Hornby Mk2e coaches

newbryford

Am wondering how much better then the Hornby version of the Mk 2Ds they are.

Overall they are better than the 2Ds, much finer and crisper moulding. They look perfectly fine when running with Bachmann,s mk2s whereas the 2Ds sit higher than them (both coupling and roof heights).

The Airby Mk2Ds look fine with Bachmann Mk1s though.

The buffers don't quite match up, but bearing in mind all the other discrepancies, I'll sleep at night!  A BG and an RU is what mine will be running with until the Bachmann version comes along.

Alun

• RMweb Gold

Ah, buses, here we go.

Charles Henry Roe's father was head of the North Eastern carriage works at York, and his first job was there, not surprisingly. During his employment there he assisted in the design of a Royal coach, bus bodywork when a number were built for railway use, but more relative to this post, he also invented and patented a carriage roof ventilator. The NER wouldn't pay him for it , so he resigned and moved to Charles Roberts in Wakefield, taking his design with him.

I'll look further into the ventilator to see what relationship with the Roe-Vac it has.

Watch this space.

Mike.

Looking at the InterCity-livered versions on Hatton's site, it looks like that horrible yellowy/orangy pale grey used on the old versions has finally been banished. Can anyone confirm this?

I got one of these today to see if it is as bad as I have read.

The colours look good to me although I think the red stripe is a little narrow. A good match for both my repaints and some Lima Mk3s.

However the livery seems to be a hybrid being in 1989 ish. INTERCITY but with the more recent central door locking lights and orange guttering.

For me the false solebar is not a problem, maybe the livery makes it less noticeable. The roof vents are a disappointment and the silly gangway paint job is easily put right.

In all good value for money at £24.99 including postage.

Merf.

• Like 1

I can't help thinking that if Hornby's effort had looked like Brian's, I'd have bought at least a rake of them by now.

got to say that that is avast improvement all just from thinning out theblue line. now they look more like i remember them......

sure H put out samples painted so why didnt they act on comments about the line?  what a silly error.

got to say that that is avast improvement all just from thinning out theblue line. now they look more like i remember them......

sure H put out samples painted so why didnt they act on comments about the line?  what a silly error.

Indeed if you refer back to the photograph on post 18 - Page 1.

Perhapes the factory was already churning them out by then?

Edited by jonathan452

Can somebody please explain to me how Hornby are able to make beautifully accurate models of 1928 K series Pullman stock but can't make an accurate model of 1972/73 Mk2e British Rail stock?

I would hate to think the answer is solely because the higher management at Hornby have more interest in steam era stock than that from the post steam era.

Can somebody please explain to me how Hornby are able to make beautifully accurate models of 1928 K series Pullman stock but can't make an accurate model of 1972/73 Mk2e British Rail stock?

I would hate to think the answer is solely because the higher management at Hornby have more interest in steam era stock than that from the post steam era.

I would have thought the rush to release it before Bachmann released it's Mk2F was enough of an explanation. As an eastern region modeller I'm glad I don't need any Mk2Es. Quite excited about Bachmann's Mk2Fs tho! ER apparently didn't get any Mk2F BSOs tho so a bit of modellers license will need to be used. Edited by sub39h
  • Like 1

And the ironic thing is that it's probably a lot easier to find decent pictures of MK2e compared to a 1930's Pullman coach.

I would have thought the rush to release it before Bachmann released it's Mk2F was enough of an explanation. As an eastern region modeller I'm glad I don't need any Mk2Es. Quite excited about Bachmann's Mk2Fs tho! ER apparently didn't get any Mk2F BSOs tho so a bit of modellers license will need to be used.

Some 2f BSOs were transferred to the ER very early on.

I would have thought the rush to release it before Bachmann released it's Mk2F was enough of an explanation. As an eastern region modeller I'm glad I don't need any Mk2Es. Quite excited about Bachmann's Mk2Fs tho! ER apparently didn't get any Mk2F BSOs tho so a bit of modellers license will need to be used.

I believe that you are correct, Hornby tried to keep a major proportion of the market share of BR air-con stock (which they previously held 100% by having the rights to the old Airfix mouldings).

In this instance, though, I believe that this strategy will come back to haunt them over the long term.

What I will re-iterate is that from what I have heard the Bachmann model is not going to be in the £20 - £30 bracket but will be more. It will be up to the individual whether they believe that the Bachmann product is worth its price when it is released.

I believe that you are correct, Hornby tried to keep a major proportion of the market share of BR air-con stock (which they previously held 100% by having the rights to the old Airfix mouldings).

In this instance, though, I believe that this strategy will come back to haunt them over the long term.

What I will re-iterate is that from what I have heard the Bachmann model is not going to be in the £20 - £30 bracket but will be more. It will be up to the individual whether they believe that the Bachmann product is worth its price when it is released.

If that's the case best get your order in with Hattons. The non DCC ones are still available with the pre order price guarantee at around £25.50. I've had them on pre-order since they were first announced. Edited by sub39h

If that's the case best get your order in with Hattons. The non DCC ones are still available with the pre order price guarantee at around £25.50. I've had them on pre-order since they were first announced.

No note on there either about price being subject to change and customers will be notified if it does, so looks like it's a pre-order price they will honour.

These coaches have arrived at the right time, have the correct lack of separate fragile fittings, and have lights too. They have found humble employment going round the base of the Christmas tree at home this year.

I bought the other half one of these-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-HO-Scale-Train-Set-Analog-Thomas-Christmas-Express-00721-/360816055116?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item540250134c

And they say the age of romance is dead!

Oh she asked for the train, it wasnt my idea!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 3

Just started work on mine, glazing seems to come out pretty easily, those door windows have been corrected as the "roundness" of the edges hasn't been captured well at all.. next up those Roe-vac vents, I assume that the positioning and type etc stayed the same when they were repainted into intercity, thinking of the vents, do Southern Pride Models not do them?

NL