SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

These are the ones I was shaping a few days back, using my modified bender (no sniggering). 

A wonderful turn of phrase. If no sniggering , are we permitted a stifled chuckle ? ^_^

There is a nice article on the Exmuff branch in Steam World  January 2006, but it’s all in Summer 1960 so doesn’t help your Standard Class 2 query but good pictures and even mentions a Western Region pannier tank on the 9.22 Exeter - Exmouth each day.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ducky

As mentioned we are in Oz and it is reet chuckinitdarn ...hopefully it will dry out before our return to 5he UK. 

As it happens our house sitter has let us know that our new duck pond is full and ready for visitors!

Baz

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ducky

As mentioned we are in Oz and it is reet chuckinitdarn ...hopefully it will dry out before our return to 5he UK. 

As it happens our house sitter has let us know that our new duck pond is full and ready for visitors!

Baz

There are some very big new 'ponds' in many parts of Yorkshire that don't need 'ponds'. 

15 hours ago, jazzer said:

A wonderful turn of phrase. If no sniggering , are we permitted a stifled chuckle ? ^_^

There is a nice article on the Exmuff branch in Steam World  January 2006, but it’s all in Summer 1960 so doesn’t help your Standard Class 2 query but good pictures and even mentions a Western Region pannier tank on the 9.22 Exeter - Exmouth each day.

Wonder if that was 4666?

15 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

ShedbashUK has plenty of sightings at Exmouth Junction from 1953 onwatds.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2016/10/exmouth-junction-1945-1965.html?m=1

That's interesting as 10/09/61 was almost transfer day (16/09/61) for the 2s, but proves they were there. Great site that I have never seen before. Thank you very much TSE.

Ref the D2666 Buffet; needs a little more drilling including one door (bottom side, right hand door)  without guide holes; photo evidence and Diagrams from Mr. King (The Master).

Checked the D2659s. I could use three, but there was only 4 in that style! Thus I will have one set of sides spare if anyone fancies them before they go on some Auction Site.

CBA to do any more tonight.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Conservatory Virus is catching.  Light Sauna conditions out there and it is lovely.

Upgraded Gerbil Fritters donations with LMS Buffers B003 and/or B004. 

20200304_105116.jpg.714f88174e173065a0cb3d6cd2b3db96.jpg

The Open has new buffers at the other end as well, the other three I just replaced one end as I am a tight arse.

A few little repairs here and there as well but some further items fort SJ sidings in the future.

Next to find my 'Links', but before that, yesterday I mended SWMBO's Allotment shed window (yes, I broke the self-confinement despite someone we know having been tested for 'that thingy' after visiting somewhere far away [Glasgow] thank goodness) and so I have enough 'points' to continue faffing with Maunsells today.

There may be soldering again; good move as 'that thingy' does not like high temperatures we are told.

Enough for now.

P

(No idea why the coach sides pic is also available with this picture)..sorry.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jazzer said:

Ah, that naughty Pannier got around a bit. 4666 was the last one I saw at 72A/83D in 1965/66(?) when a Castle Visited from St David's on a Special and 3205 and 1450 (was it?) were handed over to the heritage boys at Dart Valley or whatever it was called back then?

Happy days but rather sad in a way as well.

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Re. the Standard 2 tanks at 72A. They didn't stay long as most of them were knackered and probably wouldn't have lasted a whole week out-based at Lyme Regis without fitters on hand.

I gather the message went out to (by then, presumably) Swindon "take them away or we'll condemn the lot." I think they then got a mixed bag of "proper" LMS 2MTs and a couple more 8750s in exchange.

I do have a note somewhere of which of the Standards did make it on to the branch, but "somewhere" in this case means Lord knows where.:triniti:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Re. the Standard 2 tanks at 72A. They didn't stay long as most of them were knackered and probably wouldn't have lasted a whole week out-based at Lyme Regis without fitters on hand.

Must have had a good thrashing on the SED as they were only about four years old. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Smashing!

