are not Alpha and Omega.

Are all we guys missing something here...........??

Seems to be an awful lot of these being offered by private sellers on eBay all of a sudden.

- Don

It's a similar scenario to all those cute puppies people are trying to sell not long after Christmas.

Bernard

I ordered a late crest model from the Hornby website last week and it arrived Tuesday. I went direct to them because stock seems to be short, no local model shop or time to shop around. Might be worth a try if people are stuck. Hoping to chip it and add coupling loops for S&W couplings tonight.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a similar scenario to all those cute puppies people are trying to sell not long after Christmas.

Bernard

There are in fact 32 for sale on e bay. Looking at them,they appear without exception to be "traders" of one sort or another.I can't see any true private punter among them.Or am I missing something ?

Late crest version ready for service on Pott Row, now needs renumbering for a KIng Lynn/ Swaffham area loco circa 1950 if possible, crew and weathering added.

post-12773-0-94188100-1426359139_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-70412700-1426359143_thumb.jpg

Will look through some picture albums tonight.

• Like 5

post-149-0-38802800-1426418375.jpg

Slow progress with mine. But I gave her a run this morning. More work needed and a couple of photos soon show up what needs attention.

I added a tarpaulin rail, a bit of a fiddle.

I glued in one support and supported the wire cross piece in  a horizontal position and the glued in the other support.

I then soldered in the wire.

It would be better if I do another to fabricated the whole thing in a jig and add it to the tender.

I found a Bachmann crew and performed a bit of surgery on the driver's left arm.

Added a few good size lumps of coal to the tender. I think it still needs more.

Buffers painted black but I think I have overdone it and painted the rear flanges black. A bit of dirt will hide this.

While the front vac pipe is just exquisite the rear is a bit of a let down. Hornby provide a straight pipe while the real thing is angled over the depth of the buffer beam with the bottom being nearer to the coupling hook than the top.

Getting down to very minor areas. There is no tender works/number plate. 

This particular machine had two rectangular holes in the rear buffer beam one each side of the coupling hook.

Any one with knowledge of what they were for?

I know some machines had holes in the front buffer beam for snow ploughs and was wondering if that was some thing to do with it.

The tender does seem rather light but in running does not cause a problem with whatever I have hung on behind it.

Final comment. Thank you Hornby for producing this little gem and for doing a version with the correct number.

I now have a loco that can run on the branch without the Civil Engineer having palpitations about the viaduct.

Bernard

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Nice surprise.  Can't help thinking it is a pity they haven't played around with the locomotive & tender combinations a little more and issued an LNER one with D-shaped cutouts and/or with Westinghouse cylinders.  Perhaps that's on the cards for later.

This is the kind of "milking" of a locomotive most people will be happy with though.

Nice surprise. Can't help thinking it is a pity they haven't played around with the locomotive & tender combinations a little more and issued an LNER one with D-shaped cutouts and/or with Westinghouse cylinders. Perhaps that's on the cards for later.

This is the kind of "milking" of a locomotive most people will be happy with though.

I concur, seems to be another Westinghouse fitted loco with lozenge late crest tender. Though I'd like to point out now that I am not, and sure Teaky isn't, knocking Hornby in its choices. Fabulous model, deserves to sell by the cartload.

I wonder if a whole new facet of the hobby might emerge, Tender Swap Meets!

Eating shoots and leaves, C6T.

• Like 2

Doug - Covered this much earlier in this thread. All three of mine are fitted with Zimo sound.  MX645 decoders, plus Zimo SC68 super capacitors in all three.  Two I 'plugged' in, the other one I hard wired as the tender doesn't have a lot of room and I wanted a lesser coal load in that one.