Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

I've just watched Spotlights view on re-opening the Teign Valley line as a diversionary route, some lovely archive film and some footage of a scrap metal train from Marsh Barton and a timber train on the last bit of the Teign Valley.

SS

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Gary.  Technically by making it a construction site they come under a different set of regulations and buy so doing avoid the various railway regulations such as ROGS and that should save them a lot of heartache and problems.  And one advantage (?) of it is that HMRI have no jurisdiction on a site which is classed as a construction site even if it happens to be on a railway.  In fact HMRI have already lost one court case for exactly that reason - when they tried to bring a prosecution under ROGS based procedures and do the Railway concerned for not having an SMS the court kicked out the case because the area concerned was classed as a construction site, bureaucracy can have its good times too ;)

• RMweb Gold

I've just watched Spotlights view on re-opening the Teign Valley line as a diversionary route, some lovely archive film and some footage of a scrap metal train from Marsh Barton and a timber train on the last bit of the Teign Valley.

SS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03xjwqt/Spotlight_12_03_2014/

Eight minutes in. Some lovely short bits of historical film.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

15 years to build a diversionary line, must be a misprint, or consultant speak for a "very courageous decision, Prime Minister.'.

15 years to 'achieve' rather than 'build'. On anything like this the 'build' is often the shortest part. The time gets rapidly eaten up by MPs, NIMBYs and Eco-Warriors. Near where I live a Bypass has been in the pipeline for over 30 years now, the build will take about 3 years when all of the other hurdles have been cleared.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think I'l be going back in to the main breach site again though, atleast not until they give us the go ahead to reinstall the track which should be happening 7th of April I think. That will be a 24 hour operation, around the clock until its all in.

Isn't it meant to be re-opening on the 4th? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26433185

A new meaning to 'Atmospheric railway' as the trains will need to fly over the section for a week or so...

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Now, one thing that really struck me was the security in actually getting to the main breach site.

Its very clear that for all intents and purposes, this is not a railway construction site at the moment, I was informed its a "street construction" site.

Despite this, the main contractor still uses E'S's and COSS's. Strange street.......... :scratchhead:

First off you'll walk through a gate and into the first cabin where I was 'inducted'. This happens to any new entrant to the site that's controlled by Amco staff. Even though I was in my full NR 'dress code', every one is inducted.

You put your name in the book, time in, where you came from, whom you work for and Sentinal card number.

You then get a little sticker on your hard hat to say you've been inducted!

After that you walk 20 yards before entering another cabin with a white board inside. Here, you do all that again that you did in the first cabin, save perhaps where you travelled from and Sentinal number.

Can't be too careful, security-wise. Lots of dodgy attempts to get into the site... apparently there have been reports of some geezer pretending to be a naval officer, trying to gain access to take photos for some internet forum or other... :O

One thing that made me smile was that the free burgers etc have actually gone to £1 each. All the money will go to charity and its into thousands already, what a great idea!!  :sungum:

Shhhhh! Don't tell 'em about the cheap burgers..! Just when they thought I was going down there just for them!!  ;)  ;)  :lol:

Isn't it meant to be re-opening on the 4th? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26433185

Yes, you are correct in that regard, Andi...!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03xjwqt/Spotlight_12_03_2014/

Eight minutes in. Some lovely short bits of historical film.

I reckon the bit with the scrap train at Alphington was filmed last Thursday, when I was down with Channel 5 in Riverside, filming the timber train. The footage of the timber train on the Heathfield branch in the BBC report must have been from their archives.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just a request for CK if it's at all possible? Is there a way for you to get a picture of the seaward side of the wall with the angle-blocks in place? I'm curious what the structure is like prior to cosmetic facing, and how strong it looks compared to its actual (theoretical or modelled) strength.

I'll try, but it probably won't be possible until the containers are removed, unless you're interested in just what it looks like 'right now'...? I am due to visit site tomorrow, if there's time I can enquire whether access to the beach is possible, but they were restricting that only to those connected to a harness, last time I was there.

• RMweb Gold

First off you'll walk through a gate and into the first cabin where I was 'inducted'. This happens to any new entrant to the site that's controlled by Amco staff. Even though I was in my full NR 'dress code', every one is inducted.