Some others were sound and just need a check over and maybe 3link coupling check? Others need building of course and I have found my remaining Liquid Poly supply.:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Must have had a good thrashing on the SED as they were only about four years old. 

Yup, 84020 - 22 @ 3/57 and 84023 @ 4/57. so only 4 years old at 72A. Probably never went into works before transfer unless they were trashed by Ashford? The first 3 went to Llandudno J'n and 84023 to Lancaster Green Ayre/ Widnes. 20 never went to works but the other 3 were in Crewe in 62 and then withdrawn in 64! What a useless waste of resource/money eh? They were redundant before they were built (almost).

P

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I gather the message went out to (by then, presumably) Swindon "take them away or we'll condemn the lot." I think they then got a mixed bag of "proper" LMS 2MTs and a couple more 8750s in exchange.

I do have a note somewhere of which of the Standards did make it on to the branch, but "somewhere" in this case means Lord knows where.:triniti:

John

Swindon not guilty this time I don't think as it was  the end of 1961 and 'that lot' didn't barge in until 63.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Watching Sheffield Wednesday on telly. Reckon it might be their day.

I have a new job as a driver. In my travels i am becoming concerned about the level of equine criminality. There seem to be horse trials everywhere at the moment...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

I suppose the Ivatts were spare after the intro of the Bog Carts oop north and the Panniers spare from Welsh Wales or when Gronks appeared? I have noted the presence of a couple of Gronks actually at Exmuuf Jn (by then 83D); possibly because St. David's was almost derelict? Never saw one there but the I only went once after 1963.

P

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Watching Sheffield Wednesday on telly. Reckon it might be their day.

I have a new job as a driver. In my travels i am becoming concerned about the level of equine criminality. There seem to be horse trials everywhere at the moment...

More expensive than Sheep Dog Trials I am told. Poo left in the Court Room is more useful from the Horses.

P

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Enthused by the smell of Flux, I decided to sort the Maunsell D2659 sides this morning. I proceeded as is usual with these sides and prepped them (tinned the relevant surfaces) and soldered them carefully using the 'half etch' vertical guidelines for the door 'overlaps' as I had with the D2666s. With the two D2666s this resulted in perfect fits on the King Drawings in my book.

20200305_144111.jpg.5d2a3409009b918a3605390ec5653fc9.jpg

When I had done the 2659s that have 4 pieces per side, I realised that the two sides were actually different lengths, despite using exactly the same soldering guidelines for the doors on both! I actually put each door next to its equivalent on the other side and they were identically spaced. No idea what was going on there!

One side was actually 6mm too short, and the other 4mm too short when placed on the drawings. They are both etched too short if compared to the window/droplight positions in KIng, and/or the guidelines on the Double Doors (see the pics) have the half etch vertical guidelines for soldering being inaccurately positioned. 

So, unsoldering the Double Door etches took place after a bit of swearing; fortunately this was completed without any damage occurring to me or the sides (bit of luck and good, hot iron and a good blob of Flux).

I then laid the side parts on the drawings, adjusting the Double Door positions and scribed new vertical guidelines as there was enough overlap thank goodness. With a bit more prepping I then tack sweat soldered the doors, checking the lengths. Perfect thank goodness. Completed the soldering and checked again. Still fine.

As far as I can remember this is the first time I have had a problem with Mousa sides regarding dimensional inaccuracy, as I have done a few Gresleys in the past IIRC.

Moral of story?  If doing this sort of job, have a scale drawing and check the 'accuracy' of the parts, with the drawing, before starting! Shouldn't have to, but...…...

I'm now too brain dead to be arsed to check the sides against the drawings and pics to check the door and handle positions for accuracy. Laters for that. 

When the things are on the donor coach and painted, unless some arse gets out their micrometer and binoculars, then the fraction of mms inaccuracy of certain apertures will not be at all noticeable.

Yo

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Well EWD, that is worth remembering as I have just checked for 'andle hole accuracy and one set is on the wrong door; bottom side, holes in double doors for  grab 'andle should be in the right hand door; they are now!

image.png.67af8d490687dadc99b890acaea22cfa.png

Fortunately all others appear to be correct. Tomorrow I may drill the 'inge 'oles.

