SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

One day, and it only happened the once, the bus diverted into Butlitz. I was quite worried. There were guards in white coats on the gates. But they let us out again in the end.

There were teeshirts available at one time marked 'Butlitz Holiday Camp - Escape Commitee'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I spent an 80s weekend at Stalag Minehead, it was a stag do, we went down the town for beer and nosh and then went back for the evening entertainment, except for Sunday afternoon when we watched a group of young ladies in an apartment across the road wandering about with next too nothing or less on. It turned a lot of old men very dirty that afternoon.

• Like 1

Lynne recounts that, when she stayed at a Butlin's as a child, her father spent most of the week trying to disconnect the loudspeakers, as it was a bit too much like being on board a 'flat-top', where he'd spent his war. Whilst such camps dropped from favour in the UK, the 'company councils' of larger French companies retained similar facilities until recent times.

• RMweb Premium

Warners 'camp' at Seaton lasted until fairly recently, however I think it had been left derelict for quite some time. The site is now partly developed by a huge Tesco. The rest of the site looked like it would be developed for light Industy or housing when I was there in October '14. Seaton is not as posh as Sidmouth not as lively as Exmouth, and not quite as posh as Lyme Regis, but I think it could rise from the ashes as a retreat for old gits like me. Nothing much locally for young uns though and it is probably a bit too far off the tracks for commuting to Exeter. What do I know?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I started on a layout based on Seaton Jn albeit in N. Never got that far, it got scrapped and the track recovered when the house was sold thanks to a divorce.

In my case it was going to assume a GWR air by placing it further west.

The operating potential looks massive and it always struck me that it would be an ideal model for a club or someone who likes to tinker with DCC and computer control. That is not to say it isn't a good 'home' layout but I felt that it would difficult to work singlehanded if one had ambitions for a fairly intense service.

• RMweb Premium

I started on a layout based on Seaton Jn albeit in N. Never got that far, it got scrapped and the track recovered when the house was sold thanks to a divorce.

The operating potential looks massive and it always struck me that it would be an ideal model for a club or someone who likes to tinker with DCC and computer control. That is not to say it isn't a good 'home' layout but I felt that it would difficult to work singlehanded if one had ambitions for a fairly intense service.

Fair point Richard but in my experience a layout that offers "a fairly intense service" attracts a band of operators to do it justice.

• RMweb Premium

Fair point Richard but in my experience a layout that offers "a fairly intense service" attracts a band of operators to do it justice.

Just look at Grantham - The Streamliner Years to show that.

• RMweb Premium

I don't plan a divorce at the moment as SWMBO keeps me suitably tame with chocolate that she manages to secrete most of the time. Thus SOSJ will not be ripped up just yet. However, it is planned to be disposable by demolition when I croak; I decided that ages ago so those left do not have to fret.

You would have had to got to Exeter Central to get proper GWR ( the loco for/ from the Cement from wherever) and 72A for a few Panniers, but that would have been your 'air' other than when there were diversions due to 'incidents' down the Exe Valley.

One of the Sheffield Clubs did an OK  version and it was in the 2006 RM. Theirs was DC. 

I decided on DCC for operational purposes (and I already have the kit). The plan is, in the main and when I'm solo, to use the layout to present trains for photos and then place them on here for folk to spot the inaccuracies. I shall be trying my best to catch them out so it should be fun if a little messy at times when I get angry :triniti:  :hunter:  :mad_mini:  :angry:  :bomb_mini:  :diablo_mini: .  

When I have a guest or two, we shall have fun doing the 'Summer Saturday Timetable'. As it isn't an exhibition layout we can take as long as we like to set up the ops and slob around drinking tea and scoffing GF goodies (and maybe some of the above mentioned hidden chocolate :bo_mini: ).

My most intense operation time will be when the line is closed due to landslips on the 'Incline'; the photo's for that will be amazing. Next in the busiest ops league will be winter Sundays on the Seaton Branch when there was a bus service instead of the shuttle. :whistle:

This will happen in 2018 if I get on with things instead of ###### about on here and accidentally buying totally inappropriate things like yellow J94s! :fool:

Oh yes, welcome to the mad house.

Ar$e

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And when you haven't got challenging operating conditions you only need to pop down to the tracks just to the west of the old 36E site to see them there. I'm getting fed up with falling out of my seat or having to stop my drink and laptop sliding onto the floor due to stopping on the superelevated track ....

Anyway challenging operating conditions are rarely, if ever met on OUR railways as the Fat Controller (aka Crispy Duck when he gets his DCC wires mixed up) won't allow it.

• RMweb Premium

And when you haven't got challenging operating conditions you only need to pop down to the tracks just to the west of the old 36E site to see them there. I'm getting fed up with falling out of my seat or having to stop my drink and laptop sliding onto the floor due to stopping on the superelevated track ....

Anyway challenging operating conditions are rarely, if ever met on OUR railways as the Fat Controller (aka Crispy Duck when he gets his DCC wires mixed up) won't allow it.

Do  ya mean on the Worksop line or the Eat Comfortably Mostly Late line?

36E had two sheds so I can't quite work out where you be.

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking of the Eat Comfortably Mostly Late bit which was 36E (GN) if I'm correct, the Duck will put me right on that I'm sure. In fact it is Always Late at the moment. They've had yet another train break down in the single line working. That's no 2 or no 3. I'm kind of resigned to trips via the former 40A. I'm also getting used to getting home after midnight ...

Once my modelling starts in earnest (I wonder if he will be troubled by that) then the shed code will be TN (latterly 83B).

• RMweb Premium

Bear in mind too that the intensity of the service is dictated by the wishes and abilities of the owner. My layout is very rarely run to anything like its capacity, but I'm happy to do things at a pace and in a way which suit me, and avoids stressful situations.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, it is, no doubt, all the better for it from your point of view. Like SJ PN would make a fantastic club layout but it is very much an each to their own scenario.

