Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

I'm pretty sure the numberplate is moulded on - it is beautifully cleanly done.

Sorry for delay to respond, but thanks for the info. I expect its too late to get one now as I'm sure all the first batches will have been sold, but it will be the late crest model which can be reverted to late LNER period,that  I should go for. It has all the fittings rather than having to fit them to the basic model..I think I have convinced myself now.....?

Tod

• Like 3

Had a very pleasant e-mail yesterday from Simon Kohler who was kind enough to say nice things about my own re-worked J15's (thanks, Simon....but it was you guys who did all the hard work!).

Simon will be on the Hornby stand at the upcoming Ally Pally show - so if you want to shake his hand and say "thanks" (which we should), then just go for it.

But the real point of this post is to share his comment that after the J15's he       ".........doesn't think that we will be disappointed in the D16/3's...."

Hmmm - Can't wait.

Meanwhile, J15's having now entered service, it's back to re-creating as accurately as I can with the extremely limited photographic evidence available (just 2 photos on the 'net'), the former 1950's Eastern Region Weed-Killing train for the 'Orford' layout. Interestingly, despite being ER, this utilised two (different types of) ex-SR Utility Vans' in it's formation, both heavily altered - so as well as a Parkside Dundas kit I am just in the process of cutting up a pretty rare brown Wrenn Period Four model.......................I can hear the collectors screaming even as I type.

post-14917-0-72945300-1425692294.jpg

Edited by orford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to the information and inspiration provided by others in this thread, in particular Orford for his description and photos of the tender tarpaulin support, here's my 65445 after I've played around with it:

post-31-0-19990000-1425760579.jpg

The tarpaulin support uprights are from 0.8mm nickel silver strip which I happened to have by me, with the cross piece from 0.45mm brass wire.  Drilling holes in the uprights for the cross piece was a bit hairy (and I think one of the holes may have broken through the edge of the strip) but once soldered together it's quite strong.  The uprights then (as Orford described) pass through holes drilled in the top of the tender; I bent them over underneath and glued them to the underside of the tender top.  Height judged by eye.  The driver is from the Peter Goss range, and the seated fireman is from Replica.  I made a set of fire irons from brass wire and etch scrap, and added a load of coal.  I've not gone mad with the weathering; perhaps the inside of the tender would benefit from some more attention - it looks a bit 'wishy washy' at the moment!

• Like 16

post-1656-0-10104000-1425810964_thumb.jpg

post-1656-0-98553900-1425810941_thumb.jpg

post-1656-0-27742200-1425811088_thumb.jpg

J15 mods including fitting the Alan Gibson - which was extremely straightforward.

A brief comment - easily Hornby's best release in years despite a couple of niggles. Smooth running. I post only to give some balance in my own views - having been critical (and I believe rightly so) of certain releases in the last few years, this return to form is much appreciated and gratefully so. Well done Hornby.

• Like 11

I see this more as tying up some loose ends I'm afraid Ian, and giving a more positive end to what has been a long association with the forum. I would like to think it has been modellers who have pushed Hornby back in the direction they are taking, and without those critical, but ultimately balanced appraisals, we would not have seen the likes of this excellent model.

Any body up for a challenge?

I look forward to a seeing conversion to 65462.

Bernard

After a good search, I'm stumped. What would one need to do in order to produce 65462 in its preserved operational form? I'm thinking of around 2008 when she visited the NYMR, so early crest livery. I know that under BR there was a tender cab sheet, but this is long gone, so other than renumbering and adding sheet rails, what would need doing to an E/C model?

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

With all the changes and modifications that are being carried out on these, as several said they might try it, has anyone attempted to correct the boiler handrails yet? Or is it considered a step too far, that it would look worse than leaving alone.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy

After a good search, I'm stumped. What would one need to do in order to produce 65462 in its preserved operational form? I'm thinking of around 2008 when she visited the NYMR, so early crest livery. I know that under BR there was a tender cab sheet, but this is long gone, so other than renumbering and adding sheet rails, what would need doing to an E/C model?

Cheers

J

There's lots of useful photos of 65462 in the following, which I posted earlier:

"Managed to pick up from eBay, 'Rebirth of an Engine - the story of our J15'  by Alan Warren of the M&GN Joint Railway Society, ISBN 0 904062 06 6, published 1978.

