Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

• RMweb Premium

Given Hornby have mastered a locomotive as small as the J15, it seems to me they can turn their attention with equanimity to the J21. Similarly small, similar model design issues .... and of course a lovely complement to their forthcoming Q6. Here's hoping!

John

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I bought a J15 today, what a lovely runner it is. :)

In my opinion   probably  the  best  they  have  ever  produced,  twin  flywheels metal body brilliant

Hopefully  with  the  current  Hornby situation, its not  going to be   a case  of   get  one  whilst you can!

Edited by Stevelewis

• 3 months later...

Just bought one at the new offer price, fantastic bargain, runs well straight from the box, very quiet, and smooth. In black early BR livery, so it can sneak in to my new basically Southern biased layout, despite being GER of course.

The loco is DC not DCC at the moment. Hornby have improved the quality of the motors etc., now.

Just waiting on the Peckett 040 appearing soon, for an industrial section.

Stephen.

• Like 2

Good on you bertiedog. The one thing to be aware of is the tender can feel a bit light. I have 2 now as one needs to have some spare parts due to a misshap. Both run or ran perfectly. I am interested in installing sound in one of mine eventually. (Well as soon as the budget can allow!)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All

Had mine arrive on Friday, and got round to testing it last night, ran beautifully at out the box, mine has had sound fitted by Hattons, though it took a look through the internet to work out how to turn the sound on, as no instructions came with it, but now I know that it is Function 1. Sounds great, just need to take it down the Club when we have our next test track night to give it a proper run.

As being a diesel man, this is my first steam loco from Hornby, and it is very nicely made. 

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Edited by ANT
  • Like 2

In my opinion   probably  the  best  they  have  ever  produced,  twin  flywheels metal body brilliant

Hopefully  with  the  current  Hornby situation, its not  going to be   a case  of   get  one  whilst you can!

Well  I was   wrong  there  are still some  in the retailers  4 months  on........................ I have  just   bought  another  one  just  £75.00  which  is  £35.00  LESS  than  the  first one  I bought when launched! 

Hi guys, I also was lucky at the end of May when I received a J15 as part of my birthday gift :)

Just got around to making a video featuring it, runs like a dream but does have daylight under the cab roof, not sure if you can see it in the film?

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I love these locomotives, but I've come a bit late to the party.

The originals (Y14s) had 2 cab styles.  I believe a batch of the later ones had a larger, lower scoop out of the cab sheets.  Am I right in thinking that Hornby produced both?

Also, LNER raised the cab roofs.  Do all the Hornby versions have this feature?

Would some kind person mind re-capping what variants Hornby has so far produced and what it has announced?

I don't know about the side sheets, but Hornby has produced both types of roof.

Interesting.  It is not beyond the realms of possibility that one might appear back-dated on Castle Aching, in the far off future. 

Unlined goods black for 1905, I would think, but with the option of an air-braked one in Prussian Blue, which brings us back to JC's question about the side sheets.

• Like 1

I love these locomotives, but I've come a bit late to the party.

The originals (Y14s) had 2 cab styles.  I believe a batch of the later ones had a larger, lower scoop out of the cab sheets.  Am I right in thinking that Hornby produced both?

Also, LNER raised the cab roofs.  Do all the Hornby versions have this feature?

Would some kind person mind re-capping what variants Hornby has so far produced and what it has announced?

Both the low and high cab side sheets and both the 'D' and 'parallel' slots in the tenders.

The separate LNER steel cab roof modelled allows for the original lower wooden roof as an alternative but AFAIK there is not yet a version backdated that far.

If there was then there would need to be other changes to boiler type/dome position and chimney type/Ramsbottom safety valves/whistle position/no tender coal rails, more types of wheel and coupling rods and the brake rods outside the wheels on the contractor-built lot.

Edited by Pint of Adnams

Both the low and high cab side sheets and both the 'D' and 'parallel' slots in the tenders.

The separate LNER steel cab roof modelled allows for the original lower wooden roof as an alternative but AFAIK there is not yet a version backdated that far.

If there was then there would need to be other changes to boiler type/dome position and chimney type/Ramsbottom safety valves/whistle position/no tender coal rails, more types of wheel and coupling rods and the brake rods outside the wheels on the contractor-built lot.

I think this is the version you are looking for with the lower cab roof. http://www.hattons.co.uk/69489/Hornby_R3230_Class_J15_0_6_0_7524_in_LNER_Black/StockDetail.aspx

I think this is the version you are looking for with the lower cab roof. http://www.hattons.co.uk/69489/Hornby_R3230_Class_J15_0_6_0_7524_in_LNER_Black/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks and well done to Hornby - off my radar as my modelling period is BR(GE) 1950-1962.

Edit - still a 'late' version though as the chimney is not the original stovepipe and has Ross pop safety valves and tender coal rails added. As it was scrapped in March 1936 it seems an odd choice by Hornby.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I see Hornby have 65469 with red coupling rods due for release at some point this year. I already have a J15 but this particular release looks rather nice with the red coupling rods, I was just wondering if anyone can advise when it received them? I suspect this was circa 1960 for railtour and shed mascot duties, but if anyone can confirm that'd be great. If it gained them in early 50's then I'll be having one! Similarly, 65471 gained red rods, anyone know when this particular example gained them?

• RMweb Gold

May 1960 according to this website. Interesting about the tender change as well.

https://buckjumper.wordpress.com/locos/j15-65469/

I'm pondering about getting one of these seeing as there are a few offers on.

Jason

They are cheap as chips - though haven't got down to £40 mark of the Q1's at Hattons (back in the day)... YET Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

They are cheap as chips - though haven't got down to £40 mark of the Q1's at Hattons (back in the day)... YET

Kernow has early crest ones for £55 at present.

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 2