Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Traeth Mawr -Building Mr Price's house , (mostly)

ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

In Bude  the canal was built to take the lime bearing sand inland to enrich the fields in that area. There are also some very folded rock formations in the cliffs north of Bude towards Duckpool. Not that any of this is any use to Chris modelling Wales.

Don

Don,

No, maybe not but it still interesting and Bude is one of those special places for me.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2015 at 11:20, Penlan said:

Further, you may want to include some intimation that there may be some activity in the yard....

Though it appears here that the dray man and a worker are on a tea break,

unfortunately the horse doesn't seem to have a feed bag.

The ILAM Gas wagon is another made up livery, it was created for John Degg & Bill Wood's ILAM layout,

which completed it's exhibition tours around 1991.

(Some naughty people called it the 11am layout, about the earliest we came to life on a Sunday morning at exhibitions)... :nono:

The 'Old Radnor Lime' is another hand painted wagon, created long before transfers etc., became available.

The scratch built long flat wagon (just visible) is a LNWR Dia.14,   24' long Timber Wagon (sometimes called a Deal Wagon).

attachicon.gifYard Activity #1 - Small.jpg

There is also a Evan's & Bevan coal wagon with the side door open... However, when I painted this back in the 70's, I only had a B&W photo and I wanted a change from all the black or grey bodies I had, so it's bauxite, - wrong, should be black.  

The Coal Merchant - Tudor Watkins - enamel sign has faded from the weather (Or the ink jet print hasn't lasted). 

attachicon.gifYard Activity #2 - Small #2.jpg

Penlan,

Yes, I will have to do that.  A nose bag for the horse is something to think about.  I cannot remember if I have seen one modelled.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 3

What would you think of Lettraset?

IF you can find a suitable type face, then all's well, though I don't recall any I got on with. On another thread 'A nod to Brent' - page 529, post 13203, I mentioned that I had used the 'patents' lettering type face at the bottom the Lettraset sheets for a street name on a 'nameplate' - 'LLaniog Road' (Ivor the engine locality) though you can't see it on the picture and the building is now on friends layout ... I think the patent letters have been used on other small lettered signs too, but that was on Penlan Mk's 1 & 2.

In MRJ 241, Trevor Pott has done a small sign for one of those delivery bikes, and has used 2 and 3 pt font, but not effectivly, then hand drawn and copied into Coraldraw and printed off.  I'm not impressed with the result at all.  

I use MSExcel to draw, letter etc., at a size I can easily see and then print off, using the scaling facility in 'Page Setup'.

For the bike centre panel I drew it out on screen at about 120mm wide, then printed out at 10% scaling (The minimum allowed) which gave me a sign 7.5mm wide, which I think is close to the actual size required, all lettering is legible and neat, with a magnifier.

In a post above, No.1421, I mentioned I was not happy with the signage for the coal office, so I've redone it..

In Excel, the size of the panel is 200mm wide, the 'Scaling' was 28% to give me the sign at 36mm wide, this I printed (Ink Jet) onto white decal paper - Thus the blue background and red shading are ink, the white lettering is the paper.  After printing on suitable decal paper, you then add an acrylic varnish, let it dry, then apply as a normal water slide decal, then varnish over, again.

- for brighter white, I would paint the actual signboard white, mine was black plastikard.

For those who are able to experiment with Excel, the red shading is done by...

'Tudor Watkins' is done with the Wordart facility, once in place, right click on it and 'Control C', then 'Control V', or however you do copy and paste.. This will off set the 'Tudor Watkins' a little bit, go into Format WordArt, and change the Fill and Line colours to Red (in this case), then into Wordart Order and press send to back, then slide the red letters to where you want the shading to appear, normally to right and below.

It's one of those things, when you you know how, it's easy, and nobody gets hurt doing it.

Just to complete this, 'Coal Merchant', 'Offices Penlan' and 'Dyfynnog & Lladeilo' are three seperate pieces of Wordart, which allows me to fit them in to the space I have. (Llandeilo? because the real Penlan Dairy was there).

Dyfynnog? Well 'Welsh first language' Tudor Watkins insists that is the proper name for Devynock (& Sennybridge) and it's the name of his Neath & Brecon 4mm scale layout.

