Class 128 sound

Doughnut

Has anyone done, or is considering doing, a sound chip for the Heljan class 128 DPU? The only DMU sound that seems to be available is the Leyland BUT, for the 108 105,101 117...etc. Don't think anyone has done the Leyland Albion, which is what the 128's had?? I know a preserved class 115 still exists, which has the Albion and was wondering if anyone might have used recordings from this??

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Howes have one, couldn't tell you what it was based on, think its based on more generic sounds to be honest. Happy to be corrected but the exhaust rattle makes it sound like it was recorded from the exhaust cab of a single car unit, and as we know no 128s exist anymore so it could only have been either a 121 or 122

Here you go.....sorry about the background noise, its my boiler which could give a paxman valenta a run for its money, and my sniffing ive a got a stinking cold....

Sounds on the chip are ok, clear but as you can see a bit slow to react what the model is doing, so unless your ultra slow with the controls stopping quickly means the sounds take a little while to catch up....

just sounds like a naturally aspirated bog cart to me, deffo off a single car though IMO, and started off the cab buttons as well hence the only reason for the single audible engine start, sounds are pretty good a little quiet but lets be honest a little Leyland flat 6 isn't known for its thrash is it....TL11 on the other hand :)

Nice video. Lovely model isn't it.

Yes,I think that's the same one I have fitted in my 117 and 108, which is the generic one - Leyland BUT. Good for the two bubble cars (121 &122) also,like you say. Think the Albion sounds a wee bit 'heavier', as it was a bigger engine. The trans-pennines had them too.

Dave

Dave,

I am no 1st generation railcar expert, but I have made recordings from quite a few different BUT engined classes, most of which were Leyland.

Of the BUT types, the way the exhaust system was designed (and subsequently maintained) seems to have more impact on the sounds heard than differences in the manufacturer within the BUT group.

Close-up, however, (I really mean adjacent!) the sounds of the ancillaries are different with those on the Albion being driven from the opposite end of the engine on a belted arrangement. If I remember correctly, the Derby Lightweights had Albion engines.

However, from my own recordings, the differences are mostly dependant upon how many power cars were in a formation (ie how many engines to share the load), and the rasp from the exhaust. Much of the control equipment was very similar and likewise the gearboxes, excluding the hydraulics of course.

Digitrains have a ZIMO sound project which although based on Leyland sound quite a bit different to the Howes version, so could provide variety. I am working on an Albion version at the moment, though with the commitments I have at the moment, I can't say when it will be completed.

However it will feature, as does Digitrains' current version, 'manual gearchanges' so you can get some gear change action even on small layouts. That will certainly add variety.

Here's a list of the sounds on the current Digitrains 1st generation DMU:

Function list.

F0                           Lights on/off
F1                           Engines start up/shut down (two engines)
F2                           Hi-Lo horns (hold to extend second tone)
F3                           Lo-Hi Horns (hold to extend second tone)
F4                           Hi-Lo horns (hold to extend first tone)
F5                           4th
gear cruise
F6                           Hold engines at idle
F7                           Engines at cruise
F8                           Lo-Hi Horns (hold to extend first tone)
F9                           Flange squeal (adjustable length)
F10 On                  Guard’s single buzzer
F10 Off                 Driver’s single buzzer response (different sound from Guard's buzzer)
F11 On                  Guard’s double buzzer
F11 Off                 Driver’s double buzzer response
F12 On                  Driver’s door opening
F12 Off                 Driver’s door closing
F13 On                  Driver’s window opening
F13 Off                 Driver’s window closing
F14                         Passenger doors slamming
F15 On                  Individual passenger door opening
F15 Off                 Individual passenger door closing
F16 On                  Passenger door droplight opens then door opens
F16 Off                 Passenger door closes then droplight closes
F17                         Windscreen Wipers
F18                         Handbrake applied
F19                         Air tanks drained

ZIMO MX645R from Digitrains with the DMU sounds loaded is £85, plus your choice of speaker, £5-£7.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone done, or is considering doing, a sound chip for the Heljan class 128 DPU? The only DMU sound that seems to be available is the Leyland BUT, for the 108 105,101 117...etc. Don't think anyone has done the Leyland Albion, which is what the 128's had?? I know a preserved class 115 still exists, which has the Albion and was wondering if anyone might have used recordings from this??

