Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Mk2e coaches

newbryford

For Kirkhill we just cut the brake shoes off the Bachmann bogies, added Bachmann disk brake wheel sets (I don't know where Glenn found them) and I used Airfix air brake cylinder mouldings from some scrap air-cons.

Big Andy: I'm hoping you are not going to use Mk2E TSO coaches on your Aberdeen push-pull rakes as although the firsts were four Mk2Es and a Mk2F the air-con TSOs and TSOTs were Mk2D stock.

Absolutely Flood, I only bought an FO and a TSO, just to see what could be made of them. As you rightly say, the FO's were used in the Aberdeen's but in '88, I think from my notes, there was only one ScotRail liveried TSO ( 5813 ) allocated to Polmadie for use on the Cross country services, so it may well get thrown into an Inverness rake at some stage.......

Thanks for the notes on the 2Z's - I did buy some disc braked wheels a while back from Colin Craig, just got to find where i put them........

I'm looking forward to seeing Aberden Kirkhill at Stafford. if you see a big ugly guy at the front of the layout, slobbering at your stock, that'll be me. :declare:

cheers

Andy

• Like 3

Thankfully, I don't need 10 coach rakes or even 7/8 coach rakes. The Queen St - Aberdeen shoves which featured mainly the Aircon MK2's and some of the disc braked Mk2's were usually 4 or 5 Mk2's and a DBSO or thereabouts.

TBH, I don't really mind how long it takes me as I enjoy the modelling. I'm also in the process of building Queen St station as well, so I split my time and swap whenever I feel like it, so there's no rush - Rome wasn't built in a day.........

Once I get on a roll with dipping/stripping/detailing and spraying, things start appearing quite quickly. I've yet to start on the myriad of 101's and 107's that I'll need.

cheers

Andy

Andy

Phew !  I have to admire your dedicated approach especially with these new Mk2E's  - but your previous efforts show the end results are well worthwhile ! A man on his own mission regardless - go for it mate !

Cheers

Ken

What potential modern liveries can these Mk2E coaches potentially have in future production runs? I ask as I have done some research and find very few of the liveries we see on Mk2 coaches today are Mk2Es but mainly Mk2Fs.

Northern Belle?

Riviera Trains variations (ex-Anglia, ex-Virgin, The Great Briton)?

Network Rail?

DRS?

It appears I need to wait for Bachmann, but considering they seem to not like modern liveries, and Hornby do. I just hope I am wrong and some of the above are indeed Mk2E :)

What potential modern liveries can these Mk2E coaches potentially have in future production runs? I ask as I have done some research and find very few of the liveries we see on Mk2 coaches today are Mk2Es but mainly Mk2Fs.

Northern Belle?

Riviera Trains variations (ex-Anglia, ex-Virgin, The Great Briton)?

Network Rail?

DRS?

It appears I need to wait for Bachmann, but considering they seem to not like modern liveries, and Hornby do. I just hope I am wrong and some of the above are indeed Mk2E :)

I think DRS have one Mk2E, no. 5810 if I remember correctly.

Regards,

Ed

Hi, in reference to one of the previous posts; is the Hornby Mk2D BSO now completely dead ?

I ask as I was waiting for this to complete a rake, and since Hornby still have it on their own shop website I assumed it would turn up at some point. With the Mk2Es now here I'm wondering, so if anyone has anything definitive I'd appreciate it as I might have to do some reorganising !

cheers

Now in stock at Hattons - http://www.ehattons.com/51171/Hornby_R4563_Mk2d_BR_Intercity_Blue_Grey_Open_Second_Brake_Withdrawn_from_2012_range/StockDetail.aspx

Remarkable!  I didn't quite believe it, so I Googled the model number and it's also in stock at Kernow and Osborns, but Hattons have the best price.  I might have one to match my Hornby release Airby's and pass them onto my son when Bachmann get round to releasing theirs.

Alun

• Like 1

Only 9 left in stock!

6 left after I bought one just now.  I have to say, this is probably my least exciting or inspiring model railway purchase for as long as I can remember.  I think my first Airfix aircon was a BSO, in the late 1970s. I'm buying a near 40 year old model - not much has changed other than the paint job - in preference to a contemporary one.

Alun

• 3 weeks later...

So having wanted a Mk2D FK 13575 in NSE, I bit the bullet and decided to get one of Hornby's Mk2E FOs. Although the Bachmann Mk2F is almost certainly going to be a better match, Rails had the full-fat FO on offer for £20 with free P&P which for a coach that is going to be butchered and repainted is better than paying at least £5 more for the Bachmann one. Tbh, with the exception of that solebar (which literally just feels like the chassis hasn't been pushed into the body properly) and the roof vents it doesn't look too bad to me. Matches well in terms of body profile with the Bachmann Mk2A as well. 

