Worseter - update

Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

Superb work there John.

I too have only just found this thread....such a lot on here to keep up with!

I'm particularly impressed with your 'cobbling' work. Scribing is the only way to model convincing cobbles/sets in my view. 

• RMweb Premium

At 14-06 .

And the same to you John; thank you for sharing your work with us - it's one of my real pleasures when I see you've posted an update to the forum.

At 14-14.

Blimey , Andy knew what was coming , be afraid , very afraid .   :scared:

Edited by Sidecar Racer

At 14-06 .

At 14-14.

Blimey , Andy knew what was coming , be afraid , very afraid .   :scared:

Don't panic! Immediately after checking my the posting, I deleted it as I wasn't happy with the presentation, but Andy had beaten me to it! I reposted it after going back into Photoshop to play around with the lettering. Hence the seemingly out of order postings. Sorry to spoil the fun! And yes, I know I could have just edited the post but I had a must have had a senior moment!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow! Must be very satisfying for you to see things turning out so well after all those years (if I remember correctly you've had this project planned since before Clinkerford?).

The design is clever I think, because we get the grand sweep of the embankment but also the detail of the canal/factory/shed scene.

Wow! Must be very satisfying for you to see things turning out so well after all those years (if I remember correctly you've had this project planned since before Clinkerford?).

The design is clever I think, because we get the grand sweep of the embankment but also the detail of the canal/factory/shed scene.

Worseter was started when we moved into our new house, so that would be early 2002. I worked on it for about a year but, during that time I collected Clinkerford from where it was in storage in the UK. When the boxes were opened and Clinkerford erected, SWMBO wanted to know why it wasn't finished! (It had been on the exhibition circuit for eight years in various stages of completion).Over the next eight years, work stopped on Worseter while I finished off Clinkerford (very slowly as I was still working and also concentrating on my photography). Once Clinkerford was sold, work recommenced on Worseter, the fiddle yard could be lowered into position permanently and 'repaired' and I started by building rolling stock and a couple of locos. The rest, as they say, is history!

• Like 2

The factory is pretty well finished. While the first coat of paint is being allowed to harden, I have turned my attention back to locos, in particular an elderly Airfix GWR Prairie Tank that I picked up second hand. The plan is to upgrade the body and put it on a Martin Finney chassis (which I just happen to have lurking, unbuilt, in my stock cupboard).

As the weather is keeping me indoors today, I decided to make a start on one side. Moulded handrails, tank steps and solid steam pipes have been cut off and footplate and steps have been thinned down. The front of the smokebox has been removed, I will be scratch building a new one.

Photoghraphs do highlight where there's a little more scraping to do on a couple of the handrails!

Before .....

post-7952-0-41780900-1420990464_thumb.jpg

After .......

post-7952-0-76226300-1420990470_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-69368200-1420990475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The factory is pretty well finished. While the first coat of paint is being allowed to harden, I have turned my attention back to locos, in particular an elderly Airfix GWR Prairie Tank that I picked up second hand. The plan is to upgrade the body and put it on a Martin Finney chassis (which I just happen to have lurking, unbuilt, in my stock cupboard).

As the weather is keeping me indoors today, I decided to make a start on one side. Moulded handrails, tank steps and solid steam pipes have been cut off and footplate and steps have been thinned down. The front of the smokebox has been removed, I will be scratch building a new one.

Photoghraphs do highlight where there's a little more scraping to do on a couple of the handrails!

Before .....

attachicon.gif4109.01.jpg

After .......

attachicon.gif4109.02.jpg

attachicon.gif4109.03.jpg

Will be following this with interest, one of the best looking tank engines on any railway!

Work is progressing on the Prairie. I decided that before going too far, I should actually mate up the Airfix body with a Martin Finney chassis (borrowed from another loco). I had already checked that it was basically OK but I needed to check ride heights, etc. Initially it sat high at the front but this was largely cured by thinning the valances where they clashed with the cylinders and motion brackets. The final correction was achieved by a little thinning of the footplate at the front of the loco.

post-7952-0-65451600-1421164276_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-42787200-1421164598_thumb.jpg

I have also been working on the bunker. The coal and cab rear section was removed from the body and the cab and bunker fender cut off and cleaned up. The cab rear was extended to floor level and tool boxes and other internal detailing added. The rear edge of the roof was thinned to look more prototypical and to allow the rear to be inset. There's still some tidying up to do here.  The top edges of the bunker were thinned down as much as possible.

A false bottom was put into the bunker to take real coal in due course. This was set at a level to line up with the notch that I cut in the top of the bunker to match the bunker fender. The original fender was tidied up and extended down to meet the new false bottom. The butchery was tidied up with a little Milliput filler. 

The last job was to fill the two gaping holes in the bunker that take the Airfix chassis.

post-7952-0-56553100-1421164283_thumb.jpg

The floor to the bunker will be fitted later after weight has been added. A chassis retaining nut will be firmly secured to the upper side before fitting. I need to make up some sort of backhead detail in the cab before fitting the floor to that.

• Like 10

John,

How does the Airfix body compare dimensionally against the prototype?

Are you going to change the Chimney and Safety Valve?

Tony

Tony,

Dimensionally it's pretty good. As this is a 'budget' project, the chimney and safety valve will stay. It will be out-shopped in BR unlined green, so the safety valve cover will be painted anyway.

John

• Like 1