You put your name in the book, time in, where you came from, whom you work for and Sentinal card number.

I showed the guy on the gate my Sentinel one time, and he wouldn't let me in because it wasn't the weathered Tarmac one... :P

(Sorry, it's getting late, so it's probably way past my bedtime...)

Whilst taking nothing away from the tremendous effort that the Cap'n and his crew have put in at Dawlish and elsewhere. If Coachman had been in charge the track would've already been laid, taken up again, realigned, relaid again, siding added, siding removed etc etc in the same time :sungum:

From Network Rail.

Aerial view of work site. (back on 27th Feb.)

That's a great viewpoint. Thanks.

I wondered if this spot (apart from the fact that Sea Lawn is a natural point for the sea to break in) also appears to have openings in the low-tide sea defences that presumably were installed after prior ruptures to the wall. The gap is quite noticeable here slightly south and west of the breach. There are a couple of really excellent "before" shots of this section of the wall attached to Google maps, but I can't figure out how to link to them.

EDIT: Before: no beach at Sea Lawn, and the "thinner wall" at Sea Lawn (after the 1869? reconstruction to the south)

I continue to be impressed with the ingenuity and rapidity of this engineering effort to reopen the line. The construction logistics and getting details right (like remembering drains when pouring concrete) on what is, by necessity, a 'rush' design and build effort is hard work.

This stretch of Sea Lawn will be ironclad and should last a good while.

Of course if we wait long enough all of Dawlish will be in the Channel eventually. The trick is keeping that to thousands of years rather than hundreds. I suspect the lifespan of the town was greatly extended by the works of the inimitable Mr. Brunel and his associates in the first place.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

15 years to 'achieve' rather than 'build'. On anything like this the 'build' is often the shortest part. The time gets rapidly eaten up by MPs, NIMBYs and Eco-Warriors. Near where I live a Bypass has been in the pipeline for over 30 years now, the build will take about 3 years when all of the other hurdles have been cleared.

I agree - I reckoned about 12 years of arguing and 3 years of construction work - then saw you'd reached the same conclusion.  Only problem is that the longer the nimbys argue the greater the cost escalation.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

I continue to be impressed with the ingenuity and rapidity of this engineering effort to reopen the line. The construction logistics and getting details right (like remembering drains when pouring concrete) on what is, by necessity, a 'rush' design and build effort is hard work.

Do we know it's a 'rush design' or was it something stashed away in a cupboard marked 'contingency jobs'?

• Like 3

The problem really seems to be tidal. I propose moving the moon further away.

That should sort it...

Geoff Endacott

Geoff, you are not taking this thread seriously. Leave the moon where it is. What we need to do is move the sun further away. This would stop melting of the polar ice caps, hence reduce the rise in sea level.

• Like 2

Do we know it's a 'rush design' or was it something stashed away in a cupboard marked 'contingency jobs'?

I certainly don't. It's nice to think that the plan might have existed ahead of time. Sea Lawn is a known trouble spot and looking at a number of "before" pictures you can see why. (Sadly I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it in person so far.)

The use of shipping containers felt more reflexive than planned but it was a good idea as a temporary stop gap (literally). 

The problem really seems to be tidal. I propose moving the moon further away.

That should sort it...

Geoff, you are not taking this thread seriously. Leave the moon where it is. What we need to do is move the sun further away. This would stop melting of the polar ice caps, hence reduce the rise in sea level.

Sorted, the Moon is moving farther away from Earth as we speak (at a rate of +38.247±0.004 mm/y).

How long should we wait?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I certainly don't. It's nice to think that the plan might have existed ahead of time. Sea Lawn is a known trouble spot and looking at a number of "before" pictures you can see why. (Sadly I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it in person so far.)

The use of shipping containers felt more reflexive than planned but it was a good idea as a temporary stop gap (literally). 

Without knowing the inside story of the early decision making I can only comment on how it appears to me.  It seems to me that for once the professional engineers, with long experience and local knowledge were allowed to get on with the job without endless second guessing by people a long way away.  they appear to have been told to get the job done and then been left to get on with it, and seem to have been given proper backing from high up.

Jamie

• Like 1