Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Fairly unrelated, but with a railway theme, so probably appropriate given our preference for going off topic....

I've been commissioned to write up the award entries for the upcoming FTA Awards which are all about promoting innovation in transport, so have spent this week interviewing lots of very senior people in the transportation industry.

This afternoon I had a most delightful call with the top engineering bloke at one of the rail freight companies. We spent much of our time talking about what they are doing around servicing their fleet of legacy BR  leccy locos - classes 86 and 90, and touched on their diesels

Turns out he was the man i/c  Chart beacon depot when they were bringing in the Eurostars so was in charge of sorting out all their teething troubles. HE got to a very senior role having started out cutting his teeth on the tools as a fitter at Ashford.

We spent some time taking about how they have automated the procurement of parts and stores management and both agreed it's a sadder day now that we can no longer send an apprentice to ask the guy in charge for a bucket of steam or some tartan paint for the Scottish Loco that just arrived.

Now he's in charge of a mixed fleet of diesels and leccy locos which are on their third lease of life due to a careful campaign of 'recycling' i/e buying up every scriptable example and harvesting major spares that are no longer manufactured for refurbishing.

We got to discussing their eventual replacement - as he pointed out one of the problems of buying in locos from US manufacturers is they do't do juicers, and EU manufacturers don't seem to know how to make diesels to the right size,

That said the new class 88s used by DRS do seem to squeeze in, but are prohibitive costly. He described the difference between UK and EU sizes as being 'like sticking an H0 model in front of a 00 one.'

He also pointed out that  their core fleet is actually made up of ex BR leccy locos some of which are over 40 years old and still going strong

We both agreed it is a terrible indictment on the EU, that we can no longer build these fine machines because its procurement rules mean that we were forced to buy from Siemens, Bombardier and Hitachii as they were the least cost suppliers and we're not allowed to favour domestic manufacturers, so they went to the wall.

Maybe now that the Headmistress has announced a leaving date, we might get to see a long-overdue resurgence of the Great British railway engine!

Either way it was a very pleasant chat and he's invited me for a wander around their new loco servicing facility in Crewe -

Somehow I'm sure I'll find the time...

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Fairly unrelated, but with a railway theme, so probably appropriate given our preference for going off topic....

I've been commissioned to write up the award entries for the upcoming FTA Awards which are all about promoting innovation in transport, so have spent this week interviewing lots of very senior people in the transportation industry.

This afternoon I had a most delightful call with the top engineering bloke at one of the rail freight companies. We spent much of our time talking about what they are doing around servicing their fleet of legacy BR  leccy locos - classes 86 and 90, and touched on their diesels

Turns out he was the man i/c  Chart beacon depot when they were bringing in the Eurostars so was in charge of sorting out all their teething troubles. HE got to a very senior role having started out cutting his teeth on the tools as a fitter at Ashford.

We spent some time taking about how they have automated the procurement of parts and stores management and both agreed it's a sadder day now that we can no longer send an apprentice to ask the guy in charge for a bucket of steam or some tartan paint for the Scottish Loco that just arrived.

Now he's in charge of a mixed fleet of diesels and leccy locos which are on their third lease of life due to a careful campaign of 'recycling' i/e buying up every scriptable example and harvesting major spares that are no longer manufactured for refurbishing.

We got to discussing their eventual replacement - as he pointed out one of the problems of buying in locos from US manufacturers is they do't do juicers, and EU manufacturers don't seem to know how to make diesels to the right size,

That said the new class 88s used by DRS do seem to squeeze in, but are prohibitive costly. He described the difference between UK and EU sizes as being 'like sticking an H0 model in front of a 00 one.'

He also pointed out that  their core fleet is actually made up of ex BR leccy locos some of which are over 40 years old and still going strong

We both agreed it is a terrible indictment on the EU, that we can no longer build these fine machines because its procurement rules mean that we were forced to buy from Siemens, Bombardier and Hitachii as they were the least cost suppliers and we're not allowed to favour domestic manufacturers, so they went to the wall.

