Hi Jinty, Plenty going on 47710 is a beast I have been tempted to get one in this Livery myself, the 47/8 looks pretty good too though I wasn't a fan of them at the time as it seemed to be all we got down our way for a while.

Looking forwards to seeing how you go with 47333 I think I have a pic of this loco but in Dutch liv. One of my fave liveries way better than the grey. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I always seem to of bitten off more than I can chew, but I couldn't allow a sub £40 Bachmann 47 to get away!!!

I've decided to repaint this other body in 'Dutch' after all, as 331 was only in all grey for a short time.

All these new locos keep taking the money out of my stopped smoking pot, and severely hampering my ability to purchase a nice 50, 56 or 60 when they come along. But I'm sure I'll find one soon enough

Jinty ;-)

I'm awaiting for some decoders for 37431, so I thought that I would start to put all her finery on the noses.

I then got hold of a picture off the internet (Google this time), and noticed something !!!!!

There is a unit, painted orange sitting right next to the lamp iron, on the right of the nose. It's obviously some electrical connection, but it's missing off the model.

2 small pieces of 40thou" plastikard painted yellow, and a couple of bits out of the 'bits' box, and I think that it looks a lot better. Even more so once it's weathered. Talking of which, I've started weathering the chassis, a dry brush with some rust, followed with some rust powders to start things off. This is only the start, it will all get toned down in due course.

post-14906-0-30901300-1407341206_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the ESU's will turn up tomorrow.

Jinty ;-)

I'm awaiting for some decoders for 37431, so I thought that I would start to put all her finery on the noses.

I then got hold of a picture off the internet (Google this time), and noticed something !!!!!

There is a unit, painted orange sitting right next to the lamp iron, on the right of the nose. It's obviously some electrical connection, but it's missing off the model.

2 small pieces of 40thou" plastikard painted yellow, and a couple of bits out of the 'bits' box, and I think that it looks a lot better. Even more so once it's weathered. Talking of which, I've started weathering the chassis, a dry brush with some rust, followed with some rust powders to start things off. This is only the start, it will all get toned down in due course.

attachicon.gifWRX215.jpg

Hopefully the ESU's will turn up tomorrow.

Jinty ;-)

Thats the E.T.H. socket you've added Jinty, on the Bachmann model they've got the socket end of the cable on the buffer beam but as you've spotted it's actually on the nose

Thats the E.T.H. socket you've added Jinty, on the Bachmann model they've got the socket end of the cable on the buffer beam but as you've spotted it's actually on the nose

It's actually only completed pictures in post No 47, I think this is the link: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82495-wrexbury-more-locos-on-the-go/?p=1418303

It wasn't such a bad job, the 08 has to be stripped down to the bare chassis block whilst you cut about 4mm square off the top front edge of the block, then feeding all the wires over the top of the motor is the next most difficult bit.

If you decide to do it, go for a very small decoder, such as the DCC concepts 4-function version, but there is no room for the stay alive!!

Jinty ;-)

It's actually only completed pictures in post No 47, I think this is the link: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82495-wrexbury-more-locos-on-the-go/?p=1418303

It wasn't such a bad job, the 08 has to be stripped down to the bare chassis block whilst you cut about 4mm square off the top front edge of the block, then feeding all the wires over the top of the motor is the next most difficult bit.

If you decide to do it, go for a very small decoder, such as the DCC concepts 4-function version, but there is no room for the stay alive!!

Jinty ;-)

I feel the need to prove I can be a craftsman  :paint:  coming on here Jinty, oh well only my honour of being a "man" at stake  :jester:

Hi Peter,

Yes, I always seem to of bitten off more than I can chew, but I couldn't allow a sub £40 Bachmann 47 to get away!!!

I've decided to repaint this other body in 'Dutch' after all, as 331 was only in all grey for a short time.

All these new locos keep taking the money out of my stopped smoking pot, and severely hampering my ability to purchase a nice 50, 56 or 60 when they come along. But I'm sure I'll find one soon enough

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty, 

Yes for 40 quid you would be mad to say no. Good luck with the Dutch Duff I will follow your progress on your workbench thread.

Congratulations on giving up the Smokes, I was never a smoker myself but I know it's hard to give it up. I have been looking for a class 56 myself and finally got a nice blue 56082 off ebay though it wasn't that cheap. 

Cheers Peter.

I feel the need to prove I can be a craftsman  :paint:  coming on here Jinty, oh well only my honour of being a "man" at stake  :jester:

How the hell did I post the 08 reply on here, I thought I'd done it on your thread!!!! Sorry

If Pendleford sidings is anything to go by, you'll manage it with ease ;-)

Hi Jinty, 

Yes for 40 quid you would be mad to say no. Good luck with the Dutch Duff I will follow your progress on your workbench thread.

Congratulations on giving up the Smokes, I was never a smoker myself but I know it's hard to give it up. I have been looking for a class 56 myself and finally got a nice blue 56082 off ebay though it wasn't that cheap. 

Cheers Peter.

Yes it is hard, 6 weeks this Monday, but loving the extra cash, oh and the extra oxygen in my lungs!!!!

Yes I'm finding 56's and 60's rather dear, from all areas. But I'm sure one will come along.

Jinty ;-)

How the hell did I post the 08 reply on here, I thought I'd done it on your thread!!!! Sorry

If Pendleford sidings is anything to go by, you'll manage it with ease ;-)

Yes it is hard, 6 weeks this Monday, but loving the extra cash, oh and the extra oxygen in my lungs!!!!

