The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

How does the new version run compared to the old model?

Cheers.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I haven't tested the new version on the track yet - will do that tonight when I get home from work. The old version has always run very smoothly even at low speeds.

I have been enjoying your US Victorian buildings - we have a similar architectural style here in New Zealand due to the abundance of timber and likelihood of earthquakes (although the buildings are naturally a smaller serving size than their US counterparts).

Here is a photograph I took on our way to visit family last week, this was built in 1872.

post-20290-0-11848300-1412822245_thumb.jpg

Cheers

John

Swev, you're  a brilliant modeller, no question about it, but those figures with glossy caps, overalls and clubs for hands.....

Cheers.

Allan needs a coat of new paint

Yes I discovered that although the new locomotive has no protrusions in the cab, there is not actually enough height in the cab for anyone to stand up! Possibly why they no longer supply the loco with a crew! So the figure in the cab is an old plastic crew member in a sitting pose that came pre-painted at some point with an older loco - I touched in the flesh colours but his cap and jacket certainly needs a matte re-paint. The standing figure on the platform is from the Monty's range which usually has great detail - but I have to agree that his hands are very club like.

...we have a similar architectural style here in New Zealand due to the abundance of timber and likelihood of earthquakes (although the buildings are naturally a smaller serving size than their US counterparts)....

I spent Christmas and New Year 2012-2013 in NZ with TLHC's family.  Most of our time was round Auckland/Waiheke* where TLHC's sister's family live in Grey Lynn, and I loved the Villa style round there with the corrugated roofs on the porches which made me think of GWR Pagodas.  I'm tempted to try to build one...

*I did wonder when you posted the picture across the sea from the beach if the mountain in the background was Maungawhau/Mount Eden. Looking at a map I can't work it out!

I spent Christmas and New Year 2012-2013 in NZ with TLHC's family.  Most of our time was round Auckland/Waiheke* where TLHC's sister's family live in Grey Lynn, and I loved the Villa style round there with the corrugated roofs on the porches which made me think of GWR Pagodas.  I'm tempted to try to build one...

*I did wonder when you posted the picture across the sea from the beach if the mountain in the background was Maungawhau/Mount Eden. Looking at a map I can't work it out!

That photograph was from Cheltenham beach (near Devonport on the North Shore) looking across the channel to Rangitoto Island. Yes there are lots of nice old villas in Grey Lynn. My wife has suggested I build a model of our house which dates from about 1910, but has been changed several times down the years - it would be a real fiddle to model due to its crazy roof lines.

post-20290-0-13334000-1413342551.jpg

Cheers

John

John

Having been directed over here by Jaz, I've just lost 2 hours worth of modelling time. :O

Some seriously stunning work on the buildings including the foliage. :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: The attention to detail in all areas is something that I can only hope to emulate.

John

Having been directed over here by Jaz, I've just lost 2 hours worth of modelling time. :O

Some seriously stunning work on the buildings including the foliage. :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: The attention to detail in all areas is something that I can only hope to emulate.

Hello Duncan

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through the thread and your nice comments (and for all the likes - I thought there had been a system error when I saw how many I had!). I have just been reading through your exciting new layout thread - looking forward to developments.

Cheers John

Following a particularly busy period at work and finishing off DIY I have managed to get back to finishing off the footpaths around the station. Steve143 provided some useful photographs of the station approach showing that the station entrance footpath had a stone edging and a tarmac surface in recent times. I have extrapolated backwards in time (guessed) to determine what the footpaths may have looked like in early LMS days. I decided that they would have been paved rather than covered in tarmac. 

I used card when making paths for the Tudor cottage which resulted in a good surface texture, but decided I needed more precision for the curb stones and have used plastic strip, with mortar gaps filed every foot or so. The paving slabs are also from plasticard - all with a rough spray of grey primer at this point.

I have cut strips of plastic and glued them to each other to build up paved areas. These areas will then be surrounded by the curbs stones.

post-20290-0-30366200-1413850906.jpg

The curb stones filed into 1 mm by 1.5 mm plastic strip every 4 mm or so. Hoping to get some more done this evening.

post-20290-0-93935200-1413850910.jpg

Hi John

I have often had a quick look on your thread in the past and always meant to pop back for a longer read, this morning I've managed that and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

There are methods used that I find similar to my own and a few other ideas too so I will be back. I just wish there were one or two Tudor buildings in the area of Devon I model but sadly I'm yet to find one, Oh well, best stick to the stone then.

You may find your ratings have increased a bit too.

I'm sure I'll be back for another look sometime.