Dave

They had Albion engines - more powerful than the BUT engine and with a completely different (and much heavier) cylinder head.  Definitely sounded a bit different from the usual SPCs of their time.

The Albion had a more throaty roar to it, however it varied quite a lot between classes due to the silencers/expansion boxes fitted, as did most other units. That clip sounds more like a Leyland 680 that is running on no load.

Regards

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Have one of these - isn't exactly a thrashmeister recording but as with everything else is best if you drive to the chip sounds.

Has a great de dum de dum rail joint sound on one of the functions ...

Phil

Yes the AEC BUT engine was similar to the Leyland BUT - 150bhp, but as has been mentioned, the Albion was a 230bhp beast, with a heavier sound. The 128's were Albion, as were the 123, 124 ,115 and possibly the 114's if I remember rightly. And they're are not quite extinct, as i think a 115 was preserved. Think there are some 114's knocking about too?

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I got a Howes sound chip in my 128. Sorry to say its a bit disappointing. The sounds themselves are fine, but the problem for me is driveability over short distances. Best explained by example: say you want to couple it up to a van, you stop the 128 just short of the van, then apply power to move forward the inch or so to couple up, then stop, but the sound goes through the full acceleration routine. Hence you have a stationary 128 which sounds like its roaring away on full power.

As my end to end layout involves lots of shunting and short moves, my Howes chipped 128 is very disappointing. Not sure how to resolve it, perhaps get it reblown by someone else?

Class 114 at Butterley is currently undergoing an interior restoration in the power car so is out of traffic until at least later on this year.

CLASS 114/1 that has TL11's is also out of traffic with compressor faults. (just awaiting shed space to sort it out) This one really is an absolute beast.

If anyone wants to enquire about recording the standard Class 114, Class 127 or Class 141 or in fact any other loco based on site then PM me and I'll put you in contact with the relevant people. This also includes narrow gauge loco's

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I got a Howes sound chip in my 128. Sorry to say its a bit disappointing. The sounds themselves are fine, but the problem for me is driveability over short distances. Best explained by example: say you want to couple it up to a van, you stop the 128 just short of the van, then apply power to move forward the inch or so to couple up, then stop, but the sound goes through the full acceleration routine. Hence you have a stationary 128 which sounds like its roaring away on full power.

As my end to end layout involves lots of shunting and short moves, my Howes chipped 128 is very disappointing. Not sure how to resolve it, perhaps get it reblown by someone else?

Hi, as a result of this discussion, i've had my 128 reblown by Biff. Not only is the sound great, but I can now move it forward a inch to couple onto a van with the sound matching the movement. Problem solved, many thanks to Biff for his help and solution.

• RMweb Premium

The AEC engine was the same as fitted to the London Transport RF class buses. The Albion engine IIRC was used in some military applications. The Leyland and AEC engines each had their own distinctive sounds, the AEC was a lot smoother and a bit quieter than the Leyland.

• 1 month later...

On Monday morning I received a sound decoder from DC Kits for my Class 128. I followed the suggestions in the threads before and choosed a ESU Loksound V4.0 with sound files made from Legomanbiffo.

The result are very impressive, the gear changes are good even for short distances. Full satiesfied.

I was a little under pressure, because I needed the sound decoder for a exhibition. Charlie Petty from DC Kits keep his promise, the decoder was delivered on time. Very good and recommendable service.

Once again sorry for my bad english.

Best greetings from Potsdam, Germany

Torsten

• 6 months later...

Would like the 128 sound decoder & speaker as featured in Hornby Magazine (Dec 2014). Hope Digitrains haven't sold out! An interesting project. Any recommendations otherwise? Cheers, Bob

Bob,

Don't worry, Digitrains will load one for you in a couple of minutes.

Did you notice the price?

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived