Hornby Mk2e coaches

newbryford

post-10371-0-78763000-1430042214_thumb.jpgpost-10371-0-25113000-1430042236_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

Attached are a couple of photos of the Hornby MK2 E FO that I'm uising in one of my Queen St - Aberdeen shove rakes.

It's still a work in progress but is about 90% finished now. It has had Shapeways Roevac roof vents fitted, Extreme Etchings window frames and Laserglaze, wire handrails, MJT door and grab handles, Bachmann B4 bogies ( just so it matches the rest of the rake which are Airfix 2D's with Bachmann B4's under them ) and MJT retracted white metal buffers.

I have dropped the body by about 1mm onto the chassis, by cutting it and then refixing said chassis back together - this then gets rid of the much criticised 'solebar'.

It's a full repaint, arbrushed on using Precision Paints then lined with Fox Transfers ScotRail striping. All other decal work is from the brilliant RailTec range of transfers. It just needs the droplights glazing and then weathering to complete.

cheers

Andy

• Like 17

A quick conversion of one of my FO's.  Have modified a Lima Mark 2 FK interior so that it fits.  This will be renumbered 13563, one of the 2 Mk 2d's to find it self on the West of England route.  This one remained in Blue/Grey whilst the other (13575) found its way into NSE.

Yes, it's a 2d and not a 2e but it's fine for me.  

I have removed the running numbers - this was not easy compared to a Bachmann coach.

post-1105-0-31405500-1430051647_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-56283500-1430051666_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

post-10371-0-61911100-1430053123_thumb.jpg

Without wishing to hijack the thread, here's a shot of the DBSO that the 2E is next in the raft to. It started life as an Airfix 2d and has had a plethora of work done to it - the main conversion is the PH designs DBSO kit, which needs some minor alterations to get into a 1980's version.

It also has working directional lights, which took some time to get right as each LED is fitted separately. It still needs a lot of tidying up and weathering of course, but I shall weather it at the same time as the other vehicles in order to achieve some uniformaty.

It'll be a 6 coach Aberdeen - Glasgow Queen St set when finished, I've done 4 of the vehicles, just finishing the last two as I speak..... The consist is DBSO, Mk2E, Mk2D TSOT ( in blue/grey ), Mk2d TSO, MK2D TSO and MK2Z TSO, all the rest of the vehicles are in ScotRail blue stripe flavour.

cheers

Andy

• Like 14

Now to dispose of my Lima 2f's...

Would not rush to dispose of your Lima 2's, with a bit of work they can be improved, I am still waiting to see the Bachmann air cons before deciding which ones to buy, either way I plan on keeping my Lima coaches.

A link to some before and after views on my layout thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96961-waverley-85-86/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1864035

• RMweb Gold

Would not rush to dispose of your Lima 2's, with a bit of work they can be improved, I am still waiting to see the Bachmann air cons before deciding which ones to buy, either way I plan on keeping my Lima coaches.

A link to some before and after views on my layout thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96961-waverley-85-86/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1864035

I know I may be considered to be slightly biased, but with my modellers hat on, IMHO the Lima 2f's scrub up pretty well with just the addition of Laserglaze.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Attached are a couple of photos of the Hornby MK2 E FO that I'm uising in one of my Queen St - Aberdeen shove rakes.

Superb, and show that the coaches can look good if only Hornby would get the livery application right.

• RMweb Premium

I know I may be considered to be slightly biased, but with my modellers hat on, IMHO the Lima 2f's scrub up pretty well with just the addition of Laserglaze.

Mike.

The poor original glazing is what put me off originally along with buying more 2Bs, but I now have a queue of nearly 30 coaches to be detailed

