Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Possibly Bournemouth but more likely a footy special.

Phart

Hmm, not so sure about the footy bit as there was suffern green coaches on the service train every other day so it might just bee a booked train (I know cos I occasionally used to travel on it from York to Reading West after stopping with my dad's cousin in York).

BTW I have been having a lard over on the Hornybee new thingy fred but I see Mr Duck is fully alert to such fun & games thereon.

Currently copying pics off the standalone drive to the new 'puting engine - the first bunch are down to the last 3,600.  There are two more big folders to go but I think the first one with 29,000 files is the biggest, I think.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, not so sure about the footy bit as there was suffern green coaches on the service train every other day so it might just bee a booked train (I know cos I occasionally used to travel on it from York to Reading West after stopping with my dad's cousin in York).

BTW I have been having a lard over on the Hornybee new thingy fred but I see Mr Duck is fully alert to such fun & games thereon.

Currently copying pics off the standalone drive to the new 'puting engine - the first bunch are down to the last 3,600.  There are two more big folders to go but I think the first one with 29,000 files is the biggest, I think.

Was it a Bournemouth service then Mike? Via Woodford Halse or similar?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Was it a Bournemouth service then Mike? Via Woodford Halse or similar?

Phil

Probably the York - Bournemouth I would think Phil.   Ran via Sheffield Victoria and reverse then up the GC to Woodford Halse, across to Banbury thence via Oxford, Reading West Curve (aka Oxford Road Curve), Basingstoke and the L&SWR branch to Bomo.  In its final years it was worked by a Darnall allocated EE Type 3 from Sheffield Vic to Banbury and changed engines again at Oxford.  But the engine working and changeover moved all over the shop over the years - at one time the Western engine came on at Leicester but still off at Oxford and I think if we go even further back in steam days the Eastern engine had worked through to Banbury.  Southern engines didn't normally seem to go north of Oxford although occasionally they got through to Banbury.

Oddly it was route we used when I was a little lad to get to York as it was cheaper going that way than via London, it wasn't until I was about 9 years old than we actually travelled over the main line from York to Kings Cross but then oddly in its final years when I was occasionally visiting relatives in York on my own I went back to using the GC route but only southbound.  It did however by then take considerably longer than going via London - and it still does although the modern Cross-Country equivalent (which obviously can't use the GC and comes via the pink railway) can make a nice change from the dash up the ECML.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Probably the York - Bournemouth I would think Phil.   Ran via Sheffield Victoria and reverse then up the GC to Woodford Halse, across to Banbury thence via Oxford, Reading West Curve (aka Oxford Road Curve), Basingstoke and the L&SWR branch to Bomo.  In its final years it was worked by a Darnall allocated EE Type 3 from Sheffield Vic to Banbury and changed engines again at Oxford.  But the engine working and changeover moved all over the shop over the years - at one time the Western engine came on at Leicester but still off at Oxford and I think if we go even further back in steam days the Eastern engine had worked through to Banbury.  Southern engines didn't normally seem to go north of Oxford although occasionally they got through to Banbury.

Oddly it was route we used when I was a little lad to get to York as it was cheaper going that way than via London, it wasn't until I was about 9 years old than we actually travelled over the main line from York to Kings Cross but then oddly in its final years when I was occasionally visiting relatives in York on my own I went back to using the GC route but only southbound.  It did however by then take considerably longer than going via London - and it still does although the modern Cross-Country equivalent (which obviously can't use the GC and comes via the pink railway) can make a nice change from the dash up the ECML.

Thanks Mike. An interesting route that would have been. The Oxford engine change was quite famous I believe for SR loco's bringing some variety. There is still a service from Newcastle to Borno I think (X Country is it?) but more stop at Reading now IIRC?

Were there also York Borno's via Sheffield, Brum and Bath (Green Park for the S & DJR) or was that just Summer TT extras?

Phil 

Phil

• RMweb Premium

"It's modelling Jim, but not as we know it!"

Yesterday I located my Pecoboo Concrete Platform sections (several straight, front pieces and a couple of slope/front end pieces). I now have a posh but empty Buffers Model Shop fabric bag and the pieces are on the board top station area pile of rubbish. The bag may be put to use tomorrow?

I also tried to find a couple of Hornby Maunsell (unmodified) Open Seconds (green) for sale but lo, they seem to have disappeared, apart from a few at almost £50 + postage; pah!

If anyone knows of a source at a reasonable price I would be grateful thank you.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

You'll be wanting your station building footprint then soon. Must get my finger out.

Am currently investigating MERG servo kits.

let us know how you get on with the servo's Stu I'm looking for something to operate my Ratio signals. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. An interesting route that would have been. The Oxford engine change was quite famous I believe for SR loco's bringing some variety. There is still a service from Newcastle to Borno I think (X Country is it?) but more stop at Reading now IIRC?

Were there also York Borno's via Sheffield, Brum and Bath (Green Park for the S & DJR) or was that just Summer TT extras?

Phil 

Phil

There were a right variety of such workings over the years and of course some moved to other routes after the S&D closed.  Current day Cross Country services for the Southern all seem to come via Reading and call at the main station where they reverse and part of that is  a Reading - Newcastle service which can be quite handy if you wish to avoid trolling across London.

• RMweb Gold

You'll be wanting your station building footprint then soon. Must get my finger out.

Am currently investigating MERG servo kits.

So they will be moving buildings, then?

(Or perhaps they will just gently vibrate in an air of muted excitement).

Edited by Captain Kernow