Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

A clever use of fibreglass moulds and concrete to recreate the stone pattern on the seaward side of the wall. Apologies if this has been asked previously, but is the embossed concrete facing a temporary finish until real stone can face it? Is it going to be coloured in some way to match the existing wall or is it going to be left to colour and weather naturally over time?

Hi Andy - this is the final finish - concrete moulded in a masonry pattern (pattern taken from elsewhere on the wall). We believe that it will weather down quite quickly under marine conditions...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering when that would get out!! ;)

Me too...! (been out all day on family business). I'm not sure that the BBC have got the tonnages of material right, I think it's rather less than that, yet still a substantial amount. I'm hoping to visit the location next week (between Sprey Point and Smugglers Cove).

• Like 1

One question about the new repair - it seems to be being built to much stronger standards than the remaining undamaged sections of the sea wall, which of course is right and proper - but will this mean that the remaining old sections of the wall could face increased attrition or damaging forces in future storms?  Or is there a plan to upgrade the remaining undamaged sections in the medium term to give a consistent level of protection along the whole wall?

I'm just curious whether the very different methods of construction have measurably different levels of resistance and if this differential might cause future problems.

Many thanks for the pictures and informative updates CK. A clever use of fibreglass moulds and concrete to recreate the stone pattern on the seaward side of the wall. Apologies if this has been asked previously, but is the embossed concrete facing a temporary finish until real stone can face it? Is it going to be coloured in some way to match the existing wall or is it going to be left to colour and weather naturally over time?

Huge respect to the Orange Army and a big like on the Dawlish 'Facebook' page.

There's a few photos here curtsey of the Eye of Dawlish facebook page as well.  

https://www.facebook.com/EODawlish/posts/750857284939432

Keep up the excellent work Captain, Gary and the Orange Army! I'm looking forward to heading back down west next month (in the dark mind on the Night Riv) but i'll certainly spare a thought for all your excellent work.

One question about the new repair - it seems to be being built to much stronger standards than the remaining undamaged sections of the sea wall, which of course is right and proper - but will this mean that the remaining old sections of the wall could face increased attrition or damaging forces in future storms?  Or is there a plan to upgrade the remaining undamaged sections in the medium term to give a consistent level of protection along the whole wall?

I'm just curious whether the very different methods of construction have measurably different levels of resistance and if this differential might cause future problems.

It is great to see so much effort going into to repairing the damage to restore the line to Cornwall. Superb effort by all those concerned and nice to see so much appreciation (richly deserved) of those involved. Even Network Rail and the Government seem to be working well together and pulling all the stops out to finish it early, which hopefully bodes well for the future of other projects.

I guess they can only repair what needs mending, and other parts may have better and geologically stronger foundations to adhere to.  The sea always attacks the coast line and will find any weak spots, perhaps there are plans to put in extra defences in vulnerable places in the future. I guess like everything funds are scarce and reopening as quickly as possible is the goal

Well done to the lads   :sungum:    :locomotive:   :angel:  in yellow

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

Here is the update for Atlantic conditions from the USA for 17th March.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/qdtm86bw.gif

It does appear to be on the cusp of change, with a cold front on your horizon. Nothing unusual in this at this time of the year but it does look like the pleasant conditions will begin to deteriorate somewhat after tomorrow.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy - this is the final finish - concrete moulded in a masonry pattern (pattern taken from elsewhere on the wall). We believe that it will weather down quite quickly under marine conditions...

However if it doesn't we now know what 'special activities' the good Cap'n is arranging for the Taunton weekend - charabanc to Dawlish and a chat with the locals to explain 'these are a  party of scenic colouring experts who have come to blend in the appearance of the concrete section with that of the old wall.'

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

However if it doesn't we now know what 'special activities' the good Cap'n is arranging for the Taunton weekend - charabanc to Dawlish and a chat with the locals to explain 'these are a  party of scenic colouring experts who have come to blend in the appearance of the concrete section with that of the old wall.'

Whose going to supply all the waterproof weathering powders or perhaps the new seawall could be sponsored by Greenscene or Woodland Scenics.

Jamie

• Like 2

The manufacturers of Colron had better prepare for a big order...

• RMweb Premium
Fat Controller, on 16 Mar 2014 - 14:01, said:

One way of ageing concrete/blockwork/brickwork is to brush it over with milk that's 'on the turn'; however, always do it before going off-site for the weekend..

Another way I was told a few years ago was to brush it over with watered down cow sh.

• RMweb Premium

One way of ageing concrete/blockwork/brickwork is to brush it over with milk that's 'on the turn'; however, always do it before going off-site for the weekend..

It depends on how porous the concrete is. Plain yogurt is even more effective

• RMweb Gold

We know that the areas of the wall (a large percentage of it) with the higher walkway and foundation strengthening has withstood the storms much better.

However, this is literally an on-going discussion, so more regarding the future of the wall will no doubt emerge from 'the wash' as time passes.

I heard 35,000 tonnes.

Still a lot of lorry movements to shift that lot.

Sounds more like it. I'm going to find out more shortly...

With that amount of rock which is in the process of becoming sand, I wonder that instead of shifting it elsewhere that it wouldn't be best to chuck it over the side to the sea and let wave action pulverise it and distribute the same along the beaches that have been denuded. If you move it just where are you going to put that much debris, 35,000 tons being about 17,000 cubic metres of rubble, or a pile about 100ft square at the base 60ft high, assuming no slope on the sides. That's a lot of rock to find a home for.

It's still a lot for the sea to get rid of, but without the railway it would have had to have done so anyway.

Two pix of landslips.

Sidmouth, 2013 - small slip of rock similar to that at Dawlish. Gets broken up pretty quickly. Slips like this are happening frequently.

post-5402-0-04341200-1395002936_thumb.jpg

Bucks Mills (Between Westward Ho! and Hartland - Lundy on the horizon) - bit harder rock forming a spit out to sea. Been there for some years.

post-5402-0-22945900-1395003046_thumb.jpg

Landslips could continue for some time as at Lyme Regis http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-26445939

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

RJS1977, on 16 Mar 2014 - 14:30, said:

The manufacturers of Colron had better prepare for a big order...

Sounds as though Allan Downes is due a holiday down in the west country later this year.