Maybe now that the Headmistress has announced a leaving date, we might get to see a long-overdue resurgence of the Great British railway engine!

Either way it was a very pleasant chat and he's invited me for a wander around their new loco servicing facility in Crewe -

Somehow I'm sure I'll find the time...

That's a good way to finish a Friday. 

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Would Sir care for a little something for the weekend?

attachicon.gifafe005e7347e67693faf5f0aba4882df--christina-hendricks-red-heads.jpg

Little?????

Oh, you mean her waist...

I thought of something else. The CCE is also a signals  fan and knows loads about wires and interlocking and how to get things to work in a safe way operationally and as prototypically as possible with a trainset. Thus, there could well be a suitable leaver frame going in more or less opposite where the  Junction S. Box was/will be situated. The frame could be creatively placed in a Dairy building; that sounds like a lot of fun.

As for me, I have fettled a final point where the Branch hidden storage siding for the PP Set and loco is situated and it now works correctly and I have identified a Fulgurex to drive it using 2 wires only as the point has a Juicer fitted already. So DCC does just need 2 wires after all. Hoorah.

CCE identified why my west, trailing cross over was not working correctly. I had not cleaned the switch blades correctly after replacing the original cross over; doh!

In conclusion for the time being, it looks as if the set up works OK over extended trial running and importantly the scenic sections look secure and ready to be prepped for initial scenic work/ballast where it won't impede future work. The fiddle also seems to be adequate and operationally OK apart from the addition of some spurs. So there is no excuse now not to get on and make this thing look a bit more like a model of a place rather than some rails on boards.

Phil

Modratec!

• Like 1

We can do a Modratec frame with it's loverly interlocking if desired, Ducky. You'll just need some dexion framing to take the weight of it all...

Now then - stand by for some piccies

post-16151-0-44425100-1510418734_thumb.jpg

My arrival at the nearby mainline railway station coincided most agreeably with the passage of the world's most famous locomotive (probably) pottering southwards.

post-16151-0-25903000-1510418958_thumb.jpg

Up in the elevated surroundings of SJ, it was a delight to see trains running and a well 'stuffed' fiddle yard. The 13 coach 'ACE' was just too much of a temptation and here it is heading back to 'the smoke' with an original bully beef spam thingy in charge. Very nice.

post-16151-0-98153900-1510418988_thumb.jpg

As is tradition, a visiting loco or two accompanied me and here is one of them, gone AWOL from the LMR/ER. A further variation on the 3 cylinder concept (see what we did there - 3 cyl LNER, SR & LMS. Only just realised that as I put this post together)

post-16151-0-47196900-1510419080_thumb.jpg

Here is said fiddle yard full of stock. We had to remove all other locos from the tracks to enable running in DC mode. Ducky is looking suitable befuddled as he contemplates the separation into districts so as to enable a slightly easier conversion for future visits.

There's more 'in the can', but I'm struggling with a piece of video at the moment so please bear with me...

• Like 15

We can do a Modratec frame with it's loverly interlocking if desired, Ducky. You'll just need some dexion framing to take the weight of it all...

attachicon.gifWP_20171110_11_45_52_Pro.jpg

My arrival at the nearby mainline railway station coincided most agreeably with the passage of the world's most famous locomotive (probably) pottering southwards.

attachicon.gifWP_20171110_14_38_23_Pro.jpg

Up in the elevated surroundings of SJ, it was a delight to see trains running and a well 'stuffed' fiddle yard. The 13 coach 'ACE' was just too much of a temptation and here it is heading back to 'the smoke' with an original bully beef spam thingy in charge. Very nice.

attachicon.gifWP_20171110_13_36_00_Pro.jpg

As is tradition, a visiting loco or two accompanied me and here is one of them, gone AWOL from the LMR/ER. A further variation on the 3 cylinder concept (see what we did there - 3 cyl LNER, SR & LMS. Only just realised that as I put this post together)

attachicon.gifWP_20171110_14_05_31_Pro.jpg

Here is said fiddle yard full of stock. We had to remove all other locos from the tracks to enable running in DC mode. Ducky is looking suitable befuddled as he contemplates the separation into districts so as to enable a slightly easier conversion for future visits.

