Recreating the Brake van specials of the 60's today

dana

I have seen pics of the Brake van specials of the SLS and The REC during the 60's as branches were closing and intrested parties hired small locos and Brake vans  if coaches couldnt go through the right away And wondered what the requirements would be to recreate those today ?

In LSWR Van post about the van in Portsmouth some pointed it out that basicly all it was good for  was parts to restore similar vans on heritage railways and  others posted  that freight vans  take  up space and are only good for  films and  photo op's 

I realize that if such a thing was created between two stations on a heritage line that i probly couldnt hang on to the running boards like the rail fans of 50 years ago but it would be neat to at least  ride one for a couple of miles  between stations 

Thanks  for the pic , a railway I have to visit then.  I presume the conductor is talking into a walkie talkie  to give info to the engine crew 

From what I remember he didn't have one but he might have been doing that. It's well worth a visit and I'm going to be doing some volunteering there

post-19141-0-06745500-1390987704_thumb.jpg

Stanier Crab 2968 has been involved in two brake van tours, one when in BR service on 13th August 1966 and the other on the Severn Valley Railway on 14th March 1992. There have been ideas about repeating this, but we aren't sure what the H&S situation would be.

42968BickershawJctBrianTaylor.jpg

RG309.jpg

Photos by Brian Taylor and Richard Greaves.

• RMweb Premium

I have seen pics of the Brake van specials of the SLS and The REC during the 60's as branches were closing and intrested parties hired small locos and Brake vans  if coaches couldnt go through the right away And wondered what the requirements would be to recreate those today ?

In LSWR Van post about the van in Portsmouth some pointed it out that basicly all it was good for  was parts to restore similar vans on heritage railways and  others posted  that freight vans  take  up space and are only good for  films and  photo op's 

I realize that if such a thing was created between two stations on a heritage line that i probly couldnt hang on to the running boards like the rail fans of 50 years ago but it would be neat to at least  ride one for a couple of miles  between stations

I rode on one a few years back at one of the Steel Steam and Stars events at the Llangollen Railway.

It was quite an experience especially the tunnel!

CONDUCTOR !!!!Are we now in america. This is the UK, GUARD please !!!!

Sure he's a Conductor.... he's on a Caboose isn't he..???

Ah, no, he isn't..... :rolleyes: :blush:

Seriously though - would a lack of Brake Van Specials these days, even on Heritage Lines,

also have something to do with a lack of Brake Vans? Probably most Heritage lines could scrape together two, maybe three, but half-a-dozen or more...??

As a youngster, I travelled on an SLS tour of the Cromford & High Peak railway, in a brake van, hauled by a J94 - two of which provided the motive power for the line. Great fun! I can't see what the risks could be now, but there's no accounting for some of the silliness of some of the public nowadays.

Edited to make sense.

The Llangollen railway has brake van rides up and down Llangollen station platform on Thomas the tank engine days. The East lancs railway has a ride from Bury to the engine shed in 12t vans with the top of the sides and ends removed which are kind of similar to riding in brake vans on its Thomas days.

1967 railtour..

7528124538_82de001bfb_b.jpg

This is the UK as said above and we do NOT have Conductors. The Guard is in charge of the train and the Travelling Ticket Inspector / Travelling Ticket Collector / Revenue Protection Inspector / Revenue Collection Inspector depending on which Preserved line or TOC you are on checks the tickets and looks out for those trying to not pay! 

And on those TOCs where all those jobs are done by the same person, they're Conductors.

https://firstgroup.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_details.php?reqid=9435&site_id=148

I've been on the Appleby - Frodingham trip a couple of times but my first experience of this type of trip was at Corby in 1980 when BSC ran one to commemorate the end of ironstone quarrying. I believe there was a decree that the train required vac braked stock and for some reason brake vans were not used (perhaps not enough fitted vans could be obtained, most were piped). Instead, a raid on the tube works sidings procured a train of fitted tube wagons. I'm not certain but I don't think there was a brake van in the consist, the motive power was top and tailed class 14s. The tube wagons had been treated to a cursory sweep and seating provided on a mix of chairs from the redundant offices and I seem to remember some with straw bales. Thankfully it was a sunny day.

Sadly I don't have any pictures taken on the tour but there were one or two on Flickr at one time.

The NRM sometimes runs a shuttle train with a small steam engine and brakevan from the former goods shed in the town a few hundred yards to the museum.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/VisitShildon/museumareas/goods.aspx

As Hesperus says, you can have a little ride in a brake van at Shildon & if you're lucky, it'll even have some proper modern traction on the end... ;)

post-6843-0-23619500-1392025196.jpg

As far as I know, for carrying passengers on brake vans they have to be vacuum or air braked and have shutting doors on the verandas NOT just the metal bar latches. Propelling with brake vans with passengers on is ok as long as the guard has access to the jigger to apply the emergency brake. 

As far as I know, for carrying passengers on brake vans they have to be vacuum or air braked and have shutting doors on the verandas NOT just the metal bar latches. Propelling with brake vans with passengers on is ok as long as the guard has access to the jigger to apply the emergency brake. 

It depends upon the safety case of the individual railway company/society as to whether it contains carrying an allowance for passengers on piped/unfitted vehicles or not.  The actual mechanics of stopping people falling out are then down to the person responsible for carrying out a risk assessment as to what measure they feel they wish to take to reduce the risk of an accident.  That may include making passengers remain seated in the cabin, adding gates, carrying stewards etc as that person deems fit.

Archived