Seen any results from Form1 Printer?

I have read a few reviews of the Form 1 SLA printer but not seen or heard of anyone seriously using one for model railway applications.

Has anyone seen any actual results or good photos of prints from the Form 1? I wonder if it comes close to the results Rabs has been getting from his B9Creator.

I would also be interested in any feedback of the durability and longevity of the finished parts, as this is an issue with some SLA resins.

Although it would be nice to have my own printer, I haven't seen anything affordable that can do good quality and sufficient build size for my models. For now, I am continuing to use Prime Gray from I.Materialise and getting pretty good results provided I work within the limitations of the material.

• 8 months later...

I'm interested in both of these machines (Form1 and B9Creator). Now that they have both been available for over a year, I've been trying to find more information on the Form1. I've just been reading this: http://kelsorj.wordpress.com

The author has had two Form1 machines and neither has printed his test piece all that well.

At one point he compares his calibration model with one printed on a B9 Creator. An interesting comment about the B9 resin (not sure if it is "red" or "cherry"): "It has the tactile feel of wax and a strong press with a fingernail leaves an indentation."

At the end of the day the B9 Creator still seems to come out on top. My only worry is the self-assembly nature of the B9 kit: there seems to be a large chance of messing up the calibration when assembling it (hinted at by threads such as this: http://b9creator.com/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=2179.0

If I were to go for a B9 Creator, it'd have to be using one of the other available resins (e.g. Spot HT).

Guy

It took me about 6 months of trials to get to the point where I could consistently expect successful prints with my B9.  Others have found it easier, and there's a lot more information about now than when I started.  That's not to say that I didn't have successes before then and that I haven't had failures since.  I'd recommend the spot-HT resin over any of the others if you dont't need to metal cast things.

One thing to watch out with the Form 1 is that they generally don't put a scale bar next to their photos.  I had a rather frustrating conversation with one owner where he insisted that the Form1 printed the eiffel tower with better detail than the one on the B9.  It took quite a while (and about 5 repetitions) to get him to realise that his print was about 4x larger!  No wonder those 'super thin' details came out :)

Hi Rabs, I'm yet to build my B9, had it about 2 weeks now but not had the time to concentrate on the build properly yet.  There is a course at the distributor's (iMakr) on Monday 3rd Nov which I'm going to, I'll start the build after that.  I'll let you know how I get on :)  I think you're right Rab's there is a lot more content around now to help you build and calibrate, hopefully I'll get on ok.  

I've a bottle of Cherry and Red resin - what are the benefits of the spot-HT over the B9 stuff? 

Cheers Al

I've found that it's:

• Mechanically stronger and stiffer
  • Doesn't smell as bad
  • Doesn't feel waxy after printing
  • Is more tolerant of slightly incorrect print settings
  • Doesn't degrade the PDMS as badly
  • Holds small details better
  • Additional strength means small details are more likely to survive
  • Less prone to cracking after time in the sun

Basically, it's better in every way except it's slightly more expensive and that you can't cast it.  It gets underrated on the B9 becuase it's no good for jewellery (because you can't cast it) and most users are making jewellery. However, it's great for models.

The Spot HT is capable of creating the smallest details - I've got some parts where an unsupported wire came out successfully - I'll post some pics later.

In terms of assembly, the B9 is pretty straightforward - the instructions on the website are very good - allow the best part of a day for it though.

I have a B9 and a Form 1, and I'll be honest, I don't really use the Form 1 at all, the B9 is much better for small scale stuff, so I'm probably going to sell mine and use the funds to upgrade my B9 to the latest spec.  The B9 is better for 'pushing the envelope' as well - you can tweak all of the settings easily, it's not all wrapped up in proprietary settings.

Anyone want to buy a Form 1?

Good sales job! :P

I think my standards are excessively high - it's probably good enough for most people!  I know of others who are getting good results with theirs - the biggest problem I have is the lack of time to work out how to get the best out of it.  The B9 arrived first, so I've got that working brilliantly and know how to use it better.  Because of that, it's the default 'go to' when I need to do something.

Kev - If you do decide to buy one, let me know - I'll do you a good deal and I'm not too far away from you.

I think my standards are excessively high - it's probably good enough for most people!  I know of others who are getting good results with theirs - the biggest problem I have is the lack of time to work out how to get the best out of it.  The B9 arrived first, so I've got that working brilliantly and know how to use it better.  Because of that, it's the default 'go to' when I need to do something.

Kev - If you do decide to buy one, let me know - I'll do you a good deal and I'm not too far away from you.

So many toys, so close to Christmas :D Better send a letter to the bearded one.

We have a newt model, Form 1+, at work. It is slightly like the envisiontec machine where you have to really experiment with the angle of the build and support materials. Great resolution, but requires experience and finesse to produce usable models. They have really made me think about what I can produce at my custom scale with a block of (small) metal and hand files,

Cheers,

A

Hello Bluebell

Any thoughts on the robustness and stability of the Form1+ prints?

Have they shown any signs of warping in the time you have had them?

Have you tried painting them to see if they take paint well?

No warping, the material or resin is quite flexiable so probably need slightly thicker walls... but nothings broken off.
No not tried painting them they were going to be used as demo pieces showing the differences, But have painted a similar one from a local company, but the quality was a tad better and a bit more strong. But the form labs print might be down to the curing process to harden it.. maybe it had been sent before it had finished that process.

Looking at the posts above, reminds me of the early days of home computers in the mid 80s. I did eventually buy a NewBrain  computer (no comments from you lot either!) running CP/M. Using a printer needed "bit twiddling" as a Laskys salesman informed me, with storage on a tape drive. I'll wait until these 3D printers become commodity items. I don't want someone twiddling with my bits, thank you.

Dennis

Looking at the posts above, reminds me of the early days of home computers in the mid 80s. I did eventually buy a NewBrain  computer (no comments from you lot either!) running CP/M. Using a printer needed "bit twiddling" as a Laskys salesman informed me, with storage on a tape drive. I'll wait until these 3D printers become commodity items. I don't want someone twiddling with my bits, thank you.

Dennis

We all like to wait a while to see how things develop, it was years before I bought a digital camera.

Without the early investors things would never progress.

The Form1+ is worth keeping an eye on as it is one of the few "affordable" 3D printers (along with the B9 creator) which can potentially offer quality similar to the best available from Shapeways, i.Materialise, etc. because it uses Stereolithography.  

Almost all the numerous other home-based printers are the "extrusion" type and simply not capable of producing smooth, detailed models.

There is a good review of the Form1 at http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/07/08/form1-3d-printer-review-renishaw/  Interesting that the print quality holds up against printers costing up to 36 times more.  I would think seriously about a Form1+ apart from the fact that most of my S scale models, apart from 4-wheelers, are too large.  Even ordering from i.Materialise (Prime Gray), I have to orient some models at 45 degrees to fit within the maximum build size (yes, they allow that).

Archived