There's more 'in the can', but I'm struggling with a piece of video at the moment so please bear with me...

Nice Pics!

• RMweb Premium

Scotsman is DCC by the way. Great smoke unit.

I do like Jubs. This one is as smooth as a smooth thing on a smooth track. Nicely 'modified' by the CCE. Single chimey good; double chimney ...... weird but, of course, more efficient.

I have a 'soft spot' for them after seeing a pair (DH), leaving Bristol TM for the north on a very heavy train in 1963....quite a sight.

34092 looks quite smart too. That ACE is as one of the four formations  except for the Bulleid BCKs

As for lever frames, I am considering the DCC Concepts'  Cobalt S, however I suspect the cost will be ####### expensive.  Could the CCE have a shufty at the DCC Concepts' Web Site to assess them if he has a moment?

The weird bloke at the back of the Junction is feeding the Hungry Caterpillar (no sniggering).

Anyway, thanks to the CCE for all his time and trickery. he will be assessing some good looking wagons no longer required at The Junction when he next attends.

Duck's Arse

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I thought, his Duckiness was playing with Stubbies caterpillar.

More piccies, please.

• RMweb Premium

More piccies? Well, here is an S15 a long way from home.

attachicon.gifS15 2.JPG

Good to see the sustained progress Phil.

Gilbert, it's friends like you and many others on here that have helped me get this far. I now have a series of tasks to set out to get us through the winter. You will be pleased that one is spurs and cassettes, CCE will be happy if I just stay awake long enough to clear the decks and wire some point motors ready for fitting. 'Sir' will be amazed that my DCC loco's don't catch fire (except for maybe the original Spam) and most soldering of track is complete, plus I will be getting on with kits. Meanwhile the gang on here will be chasing me if I don't get some work done such as sorting the Yard areas that only need basic weathering and continue to post a few pics.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

There's more 'in the can', but I'm struggling with a piece of video at the moment so please bear with me..

Interesting to see 'City of Wells' recognised as 'the world's most famous loco (probably)' - although I always thought that honour actually went to 'City of Truro'.  N.B. in order to be famous it does appear that the engine name has to include the word 'city' but maybe 'King' and 'Castle' are pretty good alternatives as the three would satisfy almost everyone?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see 'City of Wells' recognised as 'the world's most famous loco (probably)' - although I always thought that honour actually went to 'City of Truro'.  N.B. in order to be famous it does appear that the engine name has to include the word 'city' but maybe 'King' and 'Castle' are pretty good alternatives as the three would satisfy almost everyone?

Mike, the CCE was referring to Flying Scotsthing as the 'famous' loco.

City of Wells is just one to which I have fitted a Decoder. Tender and lining layout is wrong for my era really but I don't give a ### at the moment. I suppose I could use it for early years work but even then I think the loco needs relining; I would have to check the archive or Spams' mighty database. 

I think 'we' know about Truro but Jo and Joe Pub~c wouldn't have a clue what that was. 

Good to have you back by the way.

Damn PCs eh!

Phintel Inside

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

More piccies, please.

OK, here's the rest

post-16151-0-24767400-1510521781_thumb.jpg

Last seen on 'Wright writes', Tony's recreation of 4498 in early preservation guise has 'escaped' to the Southern Region. I believe she did a railtour or two 'darn sarf', but I don't think on the WoEML

post-16151-0-89994100-1510521813_thumb.jpg

But we won't let a little detail like that worry us as she plunges into Honiton tunnel

post-16151-0-41555200-1510521838_thumb.jpg

Noticing another streamlined shape peeking above the top of a Pecaboo loco lift, the opportunity was taken to pose the two together at The Junction

Finally, here's the bit of video promised

And to tease you a little further - if you happen to be coming to Warley, I have it on good authority that No.4498 will be running on the 1967 layout...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15