The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

Unlike westerhamstation I wasn't able to nab any suitable cotton from the wife's sewing box - in my case to use for the signal pulley wires rather than a fence. All the cotton in the sewing kit had more hair than a Highland Cow, so I have ordered some EZ Line which will take a few days to arrive from Australia.

In the meantime I have started work on the semaphore starter signal opposite the signal box as shown in this photograph. It is a classic MR lower quadrant wooden post signal which I am constructing from the MSE kit (S4/KM5).

My soldering is painfully slow, but it seems to hold together. The hardest part so far has been opening out the holes to the correct diameters.

The 'wooden' arm and spectacles plates are constructed first:

post-20290-0-48401800-1409782613.jpg

And then the post, cut down to the correct length, drilled with 0.8 mm drill for the axle for the arm and with fittings added. I haven't dared to try any 70 degree white metal soldering so the post fittings are attached with CA glue. 

post-20290-0-94841600-1409782616_thumb.jpg

I have drilled the 0.4mm holes in the lever arm for the operating cables (attached to the casting sprue at top right) but I need to get a #73 drill bit today to open the holes to attach the lever arm to the post.

It is always those little lines in the instructions such as "File down the sides of the bracket so it matches the width of the post." that can take so long! However that was achieved, the holes were drilled out to the correct diameter, the balance weight attached and the bracket and lever arm are now attached to the post. As a bonus the lever arm moves on its bearing as expected. The next step will be to construct the platform and ladder.

post-20290-0-68690300-1409869926.jpg

Apologies for the quality of these photographs.

post-20290-0-46335300-1409869930.jpg

Thanks everyone for taking a look at the signal.

It was a busy weekend. I started by building a new cupboard fir dog food and on top of this a new "Station" - for charging phones and tablets (the top lifts off and underneath is a wall plug with USB sockets).

post-20290-0-34956500-1410124652_thumb.jpg

Spring has also sprung, so there was time to go to the local beach for a walk in the sunshine.

post-20290-0-94067500-1410124654.jpg

And then some further progress on the signal. Soldering the handrails was challenging, but I am happy with the outcome. Next steps will be to clean it up and get some paint on.

post-20290-0-07069500-1410124748_thumb.jpg

A nice arrival in the post today - the Bachmann Midland 1F. I couldn't resist popping it onto the fledgling layout with the new signal and taking some quick photographs. Here they are.

The signal is in roughly the right location, but not bedded down yet.

post-20290-0-62286800-1410476486.jpg

I popped a fireman into the cab, but from this angle all you can see is the top of his shiny cap.

post-20290-0-46868900-1410476490.jpg

And one in black and white for good measure

post-20290-0-79277000-1410476530_thumb.jpg

The next step for the signal build is the pulley wheel and then the cabling and pulley posts. So last night I started putting together the necessary parts, beginning with the 10" pulley wheels. There were two or perhaps three further signals to the south beyond the road bridge carrying The Slough (A448) over the line. These will be off the edge of the layout (the bridge will be the boundary) but their cables run along the embankment bottom from the signal box. Similarly there were two further signals to the north towards Redditch and also double point rodding from the signal box running north to the yard entrances.

The pulley wheels are from the Brassmasters half-etchings. I put five together and as I made the fifth one I was thinking very proudly to myself that I had managed to make them all without dropping one and having to crawl around on the floor. Guess what happened next.

post-20290-0-23055200-1410817690.jpg

The EZ Line has arrived, although I believe the version I obtained from Australia is re-branded (I got to the distributor via the EZ Line website). It is 0.08 mm thick, hard to snap, stretchy like a rubber-band and smoother than the mayor of a large city closer to you than to me. I had concerns about threading it through a couple of dozen 0.4 mm holes that I reamed out in the signal pulleys - however it is surprisingly easy to work with (under decent light) and it didn't take me too long to string it up. Because it is stretchy snagging it is not a problem as it just bounces back into place.

Here are some progress photographs. Firstly the product itself.

post-20290-0-64615300-1410991777_thumb.jpg

Then a view of the threaded signal cables.

post-20290-0-06150100-1410991781.jpg

And another of the new 1F posing for the stationmaster.

post-20290-0-07261800-1410991784.jpg

A nice arrival in the post today - the Bachmann Midland 1F. I couldn't resist popping it onto the fledgling layout with the new signal and taking some quick photographs. Here they are.

The signal is in roughly the right location, but not bedded down yet.

attachicon.gifoners.jpg

I popped a fireman into the cab, but from this angle all you can see is the top of his shiny cap.

attachicon.gifcab2.jpg

And one in black and white for good measure

attachicon.giftwobw.jpg

Signal looks the business.

I have completed the signal pulleys and installed them opposite the signal box. It was quite a fiddle threading the cables and rods. Two of the pulleys are spare for use to the north and the signal rods to the yard will be installed at a later date. I also built the walkway that crosses the cables and rods in front of the box. My first attempt was from coffee stirrers but it was too chunky so I reverted to plasticard sanded for wood grain effect.

post-20290-0-64921900-1411935545_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-42844000-1411935573.jpg

This photograph is very similar to the first one, but with a different focal length.

post-20290-0-46899200-1411935622_thumb.jpg

Absolutely fantastic work. The level of detail makes it all the more special. It's funny how you notice little things after they've been pointed out. I was stood at a car dealership on saturday, gazing up at the viaduct leading into Huddersfield station, when I suddenly realised that the strange little fence posts I was looking at were actually relics from the past:

post-15693-0-62686100-1411980576.jpg

(I was actually taking ref pics of the stonework colour)

I have completed the signal pulleys and installed them opposite the signal box. It was quite a fiddle threading the cables and rods. Two of the pulleys are spare for use to the north and the signal rods to the yard will be installed at a later date. I also built the walkway that crosses the cables and rods in front of the box. My first attempt was from coffee stirrers but it was too chunky so I reverted to plasticard sanded for wood grain effect.

attachicon.gifComplete1.jpg

attachicon.gifCloseUp1.jpg

This photograph is very similar to the first one, but with a different focal length.

attachicon.gifComplete2.jpg

absolutely gorgeous looking, details like this are what really lift it above the average model.

The skew bridge looks devilish.. check it out as I pan left...

Ah yes, that would be a challenge. Some 'interesting' angles. The half arch is strange, perhaps a change down the years? And the detailing along the top of the girder is really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

A new visitor to the line is Hornby's new R3020 Fowler 4P tank. One of the first OO locomotives I bought was the R055 version of this tank (in 1981 I think) so I was curious to see how this revamped version compared. At the time I thought the first version was a very good representation.

The chassis, wheels and brake detail of the new version are certainly much improved and the valve gear is finer. One of the most noticeable improvements is the chimney. The new version has separate grab-rails rather than moulded as part of the body, sprung buffers, much finer lining, makers plates and additional rivets and detail such as the sliding roof vent. It no longer has a protrusion in the cab interior, but doesn't come with crew like the original.

I am certainly still impressed by the detail of the 34 year old version!

Apologies for the quality of lighting in this photograph. I needed to get out some better lamps but just back from holiday and too many other chores to attend to!

post-20290-0-79573400-1412799110.jpg

Here is the new version with a much older Hornby coach! Mr Fotherington is not impressed and continues to read his racing tips.

post-20290-0-16800400-1412799114.jpg

Archived