And finally... phew, The Coal Order office is fully fitted out inside, it was built for a layout first exhibited in 1973.

post-6979-0-51533200-1442399392.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

IF you can find a suitable type face, then all's well, though I don't recall any I got on with. On another thread 'A nod to Brent' - page 529, post 13203, I mentioned that I had used the 'patents' lettering type face at the bottom the Lettraset sheets for a street name on a 'nameplate' - 'LLaniog Road' (Ivor the engine locality) though you can't see it on the picture and the building is now on friends layout ... I think the patent letters have been used on other small lettered signs too, but that was on Penlan Mk's 1 & 2.

In MRJ 241, Trevor Pott has done a small sign for one of those delivery bikes, and has used 2 and 3 pt font, but not effectivly, then hand drawn and copied into Coraldraw and printed off.  I'm not impressed with the result at all.  

I use MSExcel to draw, letter etc., at a size I can easily see and then print off, using the scaling facility in 'Page Setup'.

For the bike centre panel I drew it out on screen at about 120mm wide, then printed out at 10% scaling (The minimum allowed) which gave me a sign 7.5mm wide, which I think is close to the actual size required, all lettering is legible and neat, with a magnifier.

In a post above, No.1421, I mentioned I was not happy with the signage for the coal office, so I've redone it..

In Excel, the size of the panel is 200mm wide, the 'Scaling' was 28% to give me the sign at 36mm wide, this I printed (Ink Jet) onto white decal paper - Thus the blue background and red shading are ink, the white lettering is the paper.  After printing on suitable decal paper, you then add an acrylic varnish, let it dry, then apply as a normal water slide decal, then varnish over, again.

- for brighter white, I would paint the actual signboard white, mine was black plastikard.

For those who are able to experiment with Excel, the red shading is done by...

'Tudor Watkins' is done with the Wordart facility, once in place, right click on it and 'Control C', then 'Control V', or however you do copy and paste.. This will off set the 'Tudor Watkins' a little bit, go into Format WordArt, and change the Fill and Line colours to Red (in this case), then into Wordart Order and press send to back, then slide the red letters to where you want the shading to appear, normally to right and below.

It's one of those things, when you you know how, it's easy, and nobody gets hurt doing it.

Just to complete this, 'Coal Merchant', 'Offices Penlan' and 'Dyfynnog & Lladeilo' are three seperate pieces of Wordart, which allows me to fit them in to the space I have. (Llandeilo? because the real Penlan Dairy was there).

Dyfynnog? Well 'Welsh first language' Tudor Watkins insists that is the proper name for Devynock (& Sennybridge) and it's the name of his Neath & Brecon 4mm scale layout.

And finally... phew, The Coal Order office is fully fitted out inside, it was built for a layout first exhibited in 1973.

attachicon.gifTudor Coal.jpg

Penlan,

Thank you for your full answer.  I probably could have worked this out myself given time, if I had thought of all the bits, but having it explained makes it so much easier.

Thought I might have some photo's of the interior, Stubby47 of this Parish did some a few years ago, but I can't find them in my files.
So, I've done a couple more.  Because the back platform edge and fence is in the way, the lense is only about 30mmm from the window, so not a clear shot... I must get that window bar fixed.....  :O

post-6979-0-15688000-1442402026.jpg

post-6979-0-77180400-1442402035.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A last note on culm and lime. There is a Culm Valley in Devon. I wonder if there is any link. And in south Wales the Brecon Forest Tramroad carried limestone for the farmers further north, though that was not the original intention (that would make a challenging project: first motorise your horse.

And on printing signs, I have just been doing the same as Penlan for some colliery signs. I set them up ten times final size in Gimp (the poor man's Photoshop) and than dropped them into Word. Then I adjusted the size so that they were four times final size, which is very easy in Word, and used the "scale" function to print them at final size. I had to do it that way because the minimum scale for my laser printer is 25%. So check your printer menu before you start. A word of warning. The first time, I reduced the size of the image to 1/10th and saved a copy but when I looked at the image it was useless, just a few pixels. So you need to use the large image to print from. You can do the shading in Gimp, too.

A lovely coal office, Penlan, but I am surprised Tudor didn't insist on "Swythfeydd ym Mhenlan, Dyfynnog a LLandeilo". A nice irregular plural.

Jonathan

• Like 5

A last note on culm and lime. There is a Culm Valley in Devon. I wonder if there is any link. And in south Wales the Brecon Forest Tramroad carried limestone for the farmers further north, though that was not the original intention (that would make a challenging project: first motorise your horse.

