Worseter - update

Killybegs

Here's a copy of the General Arrangement drawing (from GWRJ No. 5) showing the pony truck.

post-7952-0-17934400-1424173990_thumb.jpg

I think it must be Christmas. None of the brake hangers in my goody box were the correct pattern, so I decided to borrow some from a Martin Finney Hall kit (on the basis that I can look around for some replacements). On taking the packs of etches out of the box, I found some more loose etches underneath. Surprise, surprise, they were the body etches for the 61xx. These appeared to be rejects, as there are some problems with the etches;  Martin must have slipped them in to enable me to complete the chassis for which he had already let me have the etches. Martin, you are a star. Needless to say, I found them after I had scratch built the cylinder wrappers and the bits I was missing on the pony truck. Looking at the etches, I think at some point in the future I may build another 51xx to lurk on shed (and won't need motorising, etc.) I do, however, now have all my brake gear, wheel weights and a few other bits and pieces. 

I wasn't going to post any more picture updates for the time being, but as I am here ...........

post-7952-0-14261000-1424173950_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

That is looking jolly good now! Really captures the look of the real thing which I think is the best looking tank engine ever, bar none.

I'm still collecting parts for mine and yesterday a Comet chassis arrived from Mainly Trains. I really must resist the temptation to make a start though until until I've cleared the decks bit!

• 2 weeks later...

John,

You are doing an excellent job here, Shame the Finney chassis is not available separately. 

I seem to recall the Comet one is a bit of a compromise in the cylinder/slidebar area. IIRC the slidebars are too close together which means that when you fit wheels with the correct crank throw (as we all should!), then the con rod fouls the lower slidebar. Clearances on the prototype were tiny with a 'cutout' on the end of the lower slidebar to allow the con rod to clear in its lowest position.

Got a photo taken at Didcot somewhere.......

Tony

John

Did you alter the pony trucks in any way? Rubbing plates, additional weight? I'm part way through a 45xx and having had problems with these types of ponies in the past I was hoping for some new ideas to help keeping it all on the rails.

Your engine really looks the part...even if it's missing some :-))

Mike

Hi All,

What a fantastic thread this is Killybegs - I'm glad I've found it! Just wonderful atmosphere on the whole lot - structures and stock alike! Here is a picture of No. 4144s slide bars in the lifting shop at Didcot today to illustrate the point about the cut out - I hope it helps! The driver's side connecting rod is in the top of the picture, then the slide bar and the wheel underneath.

All the best,

Castle

post-14393-0-18071000-1425165826_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

John

Did you alter the pony trucks in any way? Rubbing plates, additional weight? I'm part way through a 45xx and having had problems with these types of ponies in the past I was hoping for some new ideas to help keeping it all on the rails.

Your engine really looks the part...even if it's missing some :-))

Mike

Mike,

The front pony truck was built as per MF instructions, but I used the spring wire that controls lateral movement to also exert downward pressure. This was done firstly by bending it down. The design has the outer end of the wire located in a hole in the rear upper cross member of the truck. I drilled a further hole in the front cross member and carried through the wire on through this. This keeps a reasonable amount of pressure on the truck and further controls the lateral movement.

The large prairies have a radial rear axle. The design uses the same principle as that for the pony truck. I ignored this and used two spring wires bearing on the top of the radial 'box' that contains the rear axle. This means that load is always applied to each end of the axle. These spring wires are quite short and the rear axle therefore carries quite a load. The body is heavily weighted with the CG over the centre drivers. Without the body, the rear springs raise the drivers well clear of the track!

I have a MM 45xx waiting to be built as well!

• Like 1

Hi All,

What a fantastic thread this is Killybegs - I'm glad I've found it! Just wonderful atmosphere on the whole lot - structures and stock alike! Here is a picture of No. 4144s slide bars in the lifting shop at Didcot today to illustrate the point about the cut out - I hope it helps! The driver's side connecting rod is in the top of the picture, then the slide bar and the wheel underneath.

All the best,

Castle

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for that. Fortunately, the Finney kit has the cut out etched in the top of the lower slide bar.

• Like 2

John.

A very nice looking model. It's certainly not disgraced by its humble origins against the Finney thoroughbred.

Can't help thinking a few, nice, ex-LMS and BR standards would complement that shed view!

Dave.

John,

Really excellent work, nice weathering and a great photo. Just a suggestion on what to do next - you could finish the second mogul :D

Robin

I would if I could find it Robin. It appears to have gone walkabout!

John,

I think you need to build a Britannia.  I have a Welsh friend that would find that very exciting.

Cheers...Morgan

All in good time. It would be a shame to not use those nice wheels you modified for me!

Before doing any more work on the layout, I need to fix a batten to the wall above where the back scene will be. This will carry the back edge of a dust sheet who's front edge will be capable of being raised and lowered. It will also require a batten to be fixed to the ceiling over the layout. Fortunately most buildings and the signals are removable, so that's a few less things to damage but I will have to be careful of the track, turn out levers, etc.

I should also get on and build the loco shed (already started a while back). It will be interesting to see how those etches I had done for the roof walkways and handrails go together!

• RMweb Gold

The prairie looks nice. One of the advantages of living near a preserved line is I saw 4160 (I know a bit of a cheat)  arriving at Minehead with 6 chocolate and cream coaches when getting fuel for the car. A train that would look good on Worseter.

Don

The prairie looks nice. One of the advantages of living near a preserved line is I saw 4160 (I know a bit of a cheat)  arriving at Minehead with 6 chocolate and cream coaches when getting fuel for the car. A train that would look good on Worseter.

Don

Maybe if I was modelling GWR or the preservation scene! In BR(W) days, chocolate and cream coaches were generally only used on express passenger services and unlikely to be hauled by a large prairie. My 'Cornishman' set of nine chocolate and cream coaches is normally under the charge of Totnes Castle.

post-7952-0-59329700-1425457488_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Maybe if I was modelling GWR or the preservation scene! In BR(W) days, chocolate and cream coaches were generally only used on express passenger services and unlikely to be hauled by a large prairie. My 'Cornishman' set of nine chocolate and cream coaches is normally under the charge of Totnes Castle.

attachicon.gifCastle and pannier 4w.jpg

I would be just as happy to see the Castle. I did see them through Reading with the Chocolate and Cream coaches. I think the Mayflower used to stop and pick up passengers.

Don