13 hours ago, Corbs said:

Three pre-grouping style locos. The two BPs alongside a Sharp Stewart 'Larger Seagull' rebuilt with a superheated boiler (different to the Phoenix-type ones they were trialled with).

Perhaps if I made another Beyer Peacock 4-4-0 it could represent one rebuilt with a superheater like the scores of NSWGR locos that appeared in Saturated and Superheated forms, so maybe with my coveted Belpaire firebox but also a jutting smokebox. I quite like the whole 'similar but different' vibe.

71B0F340-E9CA-45FD-AA06-3D17F32A9E1F_1_105_c.jpeg.86d1e544d76bba04fa564bc85720f781.jpeg

Not to nitpick Corbs, but it does look like the dome on the 4-4-0 is a little proud, otherwise lovely work. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, scots region said:

Not to nitpick Corbs, but it does look like the dome on the 4-4-0 is a little proud, otherwise lovely work. 

Yeah it's a pretty meh casting of a Hornby Dean Single dome whereas the tank loco just uses the Hornby dome, might just replace it :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the current setup for the cylinder mounting on the Prairie. Extended stretcher with brass reinforcement and an 8BA bolt holding it on. Need to make up some longer slide bars and con rod.

D7F3378F-F7B2-4CA2-B716-5834634A7E99_1_105_c.jpeg.2bc473820a2671a391c8f034b8ed827e.jpeg

Also popped in to Temple Meads today to see this beauty depart. Took some pics and thought about videoing the departure but opted to just watch it in the end and save it inside my memories, it was pretty magical.

3F2ED793-A0AA-41D3-AFB8-36321C7F779A_1_105_c.jpeg.c388d3bad51c6136f75cf5fd81c42350.jpeg

#selfie 

2A37F804-2BFF-46FB-A7DF-EEB8D69DFC82_1_105_c.jpeg.f88f5301cd3a855a19d3a99963ba3dc9.jpeg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 19

19 hours ago, Corbs said:

Here's the current setup for the cylinder mounting on the Prairie. Extended stretcher with brass reinforcement and an 8BA bolt holding it on. Need to make up some longer slide bars and con rod.

404E3E04-9CE4-4BBD-AFC1-5BFAC007DB95_1_105_c.jpeg.d733af40b18dc006e31088fc053569b4.jpeg

Hooray, the Scottish Twins finally join the Sudrian Histories crew! They going in NWR blue or Caley blue?

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/12/2021 at 18:35, RedGemAlchemist said:

Hooray, the Scottish Twins finally join the Sudrian Histories crew! They going in NWR blue or Caley blue?

Vauxhall Regatta Blue, natch ;) 

On 14/12/2021 at 05:52, LMCFTW The Gunzel said:

What’s going on with your Rapido J70? Is it going to be Toby or something? It’s just cause I’m curious.

It sits on the shelf looking pretty and yes eventually it will :) 

Took some measurements off the 812s now they are here and printed off some lining sheets, enabling the third tender to be painted blue and be paired with the Sharp Stewart modified 21 class. Previously this had a Caley 123 tender but I could not get the chassis to run right so in the end it was easier to ask Alec for a printed one. I like the idea it's inherited a tender from one of the Beyer Peacocks.

Varied the usual NWR branding on this side for a bit of interest.

16532875-7886-4FE1-93E0-8CA41783BD11_1_105_c.jpeg.1b04c75ff2588e76587f10f35da2e9be.jpeg

The 2nd tender gets Sodor & Mainland branding as before. Still needs bufferbeam detailing adding but will do that after lacquering.

Got some Markits washout plugs in the post thanks to Roxey Mouldings. Drilled a hole with the pin vice and then held the soldering iron against them to melt them into the styrene a bit. They are being painted by spraying the Ford Laurel Green into a yoghurt pot (duly emptied beforehand) and using a very small brush to build up layers of green.

27A30FC7-02FC-4D1B-B2B7-99139517C84E_1_105_c.jpeg.6e912501d35b7cefada4f7513235f05c.jpeg

Definitely helps break up the flat firebox sides. Needs a reach rod I think, and some other gubbins like fall plate, cab steps, tender coupling etc.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

It kinda sucks that I’m just getting the Bachmann Donald and Douglas models and not 2 Rails Caledonian 812’s instead. But Corbs what’s your spiteful brakevan gonna be, because mines on the workbench.

I’ve kinda decided instead of it just being the stock standard Hornby LNER Toad Brake, it’s an NWR design that was directly inspired by the ones the LNER built.