And on printing signs, I have just been doing the same as Penlan for some colliery signs. I set them up ten times final size in Gimp (the poor man's Photoshop) and than dropped them into Word. Then I adjusted the size so that they were four times final size, which is very easy in Word, and used the "scale" function to print them at final size. I had to do it that way because the minimum scale for my laser printer is 25%. So check your printer menu before you start. A word of warning. The first time, I reduced the size of the image to 1/10th and saved a copy but when I looked at the image it was useless, just a few pixels. So you need to use the large image to print from. You can do the shading in Gimp, too.

A lovely coal office, Penlan, but I am surprised Tudor didn't insist on "Swythfeydd ym Mhenlan, Dyfynnog a LLandeilo". A nice irregular plural.

Jonathan

Would Inkscape be better for this? It's the same price as GIMP! GIMP creates bitmaps, so will lose quality when it's scaled, but Inkscape creates a vector file, so should be infinitely scaleable in either direction.

I am surprised Tudor didn't insist on "Swythfeydd ym Mhenlan, Dyfynnog a LLandeilo". A nice irregular plural.

As he's been Best Man at 2 of my weddings, there's some lee way with Welsh, he can only push so much onto me....  :sungum: 

• Like 2

I know

Sandy

Should be Defynnog - The typing gremlins again?

John, I got a bit tangled up there, I thought it was E, then something slunk across the brain cells and it became a 'Y'.

Perhaps I was tripping over the correct way to say Felin Foel Stout.....Velin Voel.... 
Enjoy this weekend over at Aylesbury, there's some good layouts there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is it irregular? I thought all words ending in -fa have plurals in -feydd

• RMweb Gold

I actually have some modelling to report!  Last week was almost a complete washout with very little getting done and finishing with everything being put away as we had visitors coming.  Still today, I put the second length of track on the 'down' side of the platform.  I have cut the rails at the join in the fiddleyard and screwed in the brass screws on the other side of the join without mishap so thank you everyone who gave me pointers, well basically told me what to do.  When the track is glued down solidly I will take pictures and post them.

However, by clearing the table it means that I now have space.  Space is important as I want to get on with the station building.  This means it will join all the other half finished projects that I have on the go.  What I am planning to do though is to leave the floor off and make the roof detachable so that I can build the outside and then do the interior when I have both the time and inclination, otherwise it will not get very far very quickly.

I have decided to build it from artists mounting card and overlay it with plasticard random stone.  I have yet to decide whether it should be 4mm or 7mm scale sheets.  As I have said previously the building will be based on Aberdovey as per Sierd Jan's plan but the wall height will be as per Barmouth.  This is because I wish the have a sloping canopy which is so typical of the Cambrian and Aberdovey as built had a counterbalanced one.  I actually have one of those from the Ratio Station kit but that would be boring and easy.  I have already cut the sides.  I am not sure if my wife noticed me crawling around the floor to have enough space to cut them out.  The plan is to print the plan out and overlay it on the cardboard sides so that I can get the windows in the correct place.  I will try and take pictures as I go along.  Comments on the method are welcomed.

The interior is going to happen so I need to decide what the different rooms are going to be.  I attach an image from my spreadsheet on which I have put the rooms in relation to the doors and windows.  I have looked at the photos of Aberdovey but the only definite is the Gentleman's toilet.

post-11508-0-78430000-1442440572_thumb.jpg

All ideas, informed guesses, or actual facts gratefully received.

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Apologies, more typing gremlins, yes dd not th. And it may well be a regular form; my wife said the same after I had posted.

Something different, back to gunpowder vans which were discussed a light year or two ago. I have just been reading Vol 2 of the L&Y wagons book. It says "The production of gunpowder and other chemicals for use as explosives did not feature a great deal in the territory covered by the L&Y. Only relatively small amounts were needed for mining, and what little was transported was carefully handled with minimal risk to passengers.

"It was the introduction of regulations from the Railway Clearing House which forced the company into building new vans specifically for the traffic, and the first order was placed in June 1904."

They were basically GW Iron Mink bodies on L&Y style chassis.

So I suspect that the Cambrian might not have had many dedicated gunpowder vans that early either, and they would not have been to the design we are familiar with. "GWR wagons" says that the GWR had some at the turn of the century but not like the later design which appeared in 1904. The LNWR evidently had gunpowder vans in 1903 as they were allocated a diagram number then. The Midland built its first ones in 1883 but also built some new ones in 1904. The 1883 design is rather like an Iron Mink but much lower and with a single door each side and a wooden underframe. But don't build too many as the MR only built 5 of this design.