I just lost my way when I had to, financially, effectively start from scratch again in 1999. I have been very, very fortunate over the last 10 years in that I am now in a position where I will be in a better place than before the divorce!

• RMweb Premium

At which point any sensible person would get down from the loft. :)

One would expect down feathers from a duck that is moulting.

Who can remember having a Eidadown before the days of continental quilts?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking of the Eat Comfortably Mostly Late bit which was 36E (GN) if I'm correct, the Duck will put me right on that I'm sure. In fact it is Always Late at the moment. They've had yet another train break down in the single line working. That's no 2 or no 3. I'm kind of resigned to trips via the former 40A. I'm also getting used to getting home after midnight ...

Once my modelling starts in earnest (I wonder if he will be troubled by that) then the shed code will be TN (latterly 83B).

Ah you were west of 36E GC Shed then which was east of where the  lower platforms of Retford Staion are now. 36E GN shed was westish of the ECML.

Bad luck on the train again Richard. What a faff.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

One would expect down feathers from a duck that is moulting.

Who can remember having a Eidadown before the days of continental quilts?

Who can remember having a continental quilt before the days of duvets?

btw - What's an Eida?

• RMweb Premium

Not a modelling alert but something almost appropriate for here.

I have my list of loco's that I would like to have available; found that this afternoon. However, the cull must be planned. The Packets must be reduced to about 8. The Light Pacifics to about 15.

2 Ns will be sufficient so 3 must go. I'm not sure I need 5 Arthurs, but they are very good looking machines. Hold on that decision.

Tomorrow, when it is p####g down, I shall check my renumbering sets I have for the Packets and Spams and the tender variants I have/require. I still won't get the Spams just right (as Chris and Mr. Muzz would) as I CBA to look at the cab and tender width 'problems'.

Anyone got a working Heljan Hymek (suitable for 1964 livery) they want to swap for a Packet or Spam?

Apart from the above there will be a list of loco's needing a new home almost as interesting as CKs list. 

Other jobs I have decided are very necessary.

1. Clear an area for the existing hotch potch of stock boxes;

get some more boxes;

sort the stock (and loco's) into appropriate 'sets' and label the boxes;

list the contents of the above.

2. Gather kits that I really will never build and that I do not need and put them on an auction site.

3. Gather the loco's I have collected that are of no damn use other than as ornaments. Select a few 'ornaments' and move on the rest.

Anyone want a bright yellow DJ Models J94?

4. Chuck out loads of rubbishy bits and pieces I have had for well over 30 or 40 years, or at least pass on some of the dreadful, early Hornby loco's to a charity.

5. Gather together in just one or two boxes for each the other bits, such as scenic materials and paints, electrics stuff and detailing bits that at present are in all sorts of different bags and small boxes spread around the loft. 

I really need to do all of this as i have forgotten half the stuff I possess and my memory of what I've got and where it is is gradually failing. 

That will do for now.

Philth.

Who can remember having a continental quilt before the days of duvets?

btw - What's an Eida?

A relative of mine from the cold Greenland (I think) areas but I think it is Eider.

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not a modelling alert but something almost appropriate for here.

I have my list of loco's that I would like to have available; found that this afternoon. However, the cull must be planned. The Packets must be reduced to about 8. The Light Pacifics to about 15.

2 Ns will be sufficient so 3 must go. I'm not sure I need 5 Arthurs, but they are very good looking machines. Hold on that decision.

Tomorrow, when it is p####g down, I shall check my renumbering sets I have for the Packets and Spams and the tender variants I have/require. I still won't get the Spams just right (as Chris and Mr. Muzz would) as I CBA to look at the cab and tender width 'problems'.

Anyone got a working Heljan Hymek (suitable for 1964 livery) they want to swap for a Packet or Spam?

Apart from the above there will be a list of loco's needing a new home almost as interesting as CKs list. 

Other jobs I have decided are very necessary.

1. Clear an area for the existing hotch potch of stock boxes;

get some more boxes;

sort the stock (and loco's) into appropriate 'sets' and label the boxes;

list the contents of the above.

2. Gather kits that I really will never build and that I do not need and put them on an auction site.

3. Gather the loco's I have collected that are of no damn use other than as ornaments. Select a few 'ornaments' and move on the rest.

Anyone want a bright yellow DJ Models J94?

4. Chuck out loads of rubbishy bits and pieces I have had for well over 30 or 40 years, or at least pass on some of the dreadful, early Hornby loco's to a charity.

5. Gather together in just one or two boxes for each the other bits, such as scenic materials and paints, electrics stuff and detailing bits that at present are in all sorts of different bags and small boxes spread around the loft. 

I really need to do all of this as i have forgotten half the stuff I possess and my memory of what I've got and where it is is gradually failing. 

That will do for now.

Philth.

A relative of mine from the cold Greenland (I think) areas but I think it is Eider.

Quack.

Yep, I knew that Ducky.  Hence the comment.  They can also be found in UK waters so your relatives may be nearer than you think!

Re: "Sort the stock..." - May I suggest you take a few photos when you do this, for insurance purposes.

Re: 2. - Ask on here first, you might save the fees.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I knew that Ducky.  Hence the comment.  They can also be found in UK waters so your relatives may be nearer than you think!

Re: "Sort the stock..." - May I suggest you take a few photos when you do this, for insurance purposes.

Re: 2. - Ask on here first, you might save the fees.

Thanks for that idea re the Insurance. I doubt they will get nicked but they might get lost if there was a huge storm or, God forbid, a fire.

I'm hoping I can get away with dropping hints about stock before I have to resort to Auctions.

Thanks matey.

P

• Like 1