Mystery location in "the north"

I think it's Hellifield, the double track in the foreground being the line from Clitheroe etc.?

No, not there either.

It is on the Northern Rail network. The rocks in the foreground *might* help a bit if you're a geologist.

Rocks eh? Well if it's red sandstone, which being that weathered and moss covered it could just as easily be Double Gloucester, it would suggest it's somewhere in Lancashire? So i'll take a pop at Preston seeing as it's not Mersey rail stock

• RMweb Premium

No, not Preston, and I don't think it's red sandstone (or Double Gloucester - cracking cheese, Gromit)

OK I'll try somewhere west of Donny in the Rotherhamish area?

Alternatively it could be the junction just west of Worksop where the goods line to Donny goes north from the Sheffield Lincoln line (on which the smelly bog cart is spluttering)?

36E

OK I'll try somewhere west of Donny in the Rotherhamish area?

Alternatively it could be the junction just west of Worksop where the goods line to Donny goes north from the Sheffield Lincoln line (on which the smelly bog cart is spluttering)?

36E

Spot on for the "alternatively" answer. Award yourself a piece of cheese.

The train is between Kiveton Park and Shireoaks, with the line to Maltby colliery and Doncaster in the foreground. Taken from a bridge called Lindrick Dale bridge.

So, north, as in just inside S Yorkshire, and north, as in Northern Rail territory.

By bog cart I presume you mean the sleek 158 on a Lincoln service?

The rock is (correct me if I'm wrong) magnesian limestone, as used for building the Palace of Westminster.

• RMweb Premium

The train is between Kiveton Park and Shireoaks, with the line to Maltby colliery and Doncaster in the foreground. Taken from a bridge called Lindrick Dale bridge.

So, north, as in just inside S Yorkshire, and north, as in Northern Rail territory.

The rock is (correct me if I'm wrong) magnesian limestone, as used for building the Palace of Westminster.

I have meant to visit this little bridge and now I'll have to as it would be good to sniff a 'shed' bustling up to Donny (or groaning down from Donny - if anything does groan when it has to leave Donny?)

The 'sleek 158'? Uuuuuum, not sure I would be that complimentary!B)

I have just eaten the cheese by the way.

I do like these where is it posts but our usual culprit The 'Cap'n seems to have been made redundant and hasn't done one for ages. Maybe I'll get out and about and try my luck? It never fails to amaze me that, however obscure the location, someone on here has been there, slept there, lived there, had a beer there or spotted there at some time (or all of those at once); incredible! :huh:

I have meant to visit this little bridge and now I'll have to as it would be good to sniff a 'shed' bustling up to Donny (or groaning down from Donny - if anything does groan when it has to leave Donny?)

well as it happened, there were two loaded coal trains south on that line on a Saturday morning, between about 1030 and 12-ish. I struck lucky with the second one, which followed the Lincoln train past the junction. Took the mystery photo and was packing up, when I heard a train behind me. The view north from that bridge isn't spectacular, overhanging trees in a cutting. I'll post the other photo when I get back to the computer that it's on if you like.

I was looking round the rocky wooded cutting east of Anston, N of the A57 road, but it's well-nigh impossible to get a photographable view there, even with the trees all bare. There's a foot crossing near the Anston end, but you're out of the cutting there.

There's also some good triple locks on the Chesterfield Canal just by there.

And the 158 is sleek compared to the usual trains to Lincoln.

• RMweb Premium

Coal train as promised

post-6971-12644424560438_thumb.jpg

and as an experiment, a photoshopped "double", combining two shots. Can't see the join?

post-6971-12644424678967_thumb.jpg

Ah yes. Nice timing! Yup! 158s are 'sleek; compared to those donkey things! I'd like to see the 8F up this route sometime.

36E

As an aside, the "Magnesian Limestone" belt stretches a long way north - along the ECML route up as far as Durham. On fact, there is a rai;-linked quarry at Thrislington, not far south of Durham, whose main output is exactly that - magnesian limestone - mostly for use as an industrial "chemical".

• RMweb Premium

As an aside, the "Magnesian Limestone" belt stretches a long way north - along the ECML route up as far as Durham. On fact, there is a rai;-linked quarry at Thrislington, not far south of Durham, whose main output is exactly that - magnesian limestone - mostly for use as an industrial "chemical".

Think I noticed that when I went up to Newcastle last year? Is it just off the main line sort of between Durham & Thirsk?

36E

Archived