Nothing about gunpowder vans in the North Staffs wagons book, but there is for the southern companies. The LBSCR built some in 1903-4, 

The LSWR had some in the 1880s and bought some in 1904 and the SECR had some dating from 1899. And the NBR built some in 1904. Not definite evidence but a pointer.

And I am aware that I have not taken any photos of the Newtown waiting shelter yet. If the weather clears up today I will take some and also of the canopy attached to the main building. The main building is brick but similar in design to Barmouth.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

The weather stayed fine so here are some photos of Newtown station. This was not the first station, which was superseded when the three compaines connected up here.

post-13650-0-80823600-1442500884_thumb.jpg

Newtown station from the road, apart from the very right hand side of the building. Alas the cafe only lasted a few weeks.

post-13650-0-47561000-1442500996_thumb.jpg

A similar view just about getting in the part to the right, now occupied by a hairdresser.

post-13650-0-30494300-1442501081_thumb.jpg

The former main entrance. Some nice detail to model.

post-13650-0-20439600-1442501146_thumb.jpg

Left hand gable, now the window of the booking office

post-13650-0-09610700-1442501207_thumb.jpg

Right hand gable. This area is now in commercial use (may be part of the hairdresser)

post-13650-0-96845900-1442501271_thumb.jpg

The former main entrance doors. They look pretty original

post-13650-0-68352900-1442501333_thumb.jpg

East end of main building

post-13650-0-71703000-1442501419_thumb.jpg

Close up of canopy support, east end of canopy

post-13650-0-28794300-1442501480_thumb.jpg

Ditto

post-13650-0-06732800-1442501505_thumb.jpg

General view of down platform waiting shelter from the north east. It is not possible to get a straight on view

post-13650-0-23281800-1442501581_thumb.jpg

Ditto

post-13650-0-78995600-1442501624_thumb.jpg

Close up of east end of down platform waiting shelter. There does not sem to be any sign of a partition having ever been inside or I would have thought it might have once been a secondary ticket office

post-13650-0-65072300-1442501746_thumb.jpg

Similar construction at the west end of the shelter

post-13650-0-96089400-1442501803_thumb.jpg

General view of the main (up side) building from the footbridge

post-13650-0-50812200-1442501856_thumb.jpg

East end of down platform waiting shelter. A possibiloity is that originally the footbridge led directly into the shelter and was covered, but I doubt it

post-13650-0-72694400-1442501950_thumb.jpg

A real surprise. AS close-up of one of the cast iron spandrels supporting the waiting shelter roof

post-13650-0-93331200-1442502071_thumb.jpg

Lots of the things to model. In fact there are two rows

post-13650-0-91580200-1442502130_thumb.jpg

Ditto, slightly clearer I think

post-13650-0-12698700-1442502180_thumb.jpg

General interior view of the waiting shelter, giving a good view of the spandrels

post-13650-0-64815900-1442502239_thumb.jpg

A rather dark view inside the east end of the waiting shelter. A bit of work with an editing program will probably reveal more detail

post-13650-0-42768300-1442502314_thumb.jpg

Exterior of the west end of the waiting shelter, painted brick. I am not surer what colour the original brick was

post-13650-0-38155800-1442502405_thumb.jpg

West end of main part of station building. Apart from the westernmost parts most of the windows are covered with pictures created by local school children

post-13650-0-86487500-1442502506_thumb.jpg

Central section of the main building. Some nice brickwork to model! You must be glad you chose stone

These photos have all been reduced rather to post. If Chris or anyone else wants copies of the originals, send me a PM.

Jonathan

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, more typing gremlins, yes dd not th. And it may well be a regular form; my wife said the same after I had posted.

Something different, back to gunpowder vans which were discussed a light year or two ago. I have just been reading Vol 2 of the L&Y wagons book. It says "The production of gunpowder and other chemicals for use as explosives did not feature a great deal in the territory covered by the L&Y. Only relatively small amounts were needed for mining, and what little was transported was carefully handled with minimal risk to passengers.

"It was the introduction of regulations from the Railway Clearing House which forced the company into building new vans specifically for the traffic, and the first order was placed in June 1904."

They were basically GW Iron Mink bodies on L&Y style chassis.