Oh, the top side is the one that was the shortest; you may just be able to see the 'wider' gap between the doors and left and right side parts. The end doors were OK.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Dear Mr Duck

A question if I may?

Are you using a Triang green isolation switch or are using an old GPO/WW2 toggle switch for your "self isolation"?

I need to know as we will be  back home soon and you never know..might just need it myself

Baz

Almost finished my walkabout 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Enthused by the smell of Flux, I decided to sort the Maunsell D2659 sides this morning. I proceeded as is usual with these sides and prepped them (tinned the relevant surfaces) and soldered them carefully using the 'half etch' vertical guidelines for the door 'overlaps' as I had with the D2666s. With the two D2666s this resulted in perfect fits on the King Drawings in my book.

20200305_144111.jpg.5d2a3409009b918a3605390ec5653fc9.jpg

When I had done the 2659s that have 4 pieces per side, I realised that the two sides were actually different lengths, despite using exactly the same soldering guidelines for the doors on both! I actually put each door next to its equivalent on the other side and they were identically spaced. No idea what was going on there!

One side was actually 6mm too short, and the other 4mm too short when placed on the drawings. They are both etched too short if compared to the window/droplight positions in KIng, and/or the guidelines on the Double Doors (see the pics) have the half etch vertical guidelines for soldering being inaccurately positioned. 

So, unsoldering the Double Door etches took place after a bit of swearing; fortunately this was completed without any damage occurring to me or the sides (bit of luck and good, hot iron and a good blob of Flux).

I then laid the side parts on the drawings, adjusting the Double Door positions and scribed new vertical guidelines as there was enough overlap thank goodness. With a bit more prepping I then tack sweat soldered the doors, checking the lengths. Perfect thank goodness. Completed the soldering and checked again. Still fine.

As far as I can remember this is the first time I have had a problem with Mousa sides regarding dimensional inaccuracy, as I have done a few Gresleys in the past IIRC.

Moral of story?  If doing this sort of job, have a scale drawing and check the 'accuracy' of the parts, with the drawing, before starting! Shouldn't have to, but...…...

I'm now too brain dead to be arsed to check the sides against the drawings and pics to check the door and handle positions for accuracy. Laters for that. 

When the things are on the donor coach and painted, unless some arse gets out their micrometer and binoculars, then the fraction of mms inaccuracy of certain apertures will not be at all noticeable.

Yo

Hi Phil

It is also worth checking the drawing is to scale. I had two copies of the LMS artic excursion coaches. When cutting and shutting some Dapol LMS coaches to make them, nothing seemed to be going right....one drawing was over size by a bit and the other a tad under size.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Barry O said:

Dear Mr Duck

A question if I may?

Are you using a Triang green isolation switch or are using an old GPO/WW2 toggle switch for your "self isolation"?

I need to know as we will be  back home soon and you never know..might just need it myself

Baz

finished my walkabout......almost

That rather nightmarish vison of yourself and a swimming pond in the outback will remain with me for a few hours.

Luckily I am DCC Baz, thus I do not need a Hornby Dublo Yellow Switch or the above mentioned Green thing. I just pull out the two wires and that shuts off my Pacemaker.

What was the Question matey, my memory has deteriorated?

A. Pollytitian.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Phil

It is also worth checking the drawing is to scale. I had two copies of the LMS artic excursion coaches. When cutting and shutting some Dapol LMS coaches to make them, nothing seemed to be going right....one drawing was over size by a bit and the other a tad under size.

Ta Clive, I had forgotten to mention that I am using some Kirk Maunsell D2651 Sides (single use Plastic at the moment) to use as a guide as well. Yup, you are correct but I have found Mr Kings' drawings and the Isinglass ones even more so, to be damn good.

Off to get some Corona lemonade now as that has been discovered as the antidote to Kit Building (on FB so it must be true.)

Arse

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1