RMweb

AIMREC - Ashford International Model Railway Excellence Centre

I thought this was going to be built in the old works here, so this is a new build?

Ashford%20Works%201%20640_zpsmpqddhwd.jp

What gave you the idea? It has always been a new build on the old wagon works site.

The building in your picture is part of a retail and homes development. We did look into being in part of this development but the costs to adapt the building within Grade II listing regs would be prohibitive, alongside issues of road access and parking.

With a new build we have better control over shape and environment which is vital to keep the models in ideal conditions.

However we have been offered items/features from the main loco shed to use in AIMREC.

Martin

• 4 months later...

We will be doing a public display and consultation 19-20 September at the Ashford Designer Outlet before submitting which hopefully will be the final planning application. We have had to do some redesign of the building and car parking to keep in line with the council requirements and requests.

In the meantime we have been dismantling, reparing and storing some rather large layouts that have been donated to the centre.

Martin

• 6 months later...

They would have been daft to turn it down. This is going to bring a lot of visitors and income to the town.

In my personal experience, note experience NOT opinion, planning department decisions don't always reflect the guidance given to applicants at the time of application...... :(

Edit, the application in question was business related, but not on the same scale!

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

In my personal experience, note experience NOT opinion, planning department decisions don't always reflect the guidance given to applicants at the time of application...... :(

Edit, the application in question was business related, but not on the same scale!

Sadly, my experience of planning parallels yours. Bad enough  when they gave pre-app guidance for free but our lot now charge.

Sadly, my experience of planning parallels yours. Bad enough  when they gave pre-app guidance for free but our lot now charge.

The main reason for charging for pre-application advice is that too many commercial developers were taking the Australian lager by effectively getting the planning department to do their research for them at the taxpayers' expense.

You don't normally need pre-application advice for typical householder applications unless they're complicated; all the information you need is generally available on the web. If it is an unusually complicated householder application, then paying for professional advice is not unreasonable. And commercial applicants ought to be paying all the costs they incur anyway, not expecting the council to pick up the tab.

• RMweb Gold

The main reason for charging for pre-application advice is that too many commercial developers were taking the Australian lager by effectively getting the planning department to do their research for them at the taxpayers' expense.

You don't normally need pre-application advice for typical householder applications unless they're complicated; all the information you need is generally available on the web. If it is an unusually complicated householder application, then paying for professional advice is not unreasonable. And commercial applicants ought to be paying all the costs they incur anyway, not expecting the council to pick up the tab.

I agree with all the above. But how does that justify the council charging for advice which they then ignore themselves?

I agree with all the above. But how does that justify the council charging for advice which they then ignore themselves?

Pre-application advice is only advice to the potential applicant about how best to ensure that their application is compliant with relevant laws and policies. It isn't advice as to whether or not an application will be successful. 

The only way to know for certain whether a planning application will be successful is to apply for it.

• RMweb Gold

Pre-application advice is only advice to the potential applicant about how best to ensure that their application is compliant with relevant laws and policies. It isn't advice as to whether or not an application will be successful. 

The only way to know for certain whether a planning application will be successful is to apply for it.

So you are told that your proposed application is in line with "policy". And then they make a decision which must therefore be out of line with policy.

How is that reasonable? What is "policy" for?

• 2 months later...

The latest news according to Kent On Line is that planning consent has been granted by Ashford District Council. There's also a grant application going in to help fund various other bits of the project. If I can find the link I'll post it here.

As a slight aside, the EU has granted via local development agencies £75,000 for 5 heritage railways in Kent to help with publicity to help promote tourism.heritage-railways-get-a-boost-96586

Edited by roythebus

As a slight aside, the EU has granted via local development agencies £75,000 for 5 heritage railways in Kent to help with publicity to help promote tourism.heritage-railways-get-a-boost-96586

No, it's a grant from the British Government, not from the EU: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/whats-on/news/heritage-railways-get-a-boost-96586/

The Chinnor & Princes Risborough have also been awarded a grant under the same scheme to get back to P.R.

• 9 months later...

I spoke to Cliff and Rupert (I think?) at Ally Pally last weekend, asking how the project was coming along.

Although planning consent was given last year, it appears that the proposed site has contamination issues and the cost of decontamination is prohibitively expensive.

Something AIMREC cannot afford to pay for alone, unless the land purchase cost can be adjusted accordingly.

Apparently, Ashford borough council have offered a variety of alternative sites, all within the same area and within walking distance of the railway station.

I got the impression that the alternative sites were less than ideal.

Hopefully an official update will be issued in the near future, but it looks as if the realisation of this project could be slipping back a few years.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

That's unfortunate but entirely predictable on such a former industrial site. It is why there is such pressure to build homes on Green Belt rather than "brownfield" as the cost of decontamination can be so high.

But one has to wonder about the professional competence of those involved in the project. One should not spend a lot of time and money on planning consents before checking that the land is "fit for purpose". If  they go to a new site, all the planning process has to be gone through again.

• 1 year later...

Any further news on this project.

The AIMREC web site hasn't been updated for what must be a couple of years now.

It still shows artists renderings of the original design, which was changed, based on the original proposed site, plans for which have since been scrapped.

The last meaningful FaceBook entries were posted early last summer (almost a year ago).

The Twitter account appears to have been dormant for about 4 years.

The set back of having to lose the original planned site for AIMREC must have been a bodyblow to the project.

Is this dream just fading away in the background ?

They were at York as well and I was able to have a chat with Cliff and Len. Things are still moving on, they have more space in the old works than was planned in their own building and they are working on how to fit that space out. If they're now part of a larger project, of course, they can only move at the speed of the whole thing.

• Like 1