So I suspect that the Cambrian might not have had many dedicated gunpowder vans that early either, and they would not have been to the design we are familiar with. "GWR wagons" says that the GWR had some at the turn of the century but not like the later design which appeared in 1904. The LNWR evidently had gunpowder vans in 1903 as they were allocated a diagram number then. The Midland built its first ones in 1883 but also built some new ones in 1904. The 1883 design is rather like an Iron Mink but much lower and with a single door each side and a wooden underframe. But don't build too many as the MR only built 5 of this design.

Nothing about gunpowder vans in the North Staffs wagons book, but there is for the southern companies. The LBSCR built some in 1903-4, 

The LSWR had some in the 1880s and bought some in 1904 and the SECR had some dating from 1899. And the NBR built some in 1904. Not definite evidence but a pointer.

And I am aware that I have not taken any photos of the Newtown waiting shelter yet. If the weather clears up today I will take some and also of the canopy attached to the main building. The main building is brick but similar in design to Barmouth.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Gunpowder vans.  That is really helpful.  I think the best thing for me to do is not to have any, just maybe a covered van which we can put at the end of the train.

• RMweb Gold

The weather stayed fine so here are some photos of Newtown station. This was not the first station, which was superseded when the three compaines connected up here.

attachicon.gifPICT0011small.JPG

Newtown station from the road, apart from the very right hand side of the building. Alas the cafe only lasted a few weeks.

attachicon.gifPICT0012small.JPG

A similar view just about getting in the part to the right, now occupied by a hairdresser.

attachicon.gifPICT0013small.JPG

The former main entrance. Some nice detail to model.

attachicon.gifPICT0014small.JPG

Left hand gable, now the window of the booking office

attachicon.gifPICT0015small.JPG

Right hand gable. This area is now in commercial use (may be part of the hairdresser)

attachicon.gifPICT0016small.JPG

The former main entrance doors. They look pretty original

attachicon.gifPICT0017small.JPG

East end of main building

attachicon.gifPICT0018small.JPG

Close up of canopy support, east end of canopy

attachicon.gifPICT0019small.JPG

Ditto

attachicon.gifPICT0020small.JPG

General view of down platform waiting shelter from the north east. It is not possible to get a straight on view

attachicon.gifPICT0021small.JPG

Ditto

attachicon.gifPICT0022small.JPG

Close up of east end of down platform waiting shelter. There does not sem to be any sign of a partition having ever been inside or I would have thought it might have once been a secondary ticket office

attachicon.gifPICT0023small.JPG

Similar construction at the west end of the shelter

attachicon.gifPICT0024small.jpg

General view of the main (up side) building from the footbridge

attachicon.gifPICT0025small.JPG

East end of down platform waiting shelter. A possibiloity is that originally the footbridge led directly into the shelter and was covered, but I doubt it

attachicon.gifPICT0026small.JPG

A real surprise. AS close-up of one of the cast iron spandrels supporting the waiting shelter roof

attachicon.gifPICT0027small.JPG

Lots of the things to model. In fact there are two rows

attachicon.gifPICT0028small.JPG

Ditto, slightly clearer I think

attachicon.gifPICT0029small.JPG

General interior view of the waiting shelter, giving a good view of the spandrels

attachicon.gifPICT0030small.JPG

A rather dark view inside the east end of the waiting shelter. A bit of work with an editing program will probably reveal more detail

attachicon.gifPICT0031small.JPG

Exterior of the west end of the waiting shelter, painted brick. I am not surer what colour the original brick was

attachicon.gifPICT0032small.JPG

West end of main part of station building. Apart from the westernmost parts most of the windows are covered with pictures created by local school children

attachicon.gifPICT0033small.JPG

Central section of the main building. Some nice brickwork to model! You must be glad you chose stone

These photos have all been reduced rather to post. If Chris or anyone else wants copies of the originals, send me a PM.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

This is just fabulous.  It is so obviously Cambrian.  They loved that type of entrance, but the only two I have pictures of, I think, are Aberdovey and Barmouth.  They both came out at street level.  I think Towyn had steps up bit I am fairly certain I do not have a close up of it.  The close up details are amazing although if you had not shown me those doors I would not have known about them but now I will at least have to try.