Its main focus naturally is on 65462, although there are shots of other J15s too.  Particularly there are at least 4 useful photos of 65462 in BR days with its 'cut and shut' round window tender cab, plus another of 5452 in early British Railways guise with a rudimentary tarpaulin rail on the tender."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From a quick look at the pictures on the M&GNJRS Gallery pages,

http://www.mandgn.co.uk/page.php?pid=28

it looks as though unfortunately you'd need the loco from R3231 (BR late crest) for the Westinghouse pump, and the tender from R3230 (BR early crest) for the D-shaped frame cutouts.  I think the preserved loco has the smaller cab side cut outs, as per R3231.

Perhaps cheaper to wait and see whether Hornby release that combination at some future date?

Given how tight it all is within, a better bet might be an optical sensor arrangement using a feature of the flywheels: both have a good size slot in them, which should provide a suitable modulation which can be related to axle rotation rate.

I'll look at that when mine finally get here, but I'm thinking that it's unlikely that flywheel revolutions will give proper synchronization.  Push comes to shove I can always do the epoxy-on-the-back-of-the-wheel-rim-with-a-wiper trick, but a cam is preferred if at all possible.  I just haven't seen any photos of the underside of this locomotive so have no feel for the available space (or lack thereof.)

Cheers

J

In preservation as you say fairly straight forward.

In the last couple of years in service it appeared, according to various photos, with all manner of local variations and chunks of the pipe covers along the running plate missing. 

Bernard

Erm, Chaps. Am I missing something (apart from a few more marbles perhaps)? Scanning the posts thus far, should 65445 come factory fitted with a Westinghouse pump or one in the box, I can't see one in the bag o' bits?!

C6T.

Erm, Chaps. Am I missing something (apart from a few more marbles perhaps)? Scanning the posts thus far, should 65445 come factory fitted with a Westinghouse pump or one in the box, I can't see one in the bag o' bits?!

C6T.

Should come factory fitted.

I suggest you take a good look in the packing if it is not their in case it has come adrift.

On a similar subject my bag o' bits only contained one Westinghouse hose.

Bernard

If my 65445 is typical, then yes, it should be fitted. In fact, the boiler casting has a rectangular hole to receive a peg on the pump. 65365's boiler does not have this hole.

The Nim.

J15 Etched Smokebox Door Plates

Further to my post much earlier in this thread, I have been advised today (Tuesday) by Fox Transfers that they are about to do the artwork for the J15 etched smoke box door number plates - which means production is just around the corner.

If you have not contacted Fox with the number YOU want for your loco as advised earlier in the thread ...........do so NOW! - and I mean IMMEDIATELY...not next week, or it will probably be too late!

If you want a particular plate for your loco/s then they can add it to the etch at this time and the number in question will then become part of their normal range.  But they can only add it if you let them know quickly !!   If you don't tell them, they might not include the number you want.

sales@fox-transfers.co.uk

Don Mason

Edited by orford
  • Like 1

Ken - Why do you need to put a cam into it anyway?  

I know some people prefer to do this as a matter of course - indeed, I've done it myself on earlier layouts - but with this particular engine I find that with the Zimo MX645 decoder fitted, the 'artificial cam' synchronisation can be set so precisely that you will hardly ever notice the difference....and it's one heck of a lot easier!

For the record - and for any others using this decoder, I found that setting CV267 to '46' was spot-on for both 65447 (Westy-type) and 65389 (steam brake type) ....my own re-numberings - but for some reason 65457 (Westy and for all intents and purposes identical to 65447) needed setting to '49'. But on all three the sound synchronises absolutely perfectly at these settings. 

Be aware though that this may be influenced by the particular sound 'project' which is loaded onto the decoder, so the above settings might need tweaking a bit - I just make the point that sound synchronisation is perfectly achievable with this particular model and this particular decoder.

Edited by orford

Classsix - Hope you do better with your pump than I did when I bought my Sandringham from Hornby a year or two back.......One of the valve chests on that was completely missing and when I contacted Hornby the response was "sorry - nothing we can do - we don't have any spare parts"!

In the end I made one, which was easy as it is dead square and flat - so just spare bits of plastic card and I had the one on the other side to copy.  A pump would not be so simple, because all of the commercially available ones are either completely the wrong design for GER locos - or (for instance the superb recent example from Markits) unfortunately way too large for the J15.

Edited by orford

For those who are awaiting the D16/3 from Hornby to go with their J15's (I have two on pre-order) - the bad news is that expected delivery has been put back (again) for another 3 months.

According to Hornby - delivery is not now expected until 13th August !!

BAAD news...................

Don Mason