So then, I was looking for some advice please - aside from the roof vents (which I understand are totally wrong for a Mk2E FO as well as the Mk2D FK), fixing the chassis so it doesn't have the solebar look and the interior, do I need to make any more modifications to the coach to make it look like a Mk2D FK? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by sub39h

do I need to make any more modifications to the coach to make it look like a Mk2D FK? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hi,

You need to remove a few seats and add the corridor inside, and some handles across the window interior on the corridor side. You can see their position in the pic (they're below the no smoking signs). The doors also need the ribs (in the white stripe) adding.

post-7290-0-87240900-1422819945_thumb.jpg

HTH

Cheers

Tom

Edited by tomstaf

Thanks very much! I wasn't going to get too hung up on the interior as the glazing is tinted and you can barely see in anyway. If I can find a cheap Bachmann FK I'll try pinch the interior from that though. It's more the external differences I'm worried about 

Edited by sub39h

I was in Hamleys today and picked up one of the Blue Grey Mk2d BSOs that miraculously appeared a couple of years after their announcement, as well as a Mk2e BSO with lights. Despite the various issues discussed here, I did muse that if you had told me 30 years ago that I could stand in a shop and choose between a Mk2d and a Mk2e BSO in Blue-Grey from the same manufacturer, each modelled with at least some attempt at the relevant detail differences, I would have been hard pressed to believe you!

I noticed that some more Mk2d SOs had come in finished in 'executive' livery. On examination I realised that the FO body had been used. Now I know that in later life a fair few FOs were declassified, but having now checked the numbers it does seem as if the wrong bodyshell has been accidentally used. Whoops....

http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/Hornby-r4463b-new.html

• Like 1

As I said Brian, these are my own findings and I am sharing them for those who wish to know and rectify the differences. The Extreme Etchings are absolutely the correct size, Brian Hanson would not settle for anything less.

They are not a compromise to fit the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby Mk2D - it just happens that Airfix took the trouble to measure the window correctly, unlike Hornby. If you're happy with the undersize frames, then that's great - Happy modelling.

Regarding the fixing of the frames ( and btw for thickness, they are also just right ) if you are attempting to fix them with glue, that is why they are sticking out too far from the bodyside - it's the thickness layer of glue and then paint which is making them resemble a bug eyed monster. If you attach them with gloss varnish ( let down slightly ), as it dries, it sucks the frame down onto the surface of the model. Careful application of paint from the airbrush will not alter the appearance of the etch, just enhance it.

Here's one i did earlier:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/47960-airfix-mk2-d/

I did find your postings on reducing the height of the Mk2E very good and one which I will attempt to implement.

I think my previous post along with the photos speaks for itself on how wrong the coach looks leaving the frames as they are, but again, that's just my own opinion.

cheers

Andy

That coach looks like O scale. Well done! I'm envious of your obvious skill.

I was in Hamleys today and picked up one of the Blue Grey Mk2d BSOs that miraculously appeared a couple of years after their announcement, as well as a Mk2e BSO with lights. Despite the various issues discussed here, I did muse that if you had told me 30 years ago that I could stand in a shop and choose between a Mk2d and a Mk2e BSO in Blue-Grey from the same manufacturer, each modelled with at least some attempt at the relevant detail differences, I would have been hard pressed to believe you!

I couldn't agree more, I said pages ago that I bought my first Airfix Mk2D BSO something like 35 years ago and I've just bought another!

Incidentally, not that I'm particularly bothered, it's on my sons train set at the moment, but the coach doesn't strictly match the other Hornby Mk2Ds we have.  The tinted windows are so dark that they are almost opaque - our SOs are near enough clear and the FOs somewhere in between the two.  The coach end grab rails have been picked out in white and the door steps in yellow; I believe privatisation era 'embellishments'.  Much like the Mk2F(?) style gangway ends, I wonder why Hornby bothered.

Alun

I noticed that some more Mk2d SOs had come in finished in 'executive' livery. On examination I realised that the FO body had been used. Now I know that in later life a fair few FOs were declassified, but having now checked the numbers it does seem as if the wrong bodyshell has been accidentally used. Whoops....

http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/Hornby-r4463b-new.html

Got mine there yesterday (Hattons now sold out).

Though I've already bought some Blue Grey Mk2e TSO's and a BSO I decided it was useful to keep my options open.

Noticed that they still had a R4216C Blue Grey Mk2d TSO. This must have been hiding behind all those Hornby Concession FGW Mk3's for some time, maybe it was only discovered during a recent stock take?

Edited by jonathan452

• 1 month later...