The gabled extensions are very nice as well and could be incorporated, I think.  The east end appears to be the same as the end of Aberdovey with the Gentleman's toilet, so again is useful.  What it means is that I shall probably put the building on hold.  I had thought about sloping the entrance up to the door but I do like the look of the steps, plus that the building reaches the ground.  This could mean a narrower platform, or a wider building, or both.  Either way I will need the track laid and the platform at least designed first rather than just dropping a pre-built building onto a later one.

On final point about the main building.  I was looking in the Middleton book Barmouth to Pwllheli for a Goods shed when I noticed on the first page a picture of the original Pwllheli station, which of course was moved to Aberdovey.  The end is opposite the Gents and the first sign is 'Ladies Waiting Room' which was a good guess on my part as the blank wall at the back is probably a toilet, and the sign behind says 'Gen....  Wait....' so it is either 'Gentlemans' or 'General' Waiting Room, so again not too far out.  I really would like refreshment rooms but you need at least two if you do.

I have also realised looking at Don's holiday thread that it is not random stone that I need but stone courses.  It loks as though it will be an interesting build.

I love the shelter on the other side.  My platform on that side is quite narrow, 5cm if I am lucky.  However, a long thin building would still work, even if it is narrower than prototype.  It looks as though they have widened the platform which I am sure they have not.  As for the spandrels.  No. Just No.  No way.  I may try and get the impression but I do not think I can copy them.  They are rather nice though.  Also the footbridge again appears the standard Cambrian one, when they bothered.  I will have to have one as there are points at each end where the platforms will slope down.

Thank you very much, this is very helpful

• Like 2

Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether the regulations about barrier wagons twixt loco and gunpowder vans were introduced at the same time?

And, going back to Jonathans comment about the Brecon Forest Tramroad as yet another of this threads many asides, two or three years ago a narrow-gauge modeller was attempting to refine a model of an 0-4-0 Equine-class hayburner.  His layout was loosely based on the Manx horse trams on Douglas Promenade, with the trams-cars being powered.  To start with the horses were fixed in their shafts with loose-jointed legs dangling below and being jerked around by the jolting as it moved along (accompanied by sound effects provided by a pair of coconut shells!), but IIRC the owner was intending to improve the joints in the legs and introduce more controlled movement via unobtrusive drive rods made from fine piano wire, driven by cams from the tram-cars axles.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether the regulations about barrier wagons twixt loco and gunpowder vans were introduced at the same time?

And, going back to Jonathans comment about the Brecon Forest Tramroad as yet another of this threads many asides, two or three years ago a narrow-gauge modeller was attempting to refine a model of an 0-4-0 Equine-class hayburner.  His layout was loosely based on the Manx horse trams on Douglas Promenade, with the trams-cars being powered.  To start with the horses were fixed in their shafts with loose-jointed legs dangling below and being jerked around by the jolting as it moved along (accompanied by sound effects provided by a pair of coconut shells!), but IIRC the owner was intending to improve the joints in the legs and introduce more controlled movement via unobtrusive drive rods made from fine piano wire, driven by cams from the tram-cars axles.

Mike,

I believe there is a video of the horse on Mikkel's thread, along with another post of someone pushing a wagon.  That is a model person pushing a model wagon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The east end could well have had the gents as there is still a toilet inside, now accessed via the booking office. The urinal part might have been outside where the steps now are, and have been demolished when the access arrangements were changed.

I assume that the central space was once the general waiting room with access from the street and from the platform and probably a window to the ticket office.. There are several other spaces which could have been ladies' waiting rooms etc. But everything has been changed so much it is hard to tell.

I have a feeling that the west end may have been the parcels office, as there is a large sliding door on the platform side (I forgot to photograph it but will next time) and no access from the street side.

I didn't bother to photograph the footbridge as I thought it might be more modern but will do so. I'll also photograph the road bridge just beyond it, which also looks as if it is pretty old.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I believe there is a video of the horse on Mikkel's thread, along with another post of someone pushing a wagon.  That is a model person pushing a model wagon.

Here it is, horsing about begins at 1:00.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan,

Thank you for these.  All pictures are gratefully received.  The one of the end of the building has two interesting features, the supports for the canopy go from the white stone line to the roof, and the end appears to be a cross between dressed stone and random stone.  The picture of the front brought home to me that although below the white line the stones could be 'Cotswold' stones, above the line is the random dressed stone again.  I will go back and look at the other images of other stations to see what looks best.

The picture from the hill, and there are many taken from that position but on yours it struck me what a fine building, in my opinion it is.