Jim

Evening John

A quick question for you. When you started the Tudor building, which adhesive did you use for the lolly sticks?

Hi Duncan

I used PVA wood-working glue which I use for all sorts of things around the house (the one I use is called Selleys Aquadhere Exterior from my local DIY store).

Cheers

John

Wow what a great layout Sweven ! It's really inspired me to crack on with scratch building a few buildings for my layout.

My fledgling layout is of Barnt Green, a few stations up the line from Studley and Astwood Bank, but in reality our layouts couldn't be further away from each other !

Thanks for sharing your fantastic efforts, liked and followed !

Sam

Hi John

I have often had a quick look on your thread in the past and always meant to pop back for a longer read, this morning I've managed that and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

There are methods used that I find similar to my own and a few other ideas too so I will be back. I just wish there were one or two Tudor buildings in the area of Devon I model but sadly I'm yet to find one, Oh well, best stick to the stone then.

You may find your ratings have increased a bit too.

I'm sure I'll be back for another look sometime.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Welcome and thank you very much for your ratings and taking the time to read through it all. Just as you would like to build a Tudor building I would like to try a thatched cottage at some point, but I haven't found any in the layout's neighbourhood.

I have really enjoyed reading through your layout thread this morning; some brilliant buildings, scenery and scratch building (thinking of wheelbarrows, hinges and trees in particular). From the first page I was very impressed with the cattle dock which is one of the next items I need to tackle for Studley. The effort sticking on the individual stones to the dock and station platform was certainly worthwhile. Your carriage shed construction is superb and I liked your trick to construct the pantiles. Very jealous of your new shed.  But in all the wonderful modelling you have done in the last year the part that impressed me most was your use of colour and weathering - the brick cottage and foliage in particular. I will enjoy following your progress.

Regards John

Wow what a great layout Sweven ! It's really inspired me to crack on with scratch building a few buildings for my layout.

My fledgling layout is of Barnt Green, a few stations up the line from Studley and Astwood Bank, but in reality our layouts couldn't be further away from each other !

Thanks for sharing your fantastic efforts, liked and followed !

Sam

Hi Sam

I have been following your new layout with great interest as I had read a lot about Barnt Green when researching Studley. I think it is an excellent location to model - really looking forward to seeing your progress (between studies).

Regards John

I made a tiny bit of progress last night with the paths, extending them along the entrance road and adding the first piece of edging - all still in grey primer at this stage. Once painted I plan to add a little more gravel to the roadway to bed them in. I'm thinking that loose stones would tend to be spread to the edges. Having said that, old photographs of entrance ways to other stations on the loop line, show what appears to be very smooth macadam surfaces with little loose material, so I may yet scrape back more of the surface.

post-20290-0-70714700-1413930411.jpg

Looking good, John.  Trying to get the approach roads and little fill-ins on mine done at the moment, although have increasingly few visits to the railway to do so.

Your house looks lovely & brings back memories of my visit to NZ - it would be quite a job to model it, though!

Over the weekend I constructed the awning for the house door and also the extension on the side of the shed in the previous photograph. The earliest photograph I can find shows that this extension did not have a roof (it has currently got a glass roof) and the interior is white-washed bricks. Something I have read suggests it was a urinal so I have gone with that and started construction.

Here are some progress photographs from the workbench.

Work starts on the awning - four pieces of plasticard and some tiles...

post-20290-0-89330200-1414446911.jpg

The completed awning receives some paint and work starts on the urinal.

post-20290-0-27014800-1414446918.jpg

The awning in place.

post-20290-0-88013300-1414446922_thumb.jpg

First paint and pipework for the urinal - looks like a busy week at work so progress may slow to a trickle...

post-20290-0-30425500-1414446925.jpg

Over the weekend I constructed the awning for the house door and also the extension on the side of the shed in the previous photograph. The earliest photograph I can find shows that this extension did not have a roof (it has currently got a glass roof) and the interior is white-washed bricks. Something I have read suggests it was a urinal so I have gone with that and started construction.

Here are some progress photographs from the workbench.

Work starts on the awning - four pieces of plasticard and some tiles...

attachicon.gifAwning0.jpg

The completed awning receives some paint and work starts on the urinal.

attachicon.gifProgress1.jpg

The awning in place.

attachicon.gifAwning1.jpg

First paint and pipework for the urinal - looks like a busy week at work so progress may slow to a trickle...

attachicon.gifProgress2.jpg

I have THAT tool, and never thought of using it for modelling....DOH

urinal.......did you ever see act-mr's nasty attempt at a urinal......smelly stinking......probably very realistic LOL.....the choice of green stain......was VERY evocative.... :O

Archived