Yes I'm finding 56's and 60's rather dear, from all areas. But I'm sure one will come along.

Jinty ;-)

Kal uses the ebay watch list.....to look out for items he is interested in and just.....waits......until one come in at a reasonable price.

Hi Jinty, 

Cheers Peter.

I'm after a 56 myself but I want one in Trainload Metals livery, I see plenty in Coal sector but very few in Metals.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I've seen a picture of this loco, in a pretty poor (paintwork) condition when they moved back south?

'Scotrail' removed from the side and the light blue line quite faded.

If anyone can point me in the right direction,

Evening Jinty

Been away so only just caught up. Its not this one you're thinking of is it?

post-6922-0-89212500-1407521051.jpg

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0998050143210

Evening Jinty

Been away so only just caught up. Its not this one you're thinking of is it?

attachicon.gif249_47706rev_051013.jpg

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0998050143210

Yes, that's the one, although I'm not sure I'm up to that sort of quality workmanship!!!!! :O

706 it was then, I knew I'd seen a picture of a badly faded one, but that's just, well, neglect!!! Bet passengers wondered if they'd actually get to their destination :O :no: :no:

Thanks for the link and picture, I wonder if the fading could be manipulated with either some T Cut or a gentle abrading with a fibre brush??? Get an old wagon and find out eh? :paint:

Jinty ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jinty

My loco is a Heljan that had the wrong upper body colour from new, so I had to respray into executive grey but first I primed with Halfords grey. Once I had masked off where the ScotRail logo was I used the fibre brush to wear through to the primer randomly and then gave it washes of light grey as well as normal weathering. It's not 100% authentic but it gives the right impression.

Hi Jinty

My loco is a Heljan that had the wrong upper body colour from new, so I had to respray into executive grey but first I primed with Halfords grey. Once I had masked off where the ScotRail logo was I used the fibre brush to wear through to the primer randomly and then gave it washes of light grey as well as normal weathering. It's not 100% authentic but it gives the right impression.

Still excellent work, none the less.

I must have a play with methods I haven't used before, I've used a fibre brush on the odd wagon, but not a loco yet!!!

Jinty ;-)

The much unloved and neglected TMD area has had a small makeover (well the start of one!!!) :O

I thought it was about time, as I'd started this bit before the main layout, but it just got side tracked. It'll give me somewhere else to take photos too!!! :declare:

All masked up last night........

post-14906-0-72469900-1407607353_thumb.jpg

And after about an hour and a half with the airbrush, and two and a half tinlets of Humbrol 121, mixed 50/50 with celly thinners :sungum:.......................

post-14906-0-34322600-1407607367_thumb.jpg

And from the other side........

post-14906-0-40801200-1407607379_thumb.jpg

Leaving the masking on as I've got to mask out the coloured working floor area inside the shed, and paint that in a very deep red, I've got some EWS maroon knocking around somewhere!!!

The next job is to make the Scalescenes Diesel Depot kit, as that will be going on the far two sidings. :locomotive:

Jinty ;-)

Looks good JInty, but why paint the shed floor red? I don't remember seeing red floors in depots back in the day. That's not not to say there weren't any painted red but I don't remember seeing it.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-23920500-1407633727_thumb.jpg

Looks good JInty, but why paint the shed floor red? I don't remember seeing red floors in depots back in the day. That's not not to say there weren't any painted red but I don't remember seeing it.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, thanks,

you're right, shed internal pictures for the late 80's early 90's show that they hadn't started being clinical about the work environment as much as they are now. That started with the H & S revolution of the 2000's!!!!! :O :o

Concrete it will stay, so it's just paint the inside of the pits and then after I've finished bringing the Hornby depot up to scratch a bit more, making the Scalescenes one for the other side. Work today, so hopefully I'll get a bit done this evening :senile:

Jinty ;-)

Just caught up with the thread jinty and have to say its looking the nuts...the hard standing for the new TMD looks very impressive too.

in fact after a very rough night out around town last night (and feeling very sorry for myself today) reading your thread may have just give me enough 

motivation to get up of my bum and get up into the loft to do some work on the layout but i just need to find a way to stop my head spinning first tho lol.

Keep the updates coming and the ideas so i can steal them as my brain just wont function enough to come up with my own lol.

Terry

Just caught up with the thread jinty and have to say its looking the nuts...the hard standing for the new TMD looks very impressive too.

in fact after a very rough night out around town last night (and feeling very sorry for myself today) reading your thread may have just give me enough

motivation to get up of my bum and get up into the loft to do some work on the layout but i just need to find a way to stop my head spinning first tho lol.

Keep the updates coming and the ideas so i can steal them as my brain just wont function enough to come up with my own lol.

Terry

Thanks for that, although I think ideas and inspiration are gleaned from each other on a forum like this. Which in itself is fantastic. I for one admire your layout, and many others on here, and I try to aspire to the levels of craftsmanship shown by others, usually failing, but trying is the main thing!!!

The hard standing is quite simple, I left the 1/16 cork sheet in place, I used 1/8 sq balsa strip, laid out into a supporting configuration, and then 40thou" plastikard sheet on top.

This lets the rail head sit slightly proud to aid with track cleaning etc. In between the track, I've just used 40thou" plastikard, cut into 10mm strips and glued to the sleeper tops, then another 40thou" strip 12mm wide laminated on top. It does leave it slightly lower than the surrounding hard standing, but you can't tell from a distance!!!

As for the spinning head, close the trap door once you're up there, save any broken limbs!!!

Jinty ;-)

Archived