30AFCBAB-6A93-4221-95FD-2259DAD5E8F6.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm loving the Beyer Peacocks Corbs, they really do look excellent. Glad to see some more representation from the Sodor & Mainland too. Can we assume given the second tender that there is a further BP in the works...?

2 minutes ago, Player of trains said:

Posting that photo of Rood Ashton makes me feel a lot better about them :laugh_mini:

When you mentioned the tender looking a bit low, it was the loco I thought of immediately. 

But a higher-sided coal space would be another way to introduce some variation in the family of similar designs. 

Off on another tangent, has Corbs found one of these at a cobbleable price yet?

5FC7EDBB-611F-4A94-8650-043E2E5A6EC3.jpeg.4ef579812eddddf324cc25dfe8068bdc.jpeg

(Tri-ang Transcontinental Baltic tank). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

When you mentioned the tender looking a bit low, it was the loco I thought of immediately. 

But a higher-sided coal space would be another way to introduce some variation in the family of similar designs. 

5FC7EDBB-611F-4A94-8650-043E2E5A6EC3.jpeg.4ef579812eddddf324cc25dfe8068bdc.jpeg

That's truly amazing! - I don't think I've ever seen one un-warped. In fact it's quite a good model - I've never noticed the balance pipe behind the cab step and the rivets are good. The tank fillers are a bit 2D and the Westo pump has become embedded in the boiler, but even so... I seem to remember years ago someone doing an article in one of the magazines - Practical Model Railways maybe? about converting one of these to a slightly more British outline and putting it in Hull & Barnsley livery. Maybe a cancelled colonial order from Glasgow or Tyneside?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2021 at 00:29, Corbs said:

Varied the usual NWR branding on this side for a bit of interest.

Ah, you're one of them rogue CMEs. The Board won't be amused!

I like the Sodor & Mainland lettering. The shading makes a big difference.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

That's truly amazing! - I don't think I've ever seen one un-warped.

Probably because the majority of them were in the old cellulose acetate rather than styrene. The colour changed from black to maroon soon after they began to mould them in styrene and it was effectively replaced in the early 1960s by the Continental 2-6-2T.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LMCFTW The Gunzel said:

So I recently obtained a magazine that contained an image to the Adams tender engine.

Except that that is of course a Beyer, Peacock M&GN Class A, in its 1920s rebuilt condition. Eight of these engines were built for the Lynn & Fakenham Railway in 1882-3 and a further seven for its successor, the Eastern & Midlands, in 1886-8. (The E&MR was taken over by the MR and GNR as the M&GN Joint Railway in 1893.) The similarity to the L&SWR 135 Class built by Beyer, Peacock in 1880-1 is interesting, to say the least. In his first years at Nine Elms, Adams, like George Beattie before him, was reliant on Beyer, Peacock for new engines. Adams' 4-4-0s for the Great Eastern Railway showed no signs of the elegance of design that was to appear in his L&SWR locomotives, so one is forced to wonder where the design should be attributed more to the Gorton drawing office than the Nine Elms drawing office.

Beyer, Peacock built similar engines for export in the 1880s, for New South Wales and for Argentina. This has been discussed elsewhere, this post et. seq., though I'm now a bit more inclined to give Beyer, Peacock rather than Adams the credit:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2021 at 05:39, LMCFTW The Gunzel said:

It kinda sucks that I’m just getting the Bachmann Donald and Douglas models and not 2 Rails Caledonian 812’s instead. But Corbs what’s your spiteful brakevan gonna be, because mines on the workbench.

I’ve kinda decided instead of it just being the stock standard Hornby LNER Toad Brake, it’s an NWR design that was directly inspired by the ones the LNER built.

I was thinking about going for an elderly pre-grouping brake van style, along the lines that all of the events in this alternate universe are backdated.

On 16/12/2021 at 09:04, NeilHB said:

I'm loving the Beyer Peacocks Corbs, they really do look excellent. Glad to see some more representation from the Sodor & Mainland too. Can we assume given the second tender that there is a further BP in the works...?

Could be! Alec printed a couple of extra ones so I though it would be good to seize the opportunity. Someone suggested a Mogul variant of the Prairie design like the C30(T) NSWGR conversions, or 9351 on the WSR for that matter.

On 16/12/2021 at 20:42, Player of trains said:

They look excellent Corbs, especially nice to see them complete No.2, in your honest opinion do you think the tender could do with a few more mm of height to the body? I do think they're a bit low alongside your models and the 0-6-0 I'm building but not jarringly so. 

I quite like the height to be honest, the previous tender I had was very large and dwarfed the loco a bit too much.

On 16/12/2021 at 21:04, Mol_PMB said:

I'd never seen one of those before! Looks like good COBBLIN' fodder though!

• Like 3