Even though the Lima 2Fs were produced over twenty years ago, and to a far more primitive standard, i'm still quite fond of my little fleet. I'm not sure about the length issue, they are the same length as the new Hornby 2Es, but all the Limas suffer from the over deep belly (remove 1mm.), which makes them look slightly stubby. I used to stretch the 2B/2C bodies, which is hard work for an extra 8 inches, but find trimming the belly is more effective, at least to the naked eye. After you've turned the old bogie moulding around and mounted new couplings on the other end, the next worse thing are the deep windows, which can be cured as above, or use the cheaper Flushglaze option. Let's not forget that issues like size and shape of windows, can only be verified by reference to photos or drawings, so for me if it looks about right, that will do. On some i've cut out the floor, and stuck the floor to the chassis, so i can glue the roof to the body, which is a much better arrangement than clip-fits, though i doubt i'll ever get around to converting all of them. Oh and those gangways, with the fictitious Italian Railways stick-up floor plate and the sticky-out rivets on the faceplate, well they all get filed off (they should have been recessed). The paintwork's not bad, but (after renumbering) benefits from a spray of satin or gloss varnish to bring up the colour, obviously before you tackle the windows. These are never gonna be top-notch showcase models (without a total, time-consuming and costly rebuild), but can be tweaked into fairly decent "layout coaches", viewed from more than a couple of feet away. Old Limas are cheap to buy, so can be used as a low cost conversion project, which can be quite satisfying. If the Bachmann 2Fs are totally brilliant, i'll buy them, but i'll still keep by Lima 2Fs as back-up (for football specials, etc. :-)     )      BK

• Like 1

Getting back to the Hornby 2Es/kinda 2Fs, which i also love and adore, i wish Hornby would sell their 2E or general purpose LED lighting units separately in the R-number shop range. Having worked out that the cure for dim end lighting, was to shove two lighting units into one bodyshell, i've ended up rather short of said items. Perhaps i can buy a few from their spares department (?), but i'm sure available quantities would be restricted, but would save all the trouble of rigging up individual LEDs? If memory serves, they used to offer a lighting unit in the R-range years ago, was it R449 (?), albeit a totally different low-tech bulb set animal and not appropriate for the 2E job. Come on Hornby, offer us the LED lighting bars separately, so we can buy them in the shops. Should sell a bomb, handy for other coaches and kits too.    BK

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to the Hornby 2Es/kinda 2Fs, which i also love and adore, i wish Hornby would sell their 2E or general purpose LED lighting units separately in the R-number shop range. Having worked out that the cure for dim end lighting, was to shove two lighting units into one bodyshell, i've ended up rather short of said items. Perhaps i can buy a few from their spares department (?), but i'm sure available quantities would be restricted, but would save all the trouble of rigging up individual LEDs? If memory serves, they used to offer a lighting unit in the R-range years ago, was it R449 (?), albeit a totally different low-tech bulb set animal and not appropriate for the 2E job. Come on Hornby, offer us the LED lighting bars separately, so we can buy them in the shops. Should sell a bomb, handy for other coaches and kits too.    BK

For a man of your calibre Brian, a cheaper and easier way is to buy veroboard, sm led's and a capacitor and make your own?

Guaranteed to get them all in the right place then.

Mike.

yeah if you have lighting then you may as well go the whole hog and illuminate the vestibules toilets and other areas such as any corridors or guards compartments etc.

might be beter off buying the non-lit Hornby items but then again do the non lit non railroad (middle of the road) versions come with metal wheels and pick up wires as standard????

yeah if you have lighting then you may as well go the whole hog and illuminate the vestibules toilets and other areas such as any corridors or guards compartments etc.

might be beter off buying the non-lit Hornby items but then again do the non lit non railroad (middle of the road) versions come with metal wheels and pick up wires as standard????

The non lit, non railroad two that I bought had metal wheels but no pick ups or wires.

cheers

Andy

• 1 month later...

I think that livery is correct, the red stripe in particular is in my opinion more accurate than the version on the Airfix / Dapol / GMR versions. I also prefer the shade of dark grey.

Overall I think the Lima version matches Bachmann’s rendering of the livery better and therefore a Bachmann loco with Bachmann and Lima Coaches in a rake of Intercity matches better than a Bachmann / Airfix rake in that livery. The link in my post above is to a photo of a Bachmann 47 and Lima Mk2s.

I tend to use my Intercity liveried Airfix versions with a non Intercity liveried loco, so with a Large Logo or Blue 47 for example.

The Lima version other than the red stripe not extending round the edge is neatly applied. This can be sorted easily.

Is the raspberry ripple livery correctly applied?

Depends on what you consider to be correctly applied.

As Waverley47708 has stated, the shading and colours of the paint seem to be Ok, it's just the position on the bodysides which is questionable. Have a look at post #344 onwards.

cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...