After reading the last few blogs on the new Hornby MK2e's the only conclusion I can make is that they are not to bad considering purchase price etc.. but have a few errors... one thing I do notice is how crisp the underframe/chassis mouldings are ie.. a/c equipment etc... compared with the original Airfix Mk2d moulding of the 70's.  Now when the Airfix Mk2d's arrived on the scene I was a young fellow lol...

and at that time compared with current Hornby/Triang Mark1's and Mark2's they were out of this world..

but unfortunatley we had nothing in the RTR range of locomotives to haul them... (except class 47)

and of course later we got an under scale Deltic from Lima... 30 odd years on we still have got anything to match the detail and standards that we now expect.. (forthcoming Bachmann Mk2f's?) It once was stated many years ago in one of the model railway magazines "it costs just as much to make a mould for an inaccurate model as it does a accurate one) The Hornby Mk2e's are very similiar to the Airfix Mk2d's in that no seperate handrails on coach ends, no seperate grab rails on the water tanks..etc..etc.

Anyway I model the ECML...1972+ therefore when the Bachmann Mk2f's are released hopefully in my life time... and they are accurate have all the bells & whistles... we still do not have any accurate and detailed MK2d's RTR to compliment them for ECML rakes... even into the mid 70's when most of the MK2d's were cascaded from ER to other regions the ECML was still running some mixed rakes of MK2f/d especially MK2d FK;s and BFK's.... so what we need is some bright entrepeneur to produce some MK2d body shells (BFK especillay) ie... 3d printing, resin, plastic injection moulded etc. to fit either on the MK2e chassis or the upcoming Bachmann 2f chassis....

• Like 1

I think Hornby missed an opportunity when they were designing and tooling the new Mk2e's

If they had foresight they would have tooled them up so that the chassis could be used later on their exisiting Mark2d tooling

for the 3 body moulds... Although both the Mk2d and Mk2e have errors on the bodies etc.. but one thing that stands out for the original tooling of the Mk2d chassis is that the detail isnt crisp but a bit chunky as this dates from the 70's

Some modellers would have just bought the railroad Mk2e's just to upgrade to a better chassis/underframe for their Mk2d's

and Hornby could have released (providing the moulds are still good) future releases of the Mk2d bodies on the new chassis and also utilised the same corridor connections as used on the Mk2e again improving the look of the orig Mk2d's

cheers

• RMweb Premium

I think Hornby missed an opportunity when they were designing and tooling the new Mk2e's

If they had foresight they would have tooled them up so that the chassis could be used later on their exisiting Mark2d tooling

for the 3 body moulds... Although both the Mk2d and Mk2e have errors on the bodies etc.. but one thing that stands out for the original tooling of the Mk2d chassis is that the detail isnt crisp but a bit chunky as this dates from the 70's

Some modellers would have just bought the railroad Mk2e's just to upgrade to a better chassis/underframe for their Mk2d's

and Hornby could have released (providing the moulds are still good) future releases of the Mk2d bodies on the new chassis and also utilised the same corridor connections as used on the Mk2e again improving the look of the orig Mk2d's

cheers

Maybe, except that Hornby has stated its policy is now to have complete sets of tooling for each model. So for example each GW tender engine will have its own Collett 3500g & 4000g and Hawksworth tender tooling, rather than being used across the range. Apparently its to simplify manufacturing when production is by a number of factories and to ensure tooling wear is consistent.

Edited by brushman47544

• 1 month later...

I visited the Hornby shop at Swindon Outlet Centre on Monday.  Not expecting to buy anything, there was an offer on coaches 4 for the price of 3.  I ended up handing over £240 and came away with 12 of these mark 2e's.  4 are lit and 8 unlit and I have to say I don't think they are bad at all.  The solebar isn't as bad as what I thought it would be and due to the fact that my layout is just over waist height, it's not visible when the coaches are on the track.

Although it is a little disappointing that the lights are not the full length of the carriage, I am impressed by the way that they stay on for a short time after power is removed as this will avoid flickering on dirty track.

Now to dispose of my Lima 2f's...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I visited the Hornby shop at Swindon Outlet Centre on Monday.  Not expecting to buy anything, there was an offer on coaches 4 for the price of 3.  I ended up handing over £240 and came away with 12 of these mark 2e's.  4 are lit and 8 unlit and I have to say I don't think they are bad at all.  The solebar isn't as bad as what I thought it would be and due to the fact that my layout is just over waist height, it's not visible when the coaches are on the track.

Although it is a little disappointing that the lights are not the full length of the carriage, I am impressed by the way that they stay on for a short time after power is removed as this will avoid flickering on dirty track.

Now to dispose of my Lima 2f's...

Why dispose of them?

They are a different type of coach