SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Now then, special equipment alert.

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.net/228673/4076215/ROD%20release%202.pdf  this looks seriously good .

P

Really?

Really?

That's all well and good and good luck to them and all who sail in them, but, really? And for that price?

I mean, it's not as if my own hair shirt isn't hairy enough.

• RMweb Premium

Now then, special equipment alert.

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.net/228673/4076215/ROD%20release%202.pdf  this looks seriously good .

P

So when do your gang of helpers come and get it working for you. I have my tool kit ready......hammer big, check, hammer, small, check.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Let us know how you get on with it .... 

Not yet by a long way. I shall have seen all the blood letting on here before I get anywhere near it (say, 2020?)

What is good is that it comes as parts not just as a kit so I could use parts if they were suitable.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really?

Really?

That's all well and good and good luck to them and all who sail in them, but, really? And for that price?

I mean, it's not as if my own hair shirt isn't hairy enough.

Ah but, yes but, look here, it is nice to dream. :onthequiet:

A. Rod. (who is also a Crank :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

So when do your gang of helpers come and get it working for you. I have my tool kit ready......hammer big, check, hammer, small, check.....

See post 15830, however thank you for your enthusiasm. I have to get the paper-mash stuff down the Station middle bits done first and I'm having problems with me teeth from all the chewing of the old paper.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

post-2326-0-22848100-1537433364_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-97062100-1537433938_thumb.jpg

This is where the parts will be most useful as they are prominent, especially from the Box.

The long rod runs can easily be brass wire.

I might not be fussed about stuff like Dingham Couplings, but I do want a good rodding session. :O

Pecoboo have also just brought out a product that will help with the Running in Board(s) as seen in the first pic.

• Like 4

There were indeed Ian and some of them used to take their "Travelling Secretaries" as well. No names, no pack drill.

In the role you are alluding to, many meetings took place either at Essex House or Southern House of course. A former ASM at BTON always had a cheese and tomato toastie and a gin-and-tonic on his way back to the Coast afterwards.

Midland Hotel, Derby and Crewe Arms Hotel, Crewe - 'the Officers' Mess' - favourite venues for us more northern chaps. And an honourable mention for the Brunswick in Derby, albeit not so much for meetings as after work 'relaxation'. Still going strong, with its micro-brewery. Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is where the parts will be most useful as they are prominent, especially from the Box.

The long rod runs can easily be brass wire.

Exactly, brass wire is your friend in this regard.

Model Signal Engineering (aka Wizard) do a nice whitemetal rodding stool, which can be adjusted in length, which is a very good compromise in terms of appearance and ease of installation as compared with very scratchy hair shirt alternatives to make the stuff actually work.

It's all very nice and those who can make it are very, very clever, but I class working point rodding in 4mm scale in the same category as working inside motion on a steam loco.

I think I'd rather have a cream tea.

• RMweb Gold

It's all very nice and those who can make it are very, very clever, but I class working point rodding in 4mm scale in the same category as working inside motion on a steam loco.

But won't the jam make a mess of the layout?

• RMweb Premium

Exactly, brass wire is your friend in this regard.

Model Signal Engineering (aka Wizard) do a nice whitemetal rodding stool, which can be adjusted in length, which is a very good compromise in terms of appearance and ease of installation as compared with very scratchy hair shirt alternatives to make the stuff actually work.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137687-dcc-concepts-working-point-rodding/

..........and so the polite discussion begins................................... :triniti:

Adjustable stools eh? At my convenience no doubt?

Thanks for the Wizard tip by the way....hadn't seen that.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Working point rodding is a clever idea, but if you invest in it, you'll want to show it off. Sticking it on your own home layout is not really getting the best from it (unless you go for the modratec option and make the levers really work the points).

But putting it on an exhibition (portable) layout is just inviting disaster (if it's the only point operating system in use) - being shaken around on the journey to the show, crossing baseboard joints - not a clever idea (IMHO). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the Wizard tip by the way....hadn't seen that.

Happy to tell you more about how 4mm point rodding is done in Kernow Towers, old bean.

One further tip, though, try to install it before you do the scenery and certainly before you ballast the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Working point rodding is a clever idea, but if you invest in it, you'll want to show it off. Sticking it on your own home layout is not really getting the best from it (unless you go for the modratec option and make the levers really work the points).

But putting it on an exhibition (portable) layout is just inviting disaster (if it's the only point operating system in use) - being shaken around on the journey to the show, crossing baseboard joints - not a clever idea (IMHO). 

I completely agree with this, Stu.

It's simply 'more to go wrong' on any layout, but especially any exhibition layout, no matter how careful you are, even if it's not the main method of operating the points. It seems a little 'gimmicky' if I'm honest.

Working, walking 4mm figures would, however, be something to write home about.

• RMweb Premium

Happy to tell you more about how 4mm point rodding is done in Kernow Towers, old bean.

One further tip, though, try to install it before you do the scenery and certainly before you ballast the layout.

Ah, there be a tip and I knew I hadn't done any ballasting for a good reason.

Couple of pics re the Towers system would be very much appreciated and not just by me I am sure.

Thanks a bundle dear heart.

P

• RMweb Gold

Couple of pics re the Towers system would be very much appreciated and not just by me I am sure.

To be honest, I've only ever installed point rodding on two layouts - 'Bleakhouse Road' and 'Callow Lane' and I didn't document the former. However, I installed it once the scenery and ballasting had been completed and realised that next time, I should do it before the ballasting was started, certainly when it came to planting the rodding stools.

So the best thing is probably refer the Honourable Gentleman to my blog entries of a few years ago - 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-1204-callow-lane-point-rodding/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-4578-callow-lane-point-rodding-almost-completed/

• RMweb Premium

post-16423-0-73315400-1537439049_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-10274500-1537439093_thumb.jpg

I agree with Stu and Tim, whilst working point rodding seems a great idea it becomes harder to use with a portable layout, it adds to the things that can go wrong. having correctly laid out non working point rodding is visually better than nothing. I was using the Wills stuff on Sheffield Exchange Mk1, all runs checked by Mike Stationmaster before I started to lay them. Even in its very raw state it gave a better railway like impression than you see on many well known and supposedly good layouts without rodding. 

For Exchange Mk 2 I have a pile of these to make.

post-16423-0-27025300-1537439612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif035.JPG

attachicon.gif044.JPG

I agree with Stu and Tim, whilst working point rodding seems a great idea it becomes harder to use with a portable layout, it adds to the things that can go wrong. having correctly laid out non working point rodding is visually better than nothing. I was using the Wills stuff on Sheffield Exchange Mk1, all runs checked by Mike Stationmaster before I started to lay them. Even in its very raw state it gave a better railway like impression than you see on many well known and supposedly good layouts without rodding. 

For Exchange Mk 2 I have a pile of these to make.

attachicon.gifpm6.jpg

For Exchange Mk2, look at what Simon Paley (of this parish) is doing with 3D stuff from Shapeways.

• RMweb Premium

Midland Hotel, Derby and Crewe Arms Hotel, Crewe - 'the Officers' Mess' - favourite venues for us more northern chaps. And an honourable mention for the Brunswick in Derby, albeit not so much for meetings as after work 'relaxation'. Still going strong, with its micro-brewery.

Well, I don't want to turn Phil's thread into a version of Tripadvisor (other hotel review sites are available) but I have to agree with you regarding the Midland. Funnily enough I never stayed at the Crewe Arms.

The Royal Station at York was consistently good as were the Caledonian and North British in Edinburgh, no doubt partly because of the enduring West/East Coast rivalry.

• Like 1