Recreating the Brake van specials of the 60's today

dana

Bickershaw Junction, Michael, according to the back of the print. I have got some on the GC line at Lower Ince and Darlington Street. If you're interested, drop me a pm.

Id like to see more shots, yes please, Id also like that shot I mentioned if anyone has a higher res copy.

to me it looks like the train is on the line to Wigan central with the line in the background the Wigan wallgate avoiding line and the one closer with wagons parked on it the Springs branch?

I'll sort through them, Michael, and send you copies, but I do need an e-mail address: some of the photographs are copyrighted so I cannot put them on here. As I have the original prints, higher resolution isn't an issue.

I have to admit that the given location has always given me doubts - and I live only about a mile away from Bickershaw Junction! The only place I could set it was the west to south curve towards Bickershaw Colliery. The engine was definitely chimney first leaving Darlington Street. Unfortunately, the photographer didn't know the area too well: several shots labelled Roundhouse Junction were at Rose Bridge. On which note,does the Whelley Line interest you?

It depends upon the safety case of the individual railway company/society as to whether it contains carrying an allowance for passengers on piped/unfitted vehicles or not.  The actual mechanics of stopping people falling out are then down to the person responsible for carrying out a risk assessment as to what measure they feel they wish to take to reduce the risk of an accident.  That may include making passengers remain seated in the cabin, adding gates, carrying stewards etc as that person deems fit.

Pretty sure that if a  vehicle is being used for conveyance of passengers it has to be fitted with automatic brakes be it air or vacuum.

Pretty sure that if a  vehicle is being used for conveyance of passengers it has to be fitted with automatic brakes be it air or vacuum.

Not if the railway in question has it within it's safety case for carrying a limited number of passengers in unfitted vehicles subject to a risk assessment being carried out.  If you go and read post 7 you will see the key phrase about having to get out whilst the train was shunted because the loco was unfitted.  I'm fairly sure one of those brakevans at Shildon is only a blow through.  Heavens I went on a photo charter at Butterley 2 years back and rode in a brakevan that was piped only.

So yes, you can do it if the railway company in question has the right paperwork, as a member of staff at Butterley you should be now have received a safety management system briefing as outlined in YOUR railways safety case, so you should be aware of who to speak to should you want clarification of how modern health and safety law is applied to the preservation industry.  I would recommend that you do as its actually quite interesting.

As Hesperus says, you can have a little ride in a brake van at Shildon & if you're lucky, it'll even have some proper modern traction on the end... ;)

attachicon.gifD2090 - Locomotion, Shildon, 9th October 2011.jpg

They managed to top that at the Great Goodbye event- we had Union of South Africa yesterday.

They had strengthened the brakevan rake with a Southern Queen Mary though, which obviously justified the extra motive power...

• RMweb Gold

It depends upon the safety case of the individual railway company/society as to whether it contains carrying an allowance for passengers on piped/unfitted vehicles or not.  The actual mechanics of stopping people falling out are then down to the person responsible for carrying out a risk assessment as to what measure they feel they wish to take to reduce the risk of an accident.  That may include making passengers remain seated in the cabin, adding gates, carrying stewards etc as that person deems fit.

Not exactly.  Firstly the Railway must have in place a Safety Management System (SMS) and as part of that SMS it will also have in place various procedures including Rules & Regulations for the conduct of its operations.  If its operations including something out of the norm - such as conveying passengers in brakevans - then it will either have to be covered in its R&R or a Special Instruction would need to be prepared for specific events, or variation from the operational norm and it would be framed taking into account a risk assessment which would be carried out first.

As far as I am aware there is no longer a strict legal requirement to carry passengers in a vehicle fitted with a continuous brake however even the simplest of risk assessments would indicate that such an arrangement would be the best way to do the job in order to minimise braking shocks etc - equally things such as the use of doors instead of a simple bar and control of the continuous brake from the leading vehicle when propelling and, probably some form of communication between the leading vehicle and the loco, as well as the things you have mentioned, would all be matters addressed in/resulting from the risk assessment.  The results would then be translated into suitable methods plus (written) Instructions for those who would undertake the task and - in accordance with the SMS - they would need to be trained and suitably qualified to carry it out.

Provided you can produce a risk assessment which keeps the risk potential as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP) and can write, and train in, suitable Instructions there is nothing to prevent a Railway (other than a national network licence holder) doing this sort of thing.  A national network licence holder could do it if the terms of their operating licence so permitted (again subject to risk assessment etc) but I doubt if any of them have such provision in their licence.  As far as a heritage/leisure type railway is concerned there is nothing at all preventing them from deciding to operate a 'brakevan special', or even conveying passengers in open wagons, provided they go through proper procedures to establish that they can do so safely, can produce suitable methods and Instructions, and can train and qualify their staff accordingly (the term 'staff' in this context includes volunteers of course).

From an earlier post I think the open goods van tour in the Scotland DVD was probably the one to Garlieston in the early 60's from memory.

Just as aside not all tours has comfortable accommodation!

This is Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering in Govan Glasgow. The companies locomotive had permission to haul wagons between the local goods station and the shipyard using the tram tracks. 

post-16796-0-89932100-1393179964.jpeg

post-16796-0-02666000-1393179973.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Stanier Crab 2968 has been involved in two brake van tours, one when in BR service on 13th August 1966 and the other on the Severn Valley Railway on 14th March 1992. There have been ideas about repeating this, but we aren't sure what the H&S situation would be.

42968BickershawJctBrianTaylor.jpg

RG309.jpg

Photos by Brian Taylor and Richard Greaves.

THE Health and Safety Act came in 1975 and that was the one that b#ggered up everything. I was in the Fire Service at the time and we were told to stop live carry-downs. (Down a ladder with a colleague over your shoulder) Everything went pear-shaped after that. :( lol

Hal

• RMweb Premium

As this thread has been revived I thought I would note that the NVR are, once again, running brake van rides on the weekend of 21st & 22nd February during their 35A New England weekend. They will run from Wansford only. Motive power will be Ring Haw or Austerity no22. I suspect they will run out to Yarwell Junction. It appears that Ring Haw is to be used in place of Thomas for at least part of this year as the latter was out of ticket wef January 2014.

